Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
questions about the "CIO" method *updated*

We have only once tried the CIO method, when DD was about 6 weeks. We only did it for about 10 minutes, then couldn't bear it any longer and soothed her.
I don't really care for it, but I think I might need to introduce it at nighttime.
Emma is really used to be laying with her til she falls asleep, but after I get up and leave the room she can sense I'm not there, and will wake right back up crying. As soon as I come into the room, she calms down.
It's really gotten worse this past month or so. She will NOT let me get anything done. No dishes, laundry, NOTHING. I end up having ZERO free time, and it's just not working. She is getting too used to having it all her way.

I have a few questions.

Now, being that I havn't done it before, what do I need to know? Do I stay in the room but just comfort her verbally? Do I leave altogether? When do I go back (how long do I let her cry?), and what do I do if its INTENSE POWERFUL SCREAMING? (her forte!)

Will it change our relationship? One of my primary fears is that she will start fearing me, or will somehow not trust me or want me as much if I start doing this. Is that irrational?

Any tips would be appreciated. THANK YOU!

ETA: I see some people wondering how old DD is. She is 6 months.

Also, she doesnt take naps. At best she takes maybe 3 little 30 minute cat naps in my lap during the day. She is super moody lately, do you think the lack of a normal nap may be the problem???

Advertisement

Last edited by Lisa-Rachelle; 01-17-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Lisa-Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: questions about the "CIO" method

I don't let DS CIO. I will let him fuss and cry a little though.

I put him down, allow him to try to self soothe for 10 minutes. If he's fussing or crying I go back in and do whatever he needs me to do, hold him, rock him, etc. then lay him down awake again once he's completely calm and been calm for a few minutes. Start over. More than 10 minutes is just too much for him to cry. If he's just fussing on and off, I'll let him, but not crying.

I started that at 8 months with DS, and now most of the time I can lay him down and he might fuss for just a minute, but then he's asleep.

We do a fan for white noise and lullabies as well. That helps him. And routine!!! When they know bedtime is coming, they can start getting ready for it.

Last edited by JustAugust; 01-16-2007 at 07:49 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is 5 months? I'd give her 20 minutes. It will be really hard but you are essentially breaking her of a habit.

Also I would reccomend you read weissbluth's "Healthy sleep habits, happy child" I found that if I got DD to bed (naps and night time) on time that she did not really cry. Maybe a minute or two of "get back in here" cries but not long after that.

Of course she went through a phase where she would cry for 20 minutes exactly. I would say " I'll give her 20 minutes" and I had a klitchen timer and by 21 minutes she was quiet and by 25 minutes I could tell she was asleep.

Good luck, but I think the book is the best help.

Edit: I forgot to say DD also has very impressive lung function. The nurses commented on it as soon as she was born, and I think she is still the loudest I have ever heard (maybe that is just becuase I am her mom). But I bet you can tell the difference between her "I'm pissed at you, you get back in here cries" and the "I need Mommy" cries.

Last edited by Timetodance; 01-16-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
And routine!!! When they know bedtime is coming, they can start getting ready for it.

ITA this is a huge part of our sleep success. We started at 3 months.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
shell015
Banned
seller

So glad you posted this. I can 100% Identify.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did CIO, but I think they only recommend it for babies 6 months and up? I'm not too sure, but we did it when he was 10 months....I think. I have a bad memory.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
WestCoastBuckeye
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok....What we have done.....
Ds is 7.5 months old and we followed Weisbluth's ideals. Before this he was not napping unless I held him and was up until midnight and up every 45 mins after that
I started with naptime- 2 hours after he wakes up for the day I n urse him and hi in his ebd. He has a musical giraffe I wind up. I kiss him and say "Napppy-nap time sweetie" and close his door. Weisbluth says to let him fuss for no more than an hour (and to watch th clock because 10 mins can feel like an hour) He stresses routine. After he has slept he plays for 3 or so hours and we do the bed routine again. He oes to bed at 7 with his brother. He nurses, the both jget a story and I repeat the naptime routine. Now bedtime he advise let them cry and not to pick them up again for 3 hours after the last feeding.

Still with me?

This has worked for us. DS cried less than 5 minutes when started 3 weeks ago. Now he doesn fuss at all. Also-he would wake up every 45 minutes-I let hm fuss (again less than 10 minutes) Now he wakes 1x or 2x a night to eat.

Good luck momma!

Heather , to Ryan (9-2-000) my hero is home-praying for recovery, and mom to Garrett (11-29-02) & Alex (5-29-06)
WestCoastBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read the Ferber Method (which got blasted in the media because he said it was not for all babies just recently).
It said to leave the room at increasing lengths. So say you put her in the crib and leave the room. Then come back 5 minutes, then try to sooth her without picking her up. Then leave and increase the time to 10 minutes, so on and so forth. Pretty much when I did it with Donovan, the first night, it took 1 hour to get him to fall asleep.
Consistency is the key. You cannot do it one day and not the next.
Donovan is now 4 and does not and never seemed to have a trust issue.
It was hard though, especially on my DH. We did not do it on Alex this time around.
But I must admit, it worked and Donovan slept and sleeps a lot better than Alex does (although Alex is also a little more hyper then Donovan ever was).

Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
abigail
Registered Users
seller

Well, with my older son we did our own version of Ferber when he was 14 months. actually, DH did it and I left for the weekend b/c we weaned cold turkey and sleep trained alla t once b/c they were intertwined. Dh would hug Jalen and tell him it was time to sleep but not pick him up out of his crib He said he cried abt 30 minutes and then would lay down and sleep from sheer exhaustion. Then, he's wake up abt 3 hours later and do it allover again. BUT it only took 1 night- I kid you not.

Good luck, sleep training is hard, and I'm gonna have to do it with my daughter b/c she's almost 6 months and gets up every 2 hours and screams to be nursed back to sleep, so I totally know what you're going through
Old 01-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Emma is 6 months now, and she still wakes up and wants to be nursed a lot, which just isnt necessary. She just hates sleeping without me, but it isnt practical!
My husband works out of town M-F, so its up to me to keep the house in order...and its tough to do when the babe wont let you leave!