Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Is a bottle or 2 a day of BM enough to help w/immunity?

So, the breastfeeding thing is just not working out for us... and I'll admit up front that I can't handle pumping 8-12 times a day like the IBCLC suggested. DS is doing really well on formula (and finally is gaining weight, sleeping, and happy) because I just don't make more than about an ounce(ish) at a time for some reason. (We've done several nurse & weighs at the BF store, so I know how much he was taking in)

Here's my question: I really want him to get SOME bm for as long as possible, so I'm pumping 4-5 times a day and getting about 5 ounces total (and that's on MMT, MMP, and oatmeal)-- which is enough for 1 1/2 bottles for him. Is that even enough to be beneficial? I tried searching for how much breastmilk it takes to help build immunity but I couldn't find anything... does anyone know?

Advertisement

Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is a bottle or 2 a day of BM enough to help w/immunity?

Wow that is still great ! Do not stress about it, any amount of breastmilk is really good. Do not feel that you have to hit a certain number to be helpful. What your doing is really hard while taking care of a newborn and two other children.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:

One really cool thing about breastmilk is that even if the volume decreases (such as into toddlerhood) the milk just becomes more concentrated.
So a toddler who is only eating twice a day is getting the same amount of antibodies as an infant who eats 8 times a day. It's like the body has X amount of antibodies to put into the milk each day, and the same amount is transferred no matter how many oz are made....it's only the concentration of antibodies that changes to meet that goal
~Ryleigh's_Momma~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
alabamafamily
Registered Users
seller

I'm glad I read this post. I've been exclusively pumping since day 1. My milk started drastically decreasing at 4.5 months, so I had to start supplementing. Every single day I want to give up the pump, but it's good to know that what little I am giving him is beneficial. Thanks.
alabamafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much mamas-- that's so good to know! My IBCLC said that if I'm not pumping 8-12 X a day I'll dry up, but so far that hasn't been true-- I can still pump the same amount as I did 4 days ago (maybe even a little more) and that's only pumping 4X a day (I can't pump anything out at night anyway). Hopefully I'll be able to keep giving him at least 1 bottle of BM a day for a long time.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

yes mama DEF any breastmilk it is better than none. I give my 2 adn 4 year old around an ounce or so a day just to help them with getting sick with all this nasty stuff going around! Keep up the good work mama you are doing wonderful!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah if you arent pumping a lot, your supply will go down. Will it dry up? that just depends on your body. I was pumping for my surrogate dd and eventually got less and less, and that was pumping around every 1.5 hrs!

Any amount is good, but I can't say for sure if its enough to ward off all the sickies, but its better than nothing. You can also go to the HFS and get a good powdered probiotic. I have the Jarrow brand and its called Jarrodophilus. You add 1/4 tsp into a bottle daily. Its hard to give it to my dd because she doesnt take a bottle, so I am slacking. I need to begin giving her 1 oz of water w/ the probiotic in it so that she can get it in her, even with being bf, I still want to get the probiotic in her.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
momtoLirael
Registered Users

When we went to a LLL meeting I was told that the milk banks consider 8oz to be a theraputic dose of bm. so 8oz/day.

I have low supply too and when I first went back to work I would get one ounce after pumping for 30 min every 2 hours(so 3-4 oz for a full day of work). using mmp special blend and fenugreek, and alfalfa I am now up to almost 2oz/2hours and only 1-4oz formula per day at 3months old. So it can get better, but don't stress if you don't get there. Anything you can do for your babe is great.
momtoLirael is offline   Reply With Quote