Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
JennyWLS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Grand Rapids, MI! Tell me about it, please.

I moved to a little farming town between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo 3 years ago from Detroit and LOVE IT. I can't ever imagine moving back to Detroit after being here.

I drive into Grand Rapids every day for work, and the 25 miles I drive takes about the same amount of time that 10 miles used to take me 'in the city'.

Overall, I have found Grand Rapids to be a very friendly place to live and pretty laid back. I had my daughter here at the big hospital (high risk pregnancy) and they were very hands off, very pro breastfeeding, and my OB's office even offers classes in cloth diapering. I live near a gorgeous lake, and everybody is very focused on preserving the environment and enjoying nature. My son goes to an amazing school and we attend an amazing church.

Advertisement

Our Total Money Makeover Blog
JennyWLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyWLS View Post
I moved to a little farming town between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo 3 years ago from Detroit and LOVE IT. I can't ever imagine moving back to Detroit after being here.

I drive into Grand Rapids every day for work, and the 25 miles I drive takes about the same amount of time that 10 miles used to take me 'in the city'.

Overall, I have found Grand Rapids to be a very friendly place to live and pretty laid back. I had my daughter here at the big hospital (high risk pregnancy) and they were very hands off, very pro breastfeeding, and my OB's office even offers classes in cloth diapering. I live near a gorgeous lake, and everybody is very focused on preserving the environment and enjoying nature. My son goes to an amazing school and we attend an amazing church.

I'm just down the road from you in NW Kzoo. What kind of compliance coordinator are you? I'm only familiar with the medical side.

I saw your debt free tickler, and that is amazing! Congrats!

Love music, need trumpet???
Look here: http://stores.ebay.com/Kalamazoo-Brass
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I lived in GR for a long time. Grandville, Grand rapids, Allendale and Standale. All nice. GR is what we call the "biggest small town" you'll ever see. LOL! Its AWESOME! So close to the Lake!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
JennyWLS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean3 View Post
I'm just down the road from you in NW Kzoo. What kind of compliance coordinator are you? I'm only familiar with the medical side.

I saw your debt free tickler, and that is amazing! Congrats!
Thanks

I work in HR Compliance for a charter school management company, basically ensuring that teachers and other staff are in compliance with all the provisions of No Child Left Behind. In addition to certification and highly qualified status, I am also responsible for contract employees and criminal background checking. I'm kind of a nerd, so it's the perfect job for me

Our Total Money Makeover Blog
JennyWLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Thanks

I work in HR Compliance for a charter school management company, basically ensuring that teachers and other staff are in compliance with all the provisions of No Child Left Behind. In addition to certification and highly qualified status, I am also responsible for contract employees and criminal background checking. I'm kind of a nerd, so it's the perfect job for me
Very cool!

Love music, need trumpet???
Look here: http://stores.ebay.com/Kalamazoo-Brass
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks

Oh... I recognize you from Ovusoft. I kept seeing your name and your LO's face (in your avatar) and finally connected the two.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
Husky359
Registered Users

I am in Spring Lake, so we only go to GR for fun (we live right on the sand dunes of Lake Michigan, 45 min drive to GR). I just wanted to say (not to be a downer, though, just a fact) that one of my friends here moved from Washington 3 years ago. Her and her husband miss it SO very much, it seems hard for her. She loved the mountains and hiking and the weather and everything out in Washington.
Husky359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I grew up in MI and really loved living there. It's very friendly, lots of things for kids to do. I haven't been there in a while to comment on the schools, but they had decent schools when I went there and no major scares.

The Van Andel does lots of shows, concerts, circus, etc. at a good price. There's teh Children's museum downtown. The Klackle Orchard is awesome to visit in the fall. The drive to Lake MI isn't too bad and it's beautiful there.

With all the suburbs around, there's always somewhere to go and something to do. I would have no issue living in the city of Grand Rapids. Even the "bad" parts aren't hall that bad, IMO.

The winter SUCKS, the roads SUCK, but overall, it's a great place to live. If I moved back east, that's where I'd move.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #19
Joe'sgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I live in Rockford, about 10-15 minutes N of Grand Rapids. I love it!!!! You could not ask for more playgrounds, hiking trails, paved bike paths, etc. Rockford has really cute shops that you walk to and a great farmers market from June through Oct. The school system is wonderful and there are many churches to choose from. Most people are friendly - such a great place to raise a family. Michigan does every season well. Fall is SO Beautiful! And there are so many places to pick your own apples, enjoy hay rides, etc., Winter has every child out in the snow making forts and sledding down the many hills, Spring boasts the Holland Tulip festival and everything turns so green and it seems everyone is eager to be outside walking the trails again, or visiting the parks. Summer absolutely cannot be beat!! The weather is perfect! and we have so many lakes to choose from to enjoy it - all with such sandy beaches. Lake michigan is of course the most famous, but in Rockford you are never more than 10 minutes from a public beach - several with playgrounds. It's awesome. The only thing I'd add would be mountains, and the only thing I'd take away would maybe be 1 month of winter.
Joe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #20
AmandaRenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awww, MI people! I wish I could you all!

I grew up in Montrose, a little town north of Flint, and I can't imagine a better place to grow up. It's such a beautiful state! And the people are so much nicer than they are out west. In El Paso people would sooner run you over with their car than help you :P