Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
HeavenlyHold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christmas tradition ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoalmost3 View Post
One silly little thing I did last year that my dd is already talking about again this year is I took the kids out one snowy day and we 'planted' candy cane seeds in the snow in our back yard (the round hard peppermint candies that you can get super cheap)-then early the next morning I removed the candies and replaced them with candy canes.....we went out after breakfast and checked our 'seeds' and my kids freaked out when they saw that they had grown into candy canes Something small and simple but it was really fun and its now going to be a yearly tradition until my kids are too old for it Super cheap too!
That is so sweet!!

We started making a cake at Christmas to celebrate baby Jesus' birthday! Yummy, too!

Advertisement

Amber, CWAHM to Kaelin (02-07) Kiley (07-09) and Kamryn (12-11)
Like us on Facebook
HeavenlyHold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #22
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do a lot of the things already mentioned. But I wanted to add one more thing that is a GREAT activity for kids - Gingerbread houses. Now you can buy the kits if you like, but if you want to be REALLY thrifty, do it this way.

Make the houses out of graham crackers. They are super cheap, sturdy, and already in neat little squares/rectangles. You can also use sugar wafers, nillar wafers, or ginger snaps if you attach them directly to cardboard boxes as opposed to building your house from cookie only.
Make your own royal icing. It is literally just egg whites and powdered sugar, google Martha Stewart's recipe.
If your kids are small, make the house structure for them and let it dry first before showing it to them. If they are older, building it is half the fun!
Use up your leftover Halloween candy for decorations. Or buy the candy on sale after halloween or any holiday really. Also, fruit loops and other colored cereals work well, especially for very little ones.

We did this the other day (because Xmas cannot come fast enough here for my kids, LOL) and even the 18MO baby participated. It was wonderful for all three kids of varying ages to enjoy the same activity, and not have to worry if it was age-appropriate or baby safe. We will probably do it several times this year, and it doesn't cost much at all.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #23
1braydon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow what an awesome thread this turned out to be. Thank you all so much, I have tons of ideas now, Im excited about christmas for the first time....since I dont know when. Thank you!

Earn money and giftcards by searching at SWAGBUCKS!!!!!
1braydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

We are starting an advent calendar this year. My kids are 2, 3 and 4 and we have a tradition that I read a different Christmas or holiday/winter story every night before bed for the entire month of December. Another tradition this year will be for the kids to help me make a batch of cookies for Santa and to pick the grass to feed his reindeer.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #25
britsuz90
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We light candles on an advent wreath. We have a specific bow we decorate it with (it was on a baby gift to DH to announce our first, whom I miscarried right at Christmas).

We make and decorate a gingerbread house, it was Dh's tradition growing up.

We choose charities to donate to and serve during the holiday season.

ALWAYS put money in the Salvation Army bucket, seriously, everytime we see one.

We do an Advent Calender.

Make Christmas Crafts. Almost always we do a new cheap Nativity (Jesus usually ends up getting lost when a child takes it to love).

Christmas Eve we have a tradition Danish desert. It takes a couple days to make, as I have to make the whole things from scratch because of dd's allergies.

We go see a local live Nativity. It is outdoors and has live animals, then go inside for DH to fill up on cookies while we look at various nativity displays, there are usually over a hundred different ones.

I try to make something for each of the kids.

The kids make things for each other. Last year dd made felt puppets for ODS. Patterns were free online and materials were less than $1 per puppet. It also gave mommy time with each child as I had to help them.

Last year we did "Lights of Love" for every $1 donated to our charity (Propionic Acidemia Foundation) we put a light on our house. I had to make the first donation as the kids wanted some lights up immediately.

In other years, we have had a caroling party at our house. We sang hymns and carols with friends and neighbors. Because of the flu we will not do it this year.

I don't really cook Christmas day. DD is tube fed, so food isn't important to her. I usually get Boston Market or similar and just warm it. So then instead of cooking we can do things as a family.

Last edited by britsuz90; 11-09-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: another idea.
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
jakeandpeytonsmom
Registered Users
seller

we do christmas crafts every year. just give the kids paint. $0.50 cent ornaments from micheals and give them out as gifts.
jakeandpeytonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #27
Daphne
Registered Users

My Mood:

I forgot about the gingerbread house. MIL buys us a kit as prize for the kids the day after Thanksgiving
Old 11-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #28
cristancanoe
Registered Users

We do the PJ thing on christmas eve as well!
We open the PJ's get snuggled in and read the christmas story from the bible. We have a childrens bible so I think we will read it from there this year! We set out cookies and milk for Santa before going to bed.

I have been looking for a Santa Key. I read about it last year and thought it was cute, anyone know where to find one?

Dh and I started a tradition about 10 years ago of having reindeer sausage for breakfast on Christmas day. I think we may need to suspend this one for a few years since DS is now 3 and may not see the humor in it.

We also do baking for friends and neighbors. Its a lot of fun to deliver the plates of goodies!
We pick an elder from the nursing home to buy small gifts for.

This is a great thread with lots of good ideas! Keep them coming ladies!
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #29
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyHold View Post
That is so sweet!!

We started making a cake at Christmas to celebrate baby Jesus' birthday! Yummy, too!
we used to do this too!!! yummmm

so, we don't really have any traditions yet in our little family, but we spend every Christmas at my parent's house anyway, so i'll share the traditions i loved growing up

Advent wreath

Nativity set. we would set it up but i always got to "hide" baby Jesus somewhere since he wasn't born yet. i got to place him in the manger on Christmas morning. also, we would put the 3 kings on the other side of the room. each day or so, we would move them a little closer, till January 6 when they would arrive.

when i was younger we used to go to Christmas Eve mass, so on the way home we'd get Chinese food (only place open Christmas eve!) and drive around looking at lights. we would play Christmas music in the car, and ooooh and ahhhhh at the displays. we'd also go searching out the really decked-out houses - we called those "bingo bonanzas."

on Christmas eve, we'd get hot tea or hot chocolate and sit around the tree with the house lights off and sing Christmas carols. that was always my favorite part

we also always did gifts for the angel tree at church.

more recently we added gingerbread houses into the mix. i've been buying kits at Trader Joe's every year for the past several years. it's all adults (plus my 16-yr-old bro) who do them, so we're a bit beyond graham crackers, but we used to use those when we were kids!

i can't wait until DS is older and we can start having our own family traditions thanks for starting this thread!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #30
bluemerle
Registered Users
seller

My kids are pretty young still, but we already started a few traditions for the holidays.

-On December 5th, they leave out their shoes and St. Nicholas comes during the night and leaves a small present in the shoes. If you're not familiar with this, the story is here. I did this as a kid, we usually got a chocolate, an orange, and a small toy.

-My grandparents always got us advent calendars as kids; each day you open a door and get a little chocolate. They still to this day get all their grandkids (and now their great-grandkids...my DS and DD!) advent calendars.

-My kids get one ornament each on St. Nicholas day. I try to make it something to describe who they are or what they liked that year. For example, last year DD got a mama monkey giving her baby monkey a bath (which she loves), and DS got a Spiderman ornament.

I loved reading this thread and getting ideas for more things we can do this year. I especially liked the candy cane seeds. :-)