Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gerber Nuk anyone?

She doesnt get a bottle oftn, but when she does, we use either the ones that came w/ the medela pump or the brand Milk Bank from Babies R Us.
She does use the Nuk pacifier though. The orthodontic shaped one.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 04:28 AM   #12
greeniebeanie
Registered Users
seller

It is always hard trying to find something that the LO likes while also trying to find the best fit for breastfeeding. My DS was using the nuk pacifier for a while (we were having latching problems at the same time). My Lactation consultant said that the issue with using he nuk pacificer is that the shape of it does not promote the correct tounge placement for sucking on a breast-nipple. She said, yes, these are "orthodontic" and great for building the muscle sin the oral cavity, BUT NOT FOR BREASTFEEDING BABIES. They are really better for formula babies, because they don't have to use their tounge the same way. I switched to the soothie pacifier and my DS is a MUCH better breastfeeder now. I cannot say that it is necessarily because of the pacificer witch, but I believe it helped.

My DS also seemed to prefer the nuk pacifier to the soothie, but after I stopped giving him the nuk, he took to the soothie well pretty quickly. It seems to be a little harder for him to keep in his mouth because it doesn't have the curved piece that cups the mouth on the outside, but it works great anyway. I am pro SOOTHIE for BFing babies.

BUT... if you baby is a great breastfeeder, and the nuk doesn't mess him up, I might lean toward the nuk.

Last edited by greeniebeanie; 10-31-2009 at 04:30 AM.
greeniebeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep. We started DS on that bottle. Now he takes any bottles, but we started with that one b/c it seemed most like a nipple to me.
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:

If I need to give (and have done also in the past - even 15 years back)
breastmilk in a bottle I use this nuk nipple:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

with an standard glass bottle or the Medela bottles (using the NUK nipples size 1 and throwing away those standard nipples to the garbage LOL)
Is very slow and never had an issue with nipple confusion.
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook

Last edited by Zabibaby; 10-31-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote