Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Weight Gain?

Originally Posted by jreadmond View Post
I would suggest pumping after each feeding too if you are going to use the nipple shield. With the nipple shield your breast is not stimulated properly and your supply then will lessen. Also getting some hands on help to slowly wean off of the shield will be good to. But with pumping after each feeding you can then make sure you maintain your supply and you will have your extra feedings that can take the place of formula too.
fabulous suggestion! i knew i was forgetting something.

Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Weight Gain?

Here's a situation too 'pain factor' and weaning off the shield...and normally we don't have funerals in the way so when i'm not working he's at breast, not bottle. BUt the funeral and events surrounding were an exception.

what 'sprouted ' all of this is when i went to my moms wednesday night for the viewing/funeral stuff, I had put the shield in my purse. Well unbeknownst to me it fell out in the car and I couldn't find it anywhere. So late wednesday nite I nursed without wasn't terrible but it did hurt like crazy. I did a 3 a.m. feeding and a 6 30 feeding same way. Then topped him off with bottle that needed to be used up. then for funeral MIL watched him and he had bottle then. after all of that was over I nursed him around 530 i think? Maybe and hurt like hell for sure. I was clenching my teeth trying not to let anyone see that it was bothering b/c i was in the living room while people were passing by. later He had another couple oz in a bottle that needed to be used b/ cof being gone and traveling we couldn't store it properly..butI nursed him again last night as soon as we got home. again it hurt soooo bad, the toe curling kind. a few times I hollared and and both daniel and landon asked what was wrong... i just said don't talk to me right now. LOL then later explained what was going on. He went to bed at 10 pm fully asleep. I was expecting him to get up around 12 or so but he slept til 5 a.m. and I nursed again (without the shield)...this time he kept coming off and moving his head and i could feel him clench down. I'd put him on again geting as much areola in as possible and it 'LOOKS' as though he has a mouth crammed full but I probably need the LC to look again. We were at it for about 45 minutes and I finally put the shield on for just a few minutes and he went to sleep. The LC told me i could also try pumping after feeding so he can get more of the hindmilk. I want to keep trying and hoping it gets better.
Lisa, Landon - 7 and Owen - 4
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote