Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
um- blood in breastmilk?!?!

so- last night was nursing my 6 m/o on a side lie- he had a funny latch happening- like I could hear slurping- and when he was finished there was a large wet patch by his face- I just scooted him down some, so he wasn't lying in it and we went back to sleep... This morning I saw that the flannel pad he sleeps on in our bed had a huge soggy patch of mixed milk + blood. I quickly examined him and the outside of my breast- both looked fine...
Would there be blood IN my breastmilk? And WHY?
(I do have a spot on my breast that had a blister several weeks ago and it's taking a while to heal- what with the nursing every few hours- but it's not like an open sore. But I've also noticed the past week or so that that breast hurts when he inside. Mostly just at first when he latches and first starts eating... but also just kind of a little alot of the time (whether he's eating or not...)

I'm going to call my LC in a few minutes- when it's a more reasonable time- but thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone has ideas...?

*N- married to my dreamy B and mama to my ridiculously adorable + awesome K born at home 4/09 And the ever amazing baby O born at home 11/11
and because they amuse my son-
starfiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: um- blood in breastmilk?!?!

I had this happen when I pumped at work once. It really freaked me out! However it just happened once and never again so I think it must have just been a blister that popped. Good luck mama.
Like Me on Facebook!!!HERE
KaysieW003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

This happened to us once when DS had a bad latch because he couldn't breath through his nose. It never happened again and I could tell after looking closely that the blood was actually from the nipple and not in the milk. I wouldn't be too worried about it Mama unless it keeps happening. Good Luck!
EBF , co-sleeping , cloth diapering , baby wearing, Single SAHM to Sir Isaac Thomas; my Knight in Cotton Prefolds 03/26/09
EmmyLou0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Users

I've had this happen before, too. The first couple of times it happened was due to poor latch and my nipple bleeding (one was with my NB DD, the other was when DS was teething and had changed latched b/c of his sore gums). One time it happened when DS cut a tooth while nursing, which I think was pure coincidence - there was a little blood blister that was coming up with his tooth and it popped when his tooth came through. Very odd.

One way to tell if it was just a one-off latch problem is to nurse your LO on the other side. If spit up is milk and not blood, bleeding was likely from you due to bad latch.
Starr5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Users

sounds kinda scary, but hopefully it is only a one time thing.
greeniebeanie is offline   Reply With Quote