Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Jenn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Suction from Medela Swing?

I was in the market for a single electric pump and decided on the Medela Swing. I bought one used from someone on another board I'm on and when I got it, I gave it a try and am really disappointed with it. It seems that the suction is really, really low. They say you're supposed to pump at a level of suction that is just below "uncomfortable" and it doesn't get anywhere near that even at the highest setting.

Prior to buying the used Swing, I had borrowed a PIS from my midwife. The PIS had great suction and I was able to pump a decent amount with it. I was expecting to get the same amount of suction out of the Swing, but it doesn't even compare.

Am I expecting too much from this smaller pump? Has anyone else used both and found the difference to be the same that I have? Or is this pump maybe too well used to produce the kind of suction that it should be? Any insights would be SO appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Suction from Medela Swing?

Before getting an older PIS from an awesome mama on this board I was using a Medela Single Electric and Medela Swing. Are you using the adaptor or the batteries? For both of those pumps the batteries didn't even last me a day before I started to lose suction. At first I liked the flanges/horns it comes with as they were softer but I found that I had a problem keeping suction sometimes with them, but I need a smaller size I think so that may have something to do with that.

Overall, when I use the adaptor I find that the singles work decently, but the PIS does work loads better. I was still able to get between 18-22oz per day with the singles, but now I'm trying to increase with the PIS, which I have by a few ounces so far.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:

I only pump ocassionaly and I have never used a PIS but I have also found that the batteries don't work as well as the adapter on the Swing.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

My Swing pump seemed to have stronger suction when I first bought it. When I called Medela, they walked me through cleaning out the motor- some milk had gotten in and it was creating problems. It really wasn't hard to do- took a few things apart, washed a sponge like thing, and then ran soapy water through the pump and then clear water. Definitely call if you want to try this as they were very helpful.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello2000 View Post
My Swing pump seemed to have stronger suction when I first bought it. When I called Medela, they walked me through cleaning out the motor- some milk had gotten in and it was creating problems. It really wasn't hard to do- took a few things apart, washed a sponge like thing, and then ran soapy water through the pump and then clear water. Definitely call if you want to try this as they were very helpful.
Ditto^^ I found instructions on how to do this in the instruction manual and it does help

Old 10-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Jenn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
Before getting an older PIS from an awesome mama on this board I was using a Medela Single Electric and Medela Swing. Are you using the adaptor or the batteries? For both of those pumps the batteries didn't even last me a day before I started to lose suction. At first I liked the flanges/horns it comes with as they were softer but I found that I had a problem keeping suction sometimes with them, but I need a smaller size I think so that may have something to do with that.

Overall, when I use the adaptor I find that the singles work decently, but the PIS does work loads better. I was still able to get between 18-22oz per day with the singles, but now I'm trying to increase with the PIS, which I have by a few ounces so far.
I tried it with the a/c adapter, not the batteries. The suction, even at max capacity, is really, really low. I couldn't get a drop unless I did breast compressions. So really, what's the point in using this pump when I can get an ounce or two per breast just expressing by hand? Is the Swing supposed to be such a light suction pump? I think that I haven't gotten what I paid for, which sucks.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
stefaniem
Registered Users
seller

This is probably a silly suggestion, since I'm sure you already know this but....are all the parts completely, 100% dry when you put them together to pump? I honestly didn't know this and was mad I wasn't getting any suction until I figured it out.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Mine was like that before I cleaned it too.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
heathernae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a new swing pump that I bought new and have used for about 3 months and it works well for me, in fact I was talking to a lacation consultant yesterday when I mentioned how strange it seems that I get more milk with the swing than I do with my used Pump in style. She said this is pretty common b/c the swing pump has higher technology, she said swing does almost as well as lactina. Oh, by the way I usually use batteries, I buy the energizer, and replace after about 30 uses. Good luck, mama, I hope yours is fixable!
heathernae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

heathernae- how on earth do you get the swing to last for 30 uses with batteries?? If I use batteries it seems like I'll get less than 10 uses before it starts to lose suction.