Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
connorsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty learning- what incentives do you use?

My son is doing great. We have been in underwear for 6 days now, and with only 1-3 accidents per day.
when he has an accident I take one of his favorite toys away til he pees on the toilet again.
but when he does go, i have been giving him stickers, and chocolate chips.
he has yet to go poo on the toilet... any tips?

oh, and today.. as of 9pm NO ACCIDENTS!!! (except when i put him in a diaper to go to the grocery store, he pooped..)

Advertisement

Korin mommy to connor 1/11/07 and Addison 11/15/10 due with baby #3 11/10/15
wahm behind Shizz Knitz
connorsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Cute Little Bugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty learning- what incentives do you use?

I gave DD stickers and we had M&Ms I think. We would do a bigger treat for poop - like a lollipop. Good luck!!
Get 5% off with code DSFIVE
Cute Little Bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Gitrecca
Registered Users

I'm probably not much help cause my son is only 18 months... he's only pooped on the potty twice, but he pees usually 2-4 times a day. He really enjoys calling his grandparents and telling them about it (or at least listening to them be excited). That is truly the only reward he's ever gotten, because it works so well. He loves to use the phone. Maybe something like that would help? Making a big deal out of being able to call someone that he loves to tell them he pooped on the potty?
Gitrecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
twirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsmama View Post
My son is doing great. We have been in underwear for 6 days now, and with only 1-3 accidents per day.
when he has an accident I take one of his favorite toys away til he pees on the toilet again.
but when he does go, i have been giving him stickers, and chocolate chips.
he has yet to go poo on the toilet... any tips?

oh, and today.. as of 9pm NO ACCIDENTS!!! (except when i put him in a diaper to go to the grocery store, he pooped..)
Seems kinda harsh to take his toys away for an accident.

We did positive reinforcements only - treats, stickers, bubbles, etc.

Disclosure: DD learned naked, and didn't have an issue with pooping in the toilet. That said, I can't imagine punishing her for an accident, especially while she's still learning.

You can encourage him to poop on the potty, reward him when he does, but he's going to have to get to it in his own time.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
gil
Registered Users

Gummi bears. One for a pee and three for a poo. It takes time but it and patience.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirl View Post

We did positive reinforcements only - treats, stickers, bubbles, etc.

You can encourage him to poop on the potty, reward him when he does, but he's going to have to get to it in his own time.
Yeah, that. I don't think it's a good idea to punish him for accidents. I know I had accidents until I was an older child and would have been mortified if my parents had punished me or told me it was my fault. I don't think that's healthy. How old is your son?
Gitrecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some of the best advice I received on potty training/learning is that once you put your kiddo in undies- no more diapers- not for going out, not for naps and not for night time. It worked out great for us as he knew that diapers were done- no switching back and forth for naps or going out which can confuse a kid. He has NEVER had an accident when we were out of the house. He did have accidents at night a couple of times and during the day for a week- 2 weeks. Yes, it was a bit annoying to have to get up in the middle of the night and change him and his sheets but we knew he was just learning and so we never got upset or acted annoyed to him- we just kept saying- "it's o.k.-we'll clean you up- next time tell mommy and daddy that you have to go potty and we'll take you to the toilet to go, o.k.?" Then hugs and back to bed. It was amazing to me that with a little bit of encouragement, he pretty much took over and did it on his own. We did NOT do any stickers, rewards, treats or punishments- just said something like "Great job buddy- poopoo and peepee go in the potty- you did it! "and clapped like crazy when he went in the potty. After a couple of weeks of this praise- we phased it out and didn't make going potty a big deal as it was already part of his normal routine. That was maybe 3 months ago and it's been so great to have only one in diapers! Anyway- best wishes to you guys on this journey- I highly encourage you to rethink punishments and even to rethink rewards other than some praise as those can be difficult habits to break once the child becomes accustomed to going in the potty.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Calgary SHAM
Registered Users
seller

I had a piece of poster paper I taped to the wall behind the potty we called it "potty paper" and every time she used the potty, she could pick out a sticker to put on the paper (as well as get massive cheering and a song/dance from me). This worked for us because she LOVED stickers, what does your son LOVE to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirl View Post
Very much so, you should NEVER punish him for an accident.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidreader View Post
Some of the best advice I received on potty training/learning is that once you put your kiddo in undies- no more diapers- not for going out, not for naps and not for night time. It worked out great for us as he knew that diapers were done- no switching back and forth for naps or going out which can confuse a kid. He has NEVER had an accident when we were out of the house. He did have accidents at night a couple of times and during the day for a week- 2 weeks. Yes, it was a bit annoying to have to get up in the middle of the night and change him and his sheets but we knew he was just learning and so we never got upset or acted annoyed to him- we just kept saying- "it's o.k.-we'll clean you up- next time tell mommy and daddy that you have to go potty and we'll take you to the toilet to go, o.k.?" Then hugs and back to bed. It was amazing to me that with a little bit of encouragement, he pretty much took over and did it on his own. We did NOT do any stickers, rewards, treats or punishments- just said something like "Great job buddy- poopoo and peepee go in the potty- you did it! "and clapped like crazy when he went in the potty. After a couple of weeks of this praise- we phased it out and didn't make going potty a big deal as it was already part of his normal routine. That was maybe 3 months ago and it's been so great to have only one in diapers! Anyway- best wishes to you guys on this journey- I highly encourage you to rethink punishments and even to rethink rewards other than some praise as those can be difficult habits to break once the child becomes accustomed to going in the potty.

Ditto to everything!! We did the same thing with DS, and after 2 weeks, he was accident free almost 100% of the time. He has had maybe 2 accidents since July. And I don't make a fuss about it. Just clean him up and move on.
MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidreader View Post
Thank you for that! I decided yesterday that we are going to do this after DD had another NASTY poop (and she never tells me and then by the time I discovered it it was running down her legs/in her tights ). Anyways I'm just done. I'm seriously done with this. She is almost 3 years old, she's very smart, she knows that she's supposed to use the potty, she knows how to do it. She's just either lazy or stubborn or both. We're going underwear only from now on, if she has accidents so be it! I'm keeping her home from daycare for the next two days so I can work on it with her and take her to the potty every 20 minutes if I have to. The only thing is we might do pull ups or something at night because I know she won't wake up and/or tell me and I don't want her sleeping in pee all night.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote