Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to handle negative cding comments?

How do you diffuse negative comments regarding your choice to cd without being offensive or 'getting into it' with the person?

I was at my older dd's physical therapy session and another mom was there with her dd who was also getting p/t. She was talking to me and playing with my baby dd, and saw she was in a cd. She then asked me "You use cloth diapers?!" to which I smiled and said yes I do! She then rolled her eyes at me and said to my dd "that mother of yours!"

It wasnt a big deal honestly, but the negative association she had with cding and my choice to use them bugged me. I dont want to be confrontational, I see this woman practically every week and she is generally very nice.

Now the situation is past so I cant do anything about it. I just basically changed the subject. I guess I am trying to figure out what a good way to handle this would be for the future?

TIA~!

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to handle negative cding comments?

Been there, done that several times. It IS irritating to say the least but I usually will NOT let that one go but am nice about it. I explain my reasons for it, to enlighten them at least, and let them know it's easy, cute and inexpensive and it's a wonderful way to go the extra step for the health of my own child.

I try my very best to not make it sound condesending to the other parent and let them know this is MY opinion and MY decision only and it works for us personally.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

I really haven't had any negative comments but when they act suprised that we cloth diaper and say "People still do that?" I say "Oh my goodness, you have no idea how far cloth diapers have come. It's really a great hobby and there is such cute stuff out there!" I usually show them a Fuzzi Bunz or something I have and they then think it's pretty cool. I tell them how much some high end diapers go for and they are amazed.Of course I tell them you can get by with inexpensive systems but people can't believe how crazed we are about something a kid poops in!

Just work their negative into a postive.

Last edited by hollyhobby30; 05-25-2006 at 09:29 AM.
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
lisahas2cats
Registered Users

"Cloth is way cuter than disposables could EVER be" (big smile)

"I know *I* wouldn't want to sit in paper underwear 24/7...why should I make my baby do it?" (big smile, quizzical look)

"Ew, disposables are just too gross to use!" (big smile)

If you can think quick enough when someone first says "You use cloth diapers?!" in that particular tone, say "Of course...why wouldn't I?" (insert quizzical look and wait for an answer)

Can you tell I've been down this road...often?
lisahas2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
amyers
Registered Users
seller

"Yep I do! It's pretty fun. Look how cute these are!"

I have actually had very few negatives, and most have at least gotten less negative after hearing my excitement about it. You just have to be very positive, and let them know how great you think it is. Most people are willing to let you be the crazy one. :-)
Old 05-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

someone I'm on a small CD board with was told that her baby would be delayed in walking due to bulky CD's - this is hillarious. So, imagine how many generations of humans since the dawn of time and diapering were delayed and thankfully, the last few generations lucky enough to be exposed to disposables have been saved. Praise the Lord!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
monkeylove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she's just jealous
Old 05-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelolsen-and-Padawan
someone I'm on a small CD board with was told that her baby would be delayed in walking due to bulky CD's - this is hillarious. So, imagine how many generations of humans since the dawn of time and diapering were delayed and thankfully, the last few generations lucky enough to be exposed to disposables have been saved. Praise the Lord!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

I tend to be kinda mouthy, so I probably woulda said (to DD) "Man, what a wacky mommy you have! Using cloth instead of letting you sit in a bunch of carcinogenic and fertility-impairing chemicals all day. You poor baby!"
Old 05-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When people say stuff like that, I usually respond with (in a very nice tone) "Is there something wrong with that?"

Most of the people I know were just surprised to see cloth on my kids. They happen to see me changing a diaper and say "What is that? Is that a cloth diaper?? Wow!" Usuall the only comments that might be taken as negative are "Man, you're crazy.. Four kids, homeschooling, and cloth diapering? How do you do it??" They seem to think that if you cd, you spend all your time changing and washing diapers. I just say "With a family this big, I really don't notice an extra load of laundry every day or two. After all, I'm pretty much doing at least one load every day anyway!"
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote