Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weight Gain?

Little Owen is just that....LITTLE. I don't expect him to be a chunk by any means but he hasn't gained a full lb yet since birth. maybe a lb fromt he weight he dropped to after birth but definitely not a lb since birth. He was 7 lb 15 oz and today he was 8 lb 6oz. Just 3 weeks ago or so he was 8lb6 oz at the wic office.

The dr wants me to bring him back in a week and if he hasn't gained, wants to explore adding a teeny amount of formula to his bottles at daycare. IDK what to do...I want to gain at least 'SOME' weight. This all is hard enough as it is while having to work.

I don't always check to make sure he's sucking/pausing/etc the 'pattern' of nursing (I read some of Jack Newmans stuff the Lactation consultant told me about this week)

I nurse on demand at home, very rarely a bottle unless we're at an event or like when we took landon to the disney thing while MIL watched the baby. Then he gets 4 bottles at daycare. He hasn't been there long enough to see if that's more than adequate or not. Friday he only drank 3 of the 4oz bottles and monday he drank 4 bottles but only 3 oz out of each. not sure about today yet.

Even on the bf charts at kelly mom he's on the lower side. I just dont' want everyone jumping on my case. This is hard enough having to work

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weight Gain?

My DS was 10 pounds, 4 ounces at birth and is just now at 12 pounds, 1 ounce. He's 3 1/2 months old. He's above the 95th percentile for length, and 75th for head circumference. He's growing fine, meeting all of his milestones, happy, and eats on demand from the breast with 1 or 2 supplements a day of donor milk. He's just not a fast gainer, some babies are and some aren't. My older DS was the same way, and now he's in the 90th percentile for weight. Case in point, one of my milk donors has a 17 pound 4-month-old daughter. Same milk, different growth. I would seriously caution you against giving formula as it can lead to other issues. Give your LO time to grow, feed him on demand (breast or bottle, when you are at work/he is at daycare) and he'll be fine. Good luck mama, and remember that stress can negatively impact your milk supply!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
mama0609
Banned
seller

Well to start...

What was his lowest known weight after birth? DO NOT go by his birth weight. Especially if you had a c-section/fluids/antibiotics. The weight was likely inflated. What was his 24 hour weight, discharge weight and 1 week (first pedi visit?) weight?

The minimum to gain is 4 oz per week. Ideally you want it to be between 5-7oz but I know Bella was gaining 3-4 oz per week in the very beginning and she's fine now.

How are his diapers? Enough wets and dirties? Is he awake and alert? Skin color, etc.? Pedi's tend to jump the gun (heck ours said to give her 2 oz of formula and then nurse when she was only 5 days old and she'd lost less than 1lb!). I'd hesitate to supplement just yet but I need more weights before I can really give an opinion.

Feel free to PM me or message me on FB too... I'll help you best I can based on my BTDT knowledge...
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumma1010 View Post
My DS was 10 pounds, 4 ounces at birth and is just now at 12 pounds, 1 ounce. He's 3 1/2 months old. He's above the 95th percentile for length, and 75th for head circumference. He's growing fine, meeting all of his milestones, happy, and eats on demand from the breast with 1 or 2 supplements a day of donor milk. He's just not a fast gainer, some babies are and some aren't. My older DS was the same way, and now he's in the 90th percentile for weight. Case in point, one of my milk donors has a 17 pound 4-month-old daughter. Same milk, different growth. I would seriously caution you against giving formula as it can lead to other issues. Give your LO time to grow, feed him on demand (breast or bottle, when you are at work/he is at daycare) and he'll be fine. Good luck mama, and remember that stress can negatively impact your milk supply!
TY! I forgot to check the 'percentiles.' but he'd grown to 23 inches. He was 21.5 at birth...and his head is bigger That's how baby owen is...everything else was 'A Okay'. I told DH I definitely didn't want to go that route - even more so b/c he's a happy baby. like mostly he just cries when he's ready to eat...or when you put him in a bathtub. The people pleaser part of me just had to zone everyone out. (as far as them telling me he should weigh more)
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama0609 View Post
Well to start...

What was his lowest known weight after birth? DO NOT go by his birth weight. Especially if you had a c-section/fluids/antibiotics. The weight was likely inflated. What was his 24 hour weight, discharge weight and 1 week (first pedi visit?) weight? I can't remember all of those I know when we left the hospital he was 7'8. Another appt he was 7'12..but i can't remember if that was 1 week or 2 weeks after birth...the other thing b/c we'd had him weighed at wic as well at different times...all the #s get boggling after a while.

