Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #31
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

Re: Christmas tradition ideas.

I did not read everyones response so Im sorry if these are repeats, these are just the things I do with my kids....We always end up getting them way more gifts then any one child needs, and I have three LOL but we always start out with the best intentions...

1. We have a fake tree and we decorate it the day after thanksgiving so that my step daughter will be there for it (we dont get her again until after christmas)

2. Each child gets a pair of jammies and an ornament that they unwrap on christimas eve. They place their ornament on the tree and wear their jammies to bed.

3. We make Jesus a birthday cake. I let the kids decorate it. We have it for dessert.

4. We leave cookies and milk out for Santa.

5. We always do an advent calander, the candy ones, but no more candy in this house so this year I got that one from that site for three dollars. It came today!

6. We always have a cooking baking/decorating party and each child gets to decorate a special cookie for Santa. We also bake for family/friends at the same time.

7. We also pick out gifts for children from walmart from that christmas tree, I am not sure what organization runs it, but last year they really had a good time choosing for another child. My oldest chose a glow worm and my son chose tinker toys for another child.

8. Each child gets to buy a gift for her/her sibblings, they really enjoy this too.

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #32
cyndyinohio
Registered Users
seller

Some of our traditions are: advent calender, having warm apple cider and popcorn when we decorate our tree, sleeping over at Grandma and Grandpa's on Christmas eve and playing board games.

Will re-read this thread for more ideas!
cyndyinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #33
britsuz90
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristancanoe View Post
I have been looking for a Santa Key. I read about it last year and thought it was cute, anyone know where to find one?
Hallmark and Things Remembered
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #34
Mummyshome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our traditions are a bit on the different side. We do not do the Santa thing. But each family member gets one gift and then we give a family gift. We have a really nice, dress up family dinner. It is not the traditional dinner, but of cornish hens, squash soup, and other foods. There are all the different dishes and flatware.
The tree does not get decorated until after the 13th of December (daughters birthday) and is gone by the 29th of December (my birthday). We make our birthdays very special and a big deal, so no christmas during these birthdays.
Adding; the personal gift is not more than $50.00 each and the family gift isnot more than $200.00 total. With a family of 8 that comes to $600.00 total (if I use the alloted abount, but I usually don 't). I shop all year, not just at christmas. After christmas sales are the best!

Last edited by Mummyshome; 11-29-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: aded info
Mummyshome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #35
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

My DD is too young to really start traditions with yet, but there are many my mother started with me that I plan to continue.

Ornaments and matching jammies every year were some of my favorites.

Addressing some gifts from Santa (even to adults) for fun.

Either adopting needy children to buy gifts for or giving gifts to charities that give gifts to children.

We would stuff warm socks (you put one inside the other and tie shut with ribbon) full of mini toiletries and take them to the local food kitchen to pass out.

Decorating together as a family while listening to Christmas music and drinking eggnog.

Go to the Christmas Eve service then come home and open one gift before bed. Usually the matching jammies so we could all wear them for the pictures the next morning.

Cooking and decorating cookies and leaving some out for Santa with milk. Even after we were all grown we would do this

When we were too young to shop on our own mom would take us shopping for dad and dad for mom.

At my church growing up they would get a list of older folks in nursing homes that had no family to visit them and we would go caroling and bring them cookies. My current church does not do this and it's definitely the tradition I miss the most.

Also we sit down and watch Christmas movies together. It was exciting as a kid because it meant we got to stay up late. Family favorites are It's a Wonderful Life, Muppets Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th St, A Christmas Story and Charley Brown Christmas.

Last edited by crnchy_mama_lala; 12-24-2009 at 01:18 AM.
crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #36
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

In my family, all adults 18 and up, draw names for who they will buy a gift for. Everyone gives gifts to the kiddos. That keeps gifting costs down considerably.
Being southern/Texan, getting in the kitchen and cooking has always been a central part of our family gatherings. Growing up we cooked a big seafood gumbo every Christmas Eve - neighbors and friends knew they were welcome to drop in and get a hot steaming bowl. We've switched this us a bit through the years, and we might smoke brisket and ribs, or do a big Mexican spread. There is always a cooler full of beer & soda, along with sweet iced tea, and we gather on the back porch "chewing the fat" with anyone who drops by.
We open gifts Christmas Eve and Santa "visits" everyone....all the adults stuff the stockings of children and adults alike.
Some things I plan to carry on, or start anew with my DS, is sharing baked goods with neighbors, and starting the "Elf on a Shelf" tradition.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #37
grady&finnsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminajd View Post
All your ideas are great and I love the ornament idea, but I have a question. So they get the ornament on Christmas, how long do you leave your tree up? It seems like they would kind of only get to see it for a few days/week until it gets packed away for almost a year?
Yes you only get to look at them for a few days, but it is a lot of fun when you open up the Christmas boxes and their is a container of their own ornaments.

I got an ornament every year (sometimes I got several) and as an adult when I moved out of the house I had a great start to decorate my tree. My mom was always great to try to find something meaningful that had happened that year or an ornament from our vacation (typically you can find a local shop that carries gifts and ornaments while you are away). She always dated them and we had a running list. We have started this tradition for my children as well. Their ornaments are packed in separate containers so it's just their ornaments in the box. I'm sure as they get older this will be more important when we pull out the Christmas box.