Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
wilcofoxtrot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
unable to breastfeed the first one but did great the 2nd time around?

I'd love to hear from mom's who struggled with breastfeeding their first child, and then were successful with baby number two.

My son is 13 months old, he was born with low birth weight, low blood sugars and a weak suck, I did not even get to see him the first 24 hours. Even the most experienced nurses struggled to get him to eat anything. We had to have him supplement with bottled formula. Once I got to attempt breastfeeding he would not latch, never did without a shield, his mouth was tiny and my nipples were too big. I tried for weeks, and ended up exclusively pumping for 3 months. I was devastated that it did not work for us, and the pumping was exhausting so I finally gave in and switched to formula.

Baby boy number two is due in December, and I really really want to have a better breastfeeding experience this time around. I'd love to hear some stories from mom's who were able to do it the second time around.

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
cowgirl76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: unable to breastfeed the first one but did great the 2nd time around?

I never had milk come in with my first, so after 3 weeks of trying to breastfeed, I gave up and started dd on formula. The nurses swore it was impossible to not have any milk! If I wasn't feeding dd, I was pumping trying to get my supply up, or any supply at all. I literally was either feeding her or pumping as she was nursing every hour or so.
After being successful with ds, I can definitely say I never had any milk with dd. I was never engorged, never had let down, no leakage, nothing. With ds, I had all of those, except I wasn't really engorged. I remember waking up a few days after ds was born, wet, and said to my dh "milk just came in." I never had any issues with ds.
It's very possible to be successful with your next LO. Just keep thinking positively, keep trying and get support if it's needed.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ds#1: (delivered through induction at 36wks) was born with a tongue tie and we didn’t realize it until the 3rd day, and I was already injured. So I tried to pump. Then we found that he would scream after each feeding (found out at 3.5mon that he had MSPI). I also had complications with birth; emotional and physical. He wouldn’t latch and I became depressed. I tried and tried and tried; but in the end and after 4 different formulas he was put on an Amino Acid formula and he started to grow.

Ds#2: (delivered at 35wks-water broke naturally) AMAZINGLY easy delivery and I checked right of the bat (the cord was still attaced) for tongue tie; nope he was good. I had him latched right there and it was great. He only lost 2oz in the hospital and we got to go home on the 2nd day. I did have issues with supply; I think I lack the hormone to produce much, BUT we made it to 8 ˝ months with him nursing and then he weaned on his own. He continued to get Breast Milk through me and through the help of milkshare.com
The thing that I WILL do differently is start pumping right when I start getting engorged instead of waiting until 4wks.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can do it momma!!!! I had trouble with my first and had to supplement, I was eventually able to nurse him and then number too was so much easier. A little different situation but you can do it stay positive and roll with the punches!!! With number one I had a lot of tears and worries with number two I stayed calm and new what I had to do for what was best for my lo always keeping an open mind but knowing that I wanted to nurse.

If I was in your situation I would read as much info I could, go to as many breastfeeding support groups as I could, and maybe take some classes even if you did it all b4. And don't give yourself any mother guilt like we tend to do!!! If you are successful which you def can be, try not to feel bad about not nursing the first one. I sometimes feel guilty that my 2 yr old is not getting the "good stuff" anymore so I just put it in hs sippy cup sometimes.

Good Luck!!!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
lotsa_girls
Registered Users
seller

My DD1 was totally FF despite all my efforts to BF. I was in that naive category, that assumed since BFing was the most natural thing to do, that naturally it should have come easy. When it didn't, I begged to see the LC who I was told was "too busy". Needless to say, in place, I was encouraged to just feed her a bottle, and it went downhill from there. After a week and many meltdowns I gave up on BFing.

The second time around I was even more determined, so I took a BF'ing class, found a very pro-bf'ing hospital, and came to L&D armed with the name and # of a good LC. It took a little work and a couple helpful pointers from the LC on-call in the hospital that came to see every mom and we successfully BFed for 15 months.

I'm also on my 2nd successful BF'ing relationship with DD3 who's almost 14 months. ETA: The babe that came out READY to nurse. She practically latched herself and stayed camped at the boob for an hour, almost all of that she was actively sucking!!

Good luck!

Last edited by lotsa_girls; 10-22-2009 at 10:46 AM.
lotsa_girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i was unable to nurse my first went on the nurse my 2nd for 6 months and am nursing my 3rd
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
stefaniem
Registered Users
seller

I had a lot of trouble nursing my first, never got him to latch well, even with a nipple shield. I didn't know until he was born I have flat nips. Pumped for 3 weeks and after many breakdowns went to formula. His birth was very long and traumatic, I ended up in the OR afterwards and the whole thing just left me wiped out for weeks. And it was 100% natural.

I was determined to nurse my second. Wore breast shields the 3rd tri, although I don't really feel they helped. An easy labor and delivery, baby popped out and nursed well for 45 mins. Then was taken to the NICU for low oxygen levels (it was B.S. in my opinion) That was really tough and she was in there for 3 days. I pumped and she got formula and BM out of bottles. I tried to nurse her but it was so hard with her hooked up the all the monitors. After that she would only latch with a nipple shield and even that took some doing. It took about a month to get her EBFing, still using the shield. At 10 weeks she abruptly stopped using the shield and has been a little booby monster ever since I wanted to quit several times but now I am so thankful I stuck it out. You can do it!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS has a CHD and had 2 open heart surgeries the first 2 weeks of his life. He did not get ANYTHING to eat for 3 weeks and I pumped like crazy. Long story short he was never able to latch due to not eating and feeding tubes and the extra energy it takes to BF compared to FF. Our main goal was health with him and for him to be healthy he needed to gain weight. My milk dried up around 6 weeks but he got 3 months of BM due to pumping.

I am currently on 12.5 weeks of exclusively BFing the DD.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #9
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did manage to part time nurse my first. I had lots of complications from his delivery and ended up EPing for him (with low supply) and finally got him to nurse when he was 3.5mos old. He went on to nurse 2-3 times/day until he was 22.5mos. It was a constant struggle with pumping and herbs and drugs.
I decided that I wouldn't do that with this one. I started the herbs during pregnancy that were safe. I worked with a good LC from day 1 to make sure that we got a good latch, and even had to have his tongue clipped when he was 2 days old. I immediately started my herbs after he was born, and I've had absolutely no supply problems *even when I felt insecure about it.
We've now made it to 6wks and things are going very smoothly and he's gaining about 1.5oz/day. I think it's definitely possible to nurse a second child easily after a not good experience with a first child.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #10
wilcofoxtrot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for sharing your stories, it's just the encouragement I need.