Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

pump recommendations

Hi all,

I'm currently expecting baby #1 (due Sunday!) and am planning to BF, and of course this will require pumping once I start back to work (after 6 weeks). I am researching my pump options, and plan to get one of the higher-end non-hospital grade pumps (in the $200-$300 range). I'm currently considering three models: the medela Freestyle, ameda purely yours (perhaps the purely yours ultra), or the hygeia enjoye. I know most people who've had the medela pump-in-style and the ameda purely yours are happy with them, but thought I'd fish for input on this board

Also, I'm not starting back to work right away, so was planning to postpone my purchase until end of Nov, but my sister suggested getting the pump sooner so I can get used to it. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement

mrosehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pump recommendations

I have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced shoulder bag, and I really like it. I bought it from a local lactation consultant who sells breast pumps & bras, and she said she recommends the Pump in Style over the Freestyle.

I am not going back to work until December 1st, but I got the pump early. I don't pump often now, but it has been nice to leave the house a few times without the baby and get a little break. My parents watched him while my husband and I went out to dinner, and my husband has stayed with him while I went to the store or had lunch with a friend. Plus it is nice to feel confident about the pump so I'm not worried about it when I go back to work. Also, if you have any engorgement early-on, it will be nice to have the pump available for some relief.

The only drawback is that the nipple that comes with the pump and bottles has flow that is too fast for my little guy (6 weeks old), so I do have to pour the milk into another bottle with a true slow-flow nipple. (I like Playtex Drop-Ins.)

For pumping hands-free, I put ponytail ties around the flanges and hooked the free end of the elastic on my bra clip. I got the idea from another poster in this forum who posted this: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html.

PM me if you have questions about the pump!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!

Last edited by sandy_dandy; 10-19-2009 at 10:03 PM.
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, Sandy! Any idea why she recommends the pump in style over the freestyle? I'm very tempted by the freestyle's smaller size, but probably its smaller size = less durability/reliability or something like that...

And I saw the ponytail ties hand-free link before -- very clever!

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The freestyle is absolutely AWESOME, especially the hands free aspect. I found it to have the same output as PIS imo. I've pumped just about every day with it and about to go full time pumping during the day in the next week or so.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just had baby # 1 and had to go back to work at 6 weeks also.

I would agree with a lot of the first post. I too have a PIS, and I love it! Somehow mine didn't come with nipples, but the Medela slow flow nipples I bought separately are way too fast for my little guy. For hands-free, I just cut slits in a tight front clasp bra. It doesn't seem too mechanical to me, but it might to some people. My pump and I have a pretty great relationship most days...hehe.

I'm Pmable if you have any questions about the PIS!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosehughes View Post
Any idea why she recommends the pump in style over the freestyle? I'm very tempted by the freestyle's smaller size, but probably its smaller size = less durability/reliability or something like that...
I think it was because the Freestyle is more expensive than the Pump in Style, and Cindy said she doesn't think it's worth the extra $$ because the PIS is a good pump. I am pretty sure that's it, anyway... she doesn't keep the Freestyle stocked at all so I don't completely remember. (But I loved buying from her because it was cheaper than at the store - no big overhead because she sells out of her dining room! )

The PIS is sort of bulky to carry, but I like that they built it into a shoulder bag so it doesn't scream "breast pump!" when you carry it.

Oh, you probably know this part, but just in case... make sure breast feeding is well-established before giving your baby a bottle. It's a good idea to wait until baby is a month old. (If you have to pump early to relieve engorgement, you can freeze the milk for later.)

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!

Last edited by sandy_dandy; 10-20-2009 at 09:55 PM.
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
superchikjh
Registered Users

I LOVE the Medela Pump in Style. Without it I may not have continued breastfeeding since I ended up getting blisters so bad I couldn't BF for awhile. When I went back to work at 7 weeks I was able to pump in my office with the door shut and nobody ever knew, it was so quite. I was able to work full-time and BF/pump until my daughter was 13 months, thanks to this pump.

I was also so impressed with Medela when I had the little plastic part that the tubing hooks onto crack they sent me the replacement parts next day and walked me through how to fix it. FOR FREE!!!!

I just got my pump back out and am re-sanitizing the parts in preperation for my sons arrival in Nov. Hopefully I won't have to use it until I go back to work!
superchikjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Carolina Kel
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thought that I would throw my Ameda heretic hat into the ring... I personally love my Ameda Purely Yours. I've recommended them to any mom that is EP'ing for the following reasons:

- It's easy to clean. All of the parts - the horns, valves, and boots come apart for cleaning. No crusty milk to pry out of the valves.
- It's small. My pump, car adapter, and 4 horns, 4 bottles and bits all fit into a soft-side lunch bag. I've used it on the plane, in a car, and lots of other places. It travels incredibly well.
- Safer for pumping. Because of the design of the horns, the milk does not back up into the tubing if you are prolific in your output. That way, nothing gets into the motor.
- Cheaper than the PIS. The purple Lansinoh pump is actually an Ameda and can be purchased for about $120. It does not come with a totebag, cooler bag, additional bottles, etc. that the Ameda PY does, but if cost is an issue, the Lansinoh is the way to go. You can also get additional supplies for the Ameda online (mothersbotique.com is my favorite place, as well as Ebay).

I'm an EP'er, and I've used my Ameda since day 1 when my son was in the NICU. It does the job and I wouldn't use anything else.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the Ameda comment! I've been reading about them as well, and from what I've seen, although they're not as common as the Medela pumps, people who have them love them... So hard to decide!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
CrazyBoysMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have the Ameda, too. I really like it. I also used my sister's PIS while DH was in ICU and I had to leave DS with my parents @ 10 weeks old. Both are great pumps. They each have 1 thing over the other for me: the PIS has the auto cycling thing, and the Ameda is a fully closed system, no worries about milk in the motor. Wish I could combine the two.
CrazyBoysMamma is offline   Reply With Quote