Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
swalker97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ameda users who've used Medela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
I play around with it just about everytime I pump. Hardly anything comes out on the left and I get an okay amount on the right. I'd posted a pic earlier today of the inside (tried to make it discreet) and mama thought I should go smaller based on the pic. It pulls a good bit of the nip in at the base and sometimes areola. I can have the suction good and strong and one measley little stream coming out on my left side, while a buttload of milk coming out on my right. BUt both sides hurt tremendously when pumping...but even more sore to nurse later or when I babywear him and he's up against them.
It is very normal to have one side be more productive than the other. I usually get twice as much from the left as the right. The suction should be strong enough to get the milk flowing, but not so strong that it hurts. Your nipple as well as a good bit of the areola should fit into the "tunnel" and be pulled in when the suction is on-just like when baby is latching on. If you are just getting a little bit of the nipple it will be very painful. How is the suction rhythm? Is it possible that the suction is too long? Have you tried warm compresses before pumping/feeding? Massaging to start the flow could also be helpful. Are there any lactation consultants in your area? It can be really helpful to sit down with someone who can see what is happening.

Good luck mama. Hang in there, it will get better.

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker97 View Post
It is very normal to have one side be more productive than the other. I usually get twice as much from the left as the right. The suction should be strong enough to get the milk flowing, but not so strong that it hurts. Your nipple as well as a good bit of the areola should fit into the "tunnel" and be pulled in when the suction is on-just like when baby is latching on. If you are just getting a little bit of the nipple it will be very painful. How is the suction rhythm? Is it possible that the suction is too long? Have you tried warm compresses before pumping/feeding? Massaging to start the flow could also be helpful. Are there any lactation consultants in your area? It can be really helpful to sit down with someone who can see what is happening.

Good luck mama. Hang in there, it will get better.
TY. I know..a delayed response on my part. The suction could be too long, it just gets confusing not having someone there who knows what they are doing I didn't know however that some of the areola was supposed to go in I have started warm compresses and massaging and that helps. It's a little harder to do the warm compresses at work but I can massage while I pump @ work. I agree about having someone who could see what's happening.

I found another tip about using lanolin on your breasts or a very small amount of olive oil to lubricate the horn and some people reported less pain with either of the two methods and they 'claimed' to be save. I'm not sure though.

I got a gently used ameda in the mail today (in a trade) to try out, so I'm curious. I also ordered a pair of those pumpin pals super shields from a mama off DS.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
swalker97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You really need to see if you can find a lactation consultant in your area-that will help so much. If not, see if there is a local breastfeeding group and try to hook up with a more experienced mom.
Try the fastest "rhythm" on the suction, then slow it down once you start to flow good.
I'm anxious to hear what you think about the Ameda. I have a PIS and was thinking about getting a PIS-adv, but I haven't made up my mind yet.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the same problem pain wise, and I got the 21mm size inserts for my medela PIS. The pain went away instantly. Since I have an older PIS it doesn't have that "natural 2phase expression" the newer ones have I try to mimic it myself. I start out with the suction on medium, and the speed at the highest setting. Then after a couple minutes, or let down, I turn the suction up but the speed down to 3. That's helped with the pain as well and seems to be more efficient at emptying, at least for me.

I agree with the PP about meeting up with a good LC. Goodluck!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
applebutter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was having the same experience as you, but with the Ameda. Was thinking of trying the PISA to see if it worked better. I bought several different flange sizes and none made a difference with the discomfort, and I've gone back to the originals because they seem to help me produce slightly more milk. The pain went away when I turned the suction down lower than I thought would work. It didn't feel like enough, but after several sessions, the milk started flowing and I was pain free. The Ameda does not allow you to set different suction/speed for each side.

I wanted a backup pump so picked up an Avent manual. Liked it so much, I bought two. Now I use two manuals and my Ameda sits in the closet, unloved. I get way more milk with the Avents!
applebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebutter View Post
I was having the same experience as you, but with the Ameda. Was thinking of trying the PISA to see if it worked better. I bought several different flange sizes and none made a difference with the discomfort, and I've gone back to the originals because they seem to help me produce slightly more milk. The pain went away when I turned the suction down lower than I thought would work. It didn't feel like enough, but after several sessions, the milk started flowing and I was pain free. The Ameda does not allow you to set different suction/speed for each side.

I wanted a backup pump so picked up an Avent manual. Liked it so much, I bought two. Now I use two manuals and my Ameda sits in the closet, unloved. I get way more milk with the Avents!
that's funny you mentioned the manual...I'd gotten a harmony from the wic office and pumped in the car on the way to my moms and got several ounces on just one side. I was like screw that darn electric. Not really but i was pleasantly surprised. lol The ameda's sound is kind of annoying. but I like it's light weight ness. THough the down side is I don't havfe a bag to put it in for work so like the other day I put it in a plastic bag and some of my powdered water additive got all over it...didn't realize it had spilled out. Then when I got home last night to use it again one of the flanges had cracked at the top. So that pump is out for now until i can get another flange. Right now i'm still using my old PIS.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
I had the same problem pain wise, and I got the 21mm size inserts for my medela PIS. The pain went away instantly. Since I have an older PIS it doesn't have that "natural 2phase expression" the newer ones have I try to mimic it myself. I start out with the suction on medium, and the speed at the highest setting. Then after a couple minutes, or let down, I turn the suction up but the speed down to 3. That's helped with the pain as well and seems to be more efficient at emptying, at least for me.

I agree with the PP about meeting up with a good LC. Goodluck!
That's cool..i did like the 21mm though I have to get another connector cuz i only have one. what you describe with the suction and speed is what I tried with the ameda when i got it..and now do that with the PIS. That natura2phase expression is nice IMO. but we can create ways to make it work for us. hehehe I also put the avent petals inside the flange of the medela once and it was kind of nice.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
applebutter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
THough the down side is I don't havfe a bag to put it in for work so like the other day I put it in a plastic bag and some of my powdered water additive got all over it...didn't realize it had spilled out. Then when I got home last night to use it again one of the flanges had cracked at the top. So that pump is out for now until i can get another flange. Right now i'm still using my old PIS.
Oh no! Ameda does sell an insulated bag on their site. You could also probably find a large lunch box that might work. I don't have a case for mine either - I use either my spare diaper bag, or an Old Navy tote I bought online for $5.
applebutter is offline   Reply With Quote