The minimum to gain is 4 oz per week. Ideally you want it to be between 5-7oz but I know Bella was gaining 3-4 oz per week in the very beginning and she's fine now. Thanks

How are his diapers? Enough wets and dirties? Is he awake and alert? Skin color, etc.? Pedi's tend to jump the gun (heck ours said to give her 2 oz of formula and then nurse when she was only 5 days old and she'd lost less than 1lb!). I'd hesitate to supplement just yet but I need more weights before I can really give an opinion. Diapers - great...many wets in a day and now poopies - he may go a few days w/out poop but its no biggie. Yes on the awake and alert...skin is great, jaundice gone long ago, muscles getting stronger, holding his head up and turning it for brief moments. he's rolled tummy to back twice before and he tries to attempt lifting his chest..but i think his head is a little top heavy

Feel free to PM me or message me on FB too... I'll help you best I can based on my BTDT knowledge...
We have been using the nipple shield b/c he would not latch on for any length of time and he was exhausting himself so the LC told me just to go ahead and use it. But he does feed well...a good 15-30 minutes on each side...sometimes shorter though. Lots of times at the end he isn't eating anymore. But in the middle of it sometimes milk will leak down my side if he pops off the shield for a second. I tried yesterday and today again to go without the shield and it hurt like crazy but there were a 'FEW' moments that it didn't hurt for a few seconds. I really have to grab the boob good with that hand in the 'C' position to get it into his mouth good.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
today he was 8 lb 6oz. Just 3 weeks ago or so he was 8lb6 oz at the wic office.
Mama am I reading this correctly – that he hasn't gained any weight in three weeks? Of course there can be variation in scales, but ideally he'd have gained between .5 - 1 pound in that time. How are his poopy diapers?

If you're having extreme pain when he latches, that is a sign that his latch might be poor. A poor latch might also = ineffective draining of the breast. These are all issues you can hammer out with the right help, but it sounds like you need some guidance! Are you in touch with your local LLL Leader? An IBCLC? *hugs*

Last edited by musicalisa; 11-12-2009 at 09:26 PM.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Reese was 8 lbs @ birth and only 13 lbs @ 6 months. She hung out around the 10th percentile til she was 15+ months. I caught some slack about it, but stuck to my guns and never gave her formula, as she was tiny, but healthy & happy.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
Mama am I reading this correctly – that he hasn't gained any weight in three weeks? Of course there can be variation in scales, but ideally he'd have gained between .5 - 1 pound in that time. How are his poopy diapers?

If you're having extreme pain when he latches, that is a sign that his latch might be poor. A poor latch might also = ineffective draining of the breast. These are all issues you can hammer out with the right help, but it sounds like you need some guidance! Are you in touch with your local LLL Leader? An IBCLC? *hugs*
That's right...I will interject though that the wic office and the dr office always weigh him differently. And there's a slight possibility I could be off on my timing on the last time I went to WIC when he was 8.6 (at the point that I did they told me his weight was okay and good to go..b/c the previous time i was there he was smaller and did gain some weight)

When I use the nipple shield he eats a very long time and will go on to sleep after eating on both sides...but when i try without the shield, it is extremely painful..like I get super weak through my arms and legs and my toes curl kind of pain and holding my breath. With the shield the pain is pretty much non existent. And I've been using the shield since we were in the hospital. Only 3-4 times max Have I tried nursing without and and keep going back to it. The only thing is when he's on the first time b/c when he seems done he still suckles..he'll never just 'stop' so I/m not sure if he's truly finished on that side or not b/c of him kind of using it as a paci type thing...so after 20-30 min...sometimes less if it looks like no more milk is coming out (which is a guess sometimes b/c most times I 'see' milk around his mouth when he's using the shield so i know it's coming out. But then I do switch him to the other side to eat there.

I haven't gotten in contact with LLL yet, but I do have a certified LC that knows where to go/who to see that gave me her cell phone. She was helping me wiht some pumping issues and has asked me to call her ANY time I need.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

watch his jaw when he's doing that suckling when you think he's just using you for a pacifier. you may see he is actually swallowing some milk if his jaw goes from slight suckling to a large drop to swallow, kwim? as long as he's still suckling your breasts will keep outputting milk, perhaps not as much so that you see it out the corner of his mouth, but it will still be there - as long as something is being taken out - you will continue to make more even while he's nursing - so.. the jugs r never empty so to speak. My oldest DD would nurse for literally 45 minutes on each side before she was finished.

It does sound like you have latch issues - and perhaps seeing a LC would be very beneficial or meeting w/ a LLL leader in your area - nipple shields are intended for temporary use and could be affecting your output, not allowing the baby to as efficiently empty the breast and not get enough hindmilk.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
jreadmond
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would suggest pumping after each feeding too if you are going to use the nipple shield. With the nipple shield your breast is not stimulated properly and your supply then will lessen. Also getting some hands on help to slowly wean off of the shield will be good to. But with pumping after each feeding you can then make sure you maintain your supply and you will have your extra feedings that can take the place of formula too.
jreadmond is offline   Reply With Quote