Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

Re: How to handle negative cding comments?

I feel you on this. A friend offered me an unopened bag of sposies that no longer fit her child, and I told her I didn't need them because I used cloth. She rolled her eyes and said "That's silly." She then proceeded to bug me more about taking the damn disposables because, "You'll need them for going out! You can't use cloth diapers when you go to the store!" I know she was just trying to be helpful but it was pretty ridiculous.

Not to mention my whole family thinks I'm insane for it, but at least they aren't rude. And they let me do laundry at their house when we visit

Advertisement

worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #12
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I have my days when I want to say something really snarky but I've found that I get the best response when I say something along the lines of "You know, I kind of had my doubts at first too, but once I tried it, I was hooked. It's not as bad as most people think." and then go into some of the reasons I love CDs... One of my cousins was telling me one day how she was afraid that CDs would be gross and I pulled out a dipe with a velour inner. I asked her whether she'd rather wear that or paper and she was just shocked ("That's a diaper?!?!?"). Then she started asking me serious questions about how expensive it was, how often I have to wash, how much trouble it is when we're out, do we get leaks, stuff like that. Some of her questions were downright silly (I can say that because I had all the same questions a couple of months ago! ) but I just tried to answer them and I told her that I had thought about it a lot and decided to give it a try and if I didn't like it, I'd go back to sposies...but I fell in love. She's borrowed some of my dipes now to give it a try on her son. I'm sure we'll be getting a new member here any day now!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"Yep, I do. Wanna see how cute they are?"

Usually people will ask after that comment, to see them and then ask all sorts of questions. I usually give them the websites and let them look for themselves and usually get "I am so amazed at how far CDing has come!"
Old 05-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #14
*bugsmama*
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick
I tend to be kinda mouthy, so I probably woulda said (to DD) "Man, what a wacky mommy you have! Using cloth instead of letting you sit in a bunch of carcinogenic and fertility-impairing chemicals all day. You poor baby!"
This is toatlly what I would have said. That or just smile and say (to your child) yep your mommy loves you so much that she thinks you should have cloth not paper on your cute butt!

Last edited by *bugsmama*; 05-25-2006 at 01:36 PM.
*bugsmama* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
Amalia65
Registered Users

How about,

"You just missed an excellent opportunity to keep your mouth shut!"

Is that too mean?

Amalia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

When I told my mother I was switching to cloth diapers, she groaned at me, she was picturing prefolds and plastic pants. Actually, she was probably picturing flats because she said every single time we peed, it went straight through the diaper. I don't know.
Anyway, that's what a lot of people picture. If you show them a Fuzzi Bunz or something, they usually get really impressed (IME). My ped saw them and goes, "ooooh, fancy! Do you wash these yourself or have a service do it?" That's another thing, most people are not willing to wash their own diapers.

I usually just get really excited when people ask me about it, and tell them how wonderful they are, how much less rashes we get, how many cute designs they have, etc etc and then the person talking doesn't have much else to say.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #17
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

A lot like the above - look how cute they, how about that I'm helping to save the environment - did you know that it takes approx 500 years for a sposie to disintegrate, etc.

I've also said that we don't eat off paper/plastic plates each day, so why would I use sposies?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #18
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

I don't get many negative comments. Most people are just interested in hearing how far they have come. I also through in how much better for the environment and how soft a cushy they are and much better for the baby's skin. By the time I am done they are maybe overwhelmed by info but they don't give the annoying look.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #19
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Some people just don't know how to keep their opinions to themselves. I think her comment was out of line-what business is it of hers?

So far we've not had anyone giving us a ahrd time, but I'm sure that will come. Just say you're a hippie and they'll leave you alone
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #20
sparkygirl74
Registered Users
seller
seller

Truthfully, I have gotten two negative respnses ever. One was from a friend who changed her mind after I showed her my stash (and she is negative about almost all of my parenting choices) and one is from a lady who is the queen of "diposable" stuff. She thinks everything should be thrown away. She also thinks it is inconvinient to hold your own kids and breastfeeding is gross. Everyone else has pretty much said "good for you"! I think I am just a lucky girl!