Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Not sure if this is the right place but....Question about the pill

***I posted this in Pregnancy section but havent got any answers. I figure you mamas might know a thing or two about BC and ovulation and all that

Ok, I was supposed to get my period next week, usually on the Monday or Tuesday. I started my period this past Sunday, although I am not sure why. I did forget to take one pill but I took it the next day. I know that if I miss 3 or more (I know, I apparently suck at taking the pill) I will start my period (which is weird because before I had my daughter, if I missed that many and made it up like you are supposed to, I would stay on schedule and get my period during the correct week).
Anyway, my question is, since I started my period a week early, am I supposed to keep taking the pills like normal, or am I supposed to start the new pack this coming Sunday, you know, like you start the new pack the Sunday after you menstruate. Because if I stay on track with the pills, I will be taking the placebo pills next week and since I already got my period, will it screw it my schedule up?

hehe, I am confused and I feel like a clueless teenager.

Wife to DH and mommy to DD (12/07) and DS (2/11)
corinne76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: ben***katieh
My Mood:
Re: Not sure if this is the right place but....Question about the pill

well, i've never been on BCP so i might not be helpful... i would definately call your gyn for advice on that. and i would imagine that if you skip ahead to the next pack, you might miss taking the essential pills, putting you at risk to get pregnant. my understanding is that the pill inhibits ovulation from occurring at all, then it stimulates shedding of the uterine lining (which isn't a true menstruation, since its anovulatory bleeding). if you skip ahead, you'd possibly (probably?) be missing the ovulatory inhibiting pills and you could ovulate despite taking the other pills.
Mommy to my charming and funny little man Oliver (2007)
and after years of waiting, overjoyed to welcome my new little lady Ava (January 2014)
kt~mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Not sure if this is the right place but....Question about the pill

Did you say you missed 1 or missed 3? If you missed 3 you should have thrown it away at that point and started a new pack. if you missed 1 you could double up for one day and go on to finish the pack. as far as starting early, it can take a bit for your body to get on cycle with the pack, you would be fine to finish out the pack like normal. If you want you can call and talk to your dr office. Remember just because you are having your period doesn't mean you can ovulate during that time.
Kat's Kreations Facebook
kat1205 is offline   Reply With Quote