Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
~Amy~
Registered Users
seller

Throbbing Pain! Help!

DD is 10 mos old. She is exclusively BF.
For the past week my nipple has been very sore and for the past 3 days or so everytime she nurses on that side I get throbbing pains in my breast. Its killing me!!
I would assume its her latch, but you would think, at 10 mos she's got it down right?
Any advice?

Advertisement

~Amy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
snazzymom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Throbbing Pain! Help!

My dd is 9 months and occasionally I have had this too. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is either. I chalk it up to bad latch (I'll use a nursing pillow again and make sure she is at a good angles. etc) OR clogged duct (I have them sporadically so I take lecithin daily) OR mild thrush (I only treated this once...and you can search online about Grapefruit Seed extract - so I took that for a few days and the pain went away). So yeah I wasn't totally helpful right...lol. Hopefully I gave you some suggestions to help out a bit though.

-Tara
snazzymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
snazzymom
Registered Users
seller

ohhh and I have also used Motherlove nipple cream which really does help any soreness you have pretty quickly!
snazzymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking possibly thrush, too.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
~Amy~
Registered Users
seller

Thanks. I do believe your all right.
Now onto how to treat it
~Amy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
libertywrap
Registered Users

If you have a clogged duct it can turn into mastitis (a breast infection/thrush) When I got a breast infection my mother, who used to get them all the time, told me about Phosphorus. Its a homeopathic remedy and I don't know how exactly it works but it really does!!! You can't eat or drink anything for 15 mins on either side of taking homeopathic stuff. There are also no side effects and it won't harm your baby or anything (just to relieve your mind if you were wondering) Another sort of random thing that really works is to put cabbage leaves in your bra. Just like one leaf on your breast. That is actually something that my midwife told me. It really helps too but it is more of just a pain relief thing. The phosphorus is best at getting rid of it. You can get it from a local health food store. But if it hasn't yet turned into mastitis, the best thing is to get your baby really sucking a lot on that side. Mainly because it is the sucking and milk flow that will unclog the duct. It hurts but it works way better than avoiding that side as it just gets worse.

Last edited by libertywrap; 10-21-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelled wrong of course
libertywrap is offline   Reply With Quote