Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ameda users who've used Medela

Do you really like Ameda over medela performance wise. Tell me your story between the 2. I have an older PIS (used through 2 kids before I received it) and a freestyle that's about 11 months old. (i saved and used baby $ and bought it used. The mom purchased new in january 09). I don't know if its b/c they are used or if it's just not the right pumps for me. I've experimented with different sized shields and think I might need to try the 21mm (the 27mm was tooo big)...but overall am still having a lot of pain. I have an ameda manual pump that was included with baby stuff and the shield seemed to fit..but I can't pump enough wiht that one.

Do the ameda pumps allow you different suctioning levels for each side? Sometimes my left side needs a little stronger power (seems like it b/c when i turn the suction up i see more streams coming out on the left) but then it's too much for my right side and over all it hurts like crazy.

I don't have the funds to buy a new pump but want someway to try an ameda before I sell or trade my freestyle. It could just be the shield issue I'm not sure. I pumped this morning at 10 EST and my boobs are still sore (using the freestyle) The wic office is trying to help me get something but they are held up right now waiting on a unit to come back in.

any insight would be appreciated

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
ravinchik247
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ameda users who've used Medela

I had a an Ameda Purely Yours that I used when I went to work after DS #1. I got it because I heard it was just as good and half the price. It seemed to work ok, but then I used my sisters Medela Pump in Style, and I liked it better. The Ameda was smaller and quieter, but I got more milk with the Medela. And, that's what I was going for. If you can try it first I definitely recommend that. Every pump and every breast are different. GL mama

G mama to L & S & 2 very fuzzy furbabies.
ravinchik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used the Lansinoh electric (just like the Ameda) and a PIS and I much prefer the PIS. Have you tried going even larger with the flanges or getting the soft-fit ones?
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used them both, but the hospital grade version of each. I like them both, but I don't remember being able to regulate the suction on just one side.
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
HeavenlyHold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a really old PIS and a new Ameda....lOVE the Ameda and use it now and the PIS never! I got the Ameda for free (well, my ins pd for it...if you have ins...it's worth asking if they cover it!).

Amber, CWAHM to Kaelin (02-07) Kiley (07-09) and Kamryn (12-11)
Like us on Facebook

Last edited by HeavenlyHold; 11-06-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: wasn't done typing
HeavenlyHold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyHold View Post
I have a really old PIS and a new Ameda....lOVE the Ameda and use it now and the PIS never! I got the Ameda for free (well, my ins pd for it...if you have ins...it's worth asking if they cover it!).
I have BCBS and wic. Wic is helping to get a pump to be loaned out but it's taking a while for one to come back in. I haven't checked with insurance yet
Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theosmom View Post
I have used the Lansinoh electric (just like the Ameda) and a PIS and I much prefer the PIS. Have you tried going even larger with the flanges or getting the soft-fit ones?
no it hasn't crossed my mind to try even larger, just cuz there seemed to be so much extra room in the 'tunnel' around the nip area. I have the soft fits now, they hurt like crazy with the freestyle and i don't get much wiht the PIS (but it's an older version)
Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespepper View Post
I used them both, but the hospital grade version of each. I like them both, but I don't remember being able to regulate the suction on just one side.
yeah I think i'll just have to deal with that
Old 11-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
swalker97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds more like the suction is too strong, than the size of the flange. Have you played around with the suction strength? I usually start on low suction and then turn it up as the milk starts to flow.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker97 View Post
Sounds more like the suction is too strong, than the size of the flange. Have you played around with the suction strength? I usually start on low suction and then turn it up as the milk starts to flow.
I play around with it just about everytime I pump. Hardly anything comes out on the left and I get an okay amount on the right. I'd posted a pic earlier today of the inside (tried to make it discreet) and mama thought I should go smaller based on the pic. It pulls a good bit of the nip in at the base and sometimes areola. I can have the suction good and strong and one measley little stream coming out on my left side, while a buttload of milk coming out on my right. BUt both sides hurt tremendously when pumping...but even more sore to nurse later or when I babywear him and he's up against them.