Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
CandiceN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Afraid MIL will be using disposables

I keep sposies around for babysitters. CDing is my thing, and he's in them 95% of time. If he uses a few sposies a month to make it easier for the people who are helping us by watching him, I don't mind. I keep a few pampers and a container of wipes on the changing table at all times. Most of the time they will grab a BG (since that's pretty much my entire stash), but I don't get mad when I see a sposie on him.

Advertisement

Last edited by CandiceN; 11-11-2009 at 07:11 PM.
CandiceN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Aradiakali
Complaints against this member on FSOT transcations! Awaiting response! B/S/T with caution!
seller

My Mood:

I raised my firstborn in sposies and never had rashes. they don't instantly cause rash. I WAS too tired for the first two weeks to CD DD2, but now we are all doing fine with cloth and even grandma uses the cloth (BG AIO only, due to severe athritus/laziness). breastfeeding poo doesnt even get dumped in the toilet. its 99% liquid and soaks right through the cloth, so just throw it in the wetbag! Not a problem for MIL until , like, 4-6 months (whatever soild food age is)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
jakossi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinjoy View Post

I guess maybe I shouldn't worry unless he actually DOES develop a nasty diaper rash. I'd just prefer to prevent it, as I think CDs do.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but babies who wear CDs can get diaper rash. My DD has very sensitive skin, is in cloth FT and still gets rashes.

I guess I fall into the minority who don't think CDing is worth risking a rift in a relationship, and I greatly appreciate the valuable help these other caregivers provide for me and my children (especially when you're a first-time mom). People are the most important to me. I'd definitely let my preferences be made known, but I wouldn't push it to where it created offense.
jakossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
KarenK
Registered Users

I haven't noticed a difference in how prone my kids are to rashes in cd's versus disposables. In my own experience, my kids develop diaper rashes based more on what they've digested rather than what material is on their bum. When my CD's need to be stripped sometimes I see extra redness on the more tender nether parts. There are so many variables to a diaper rash.

Sewing is my therapy.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
I guess I'm going to be the lone voice of an opposite opinion.

While it would be nice if everyone who watched my son in diapers was enthusiastic and willing to deal with cloth diapers, I don't expect them to. If disposable diapers were causing a painful rash or some such reaction it would be one thing, but if it's for a few hours while someone is doing me a huge favor by babysitting, I don't see the big deal. There are so many worse things that she could be asserting herself into such as vaccination, breastfeeding, sleeping habits, diet, discipline, etc. Diapering is so minor.

Provide her with the simple cloth diapers you hope for her to use, but if she feels more comfortable watching the baby with disposables that she is buying and it isn't affecting the baby in any way I personally would let it go.
I agree. Unless MIL is literally moving in and will be permently doing 80% of diaper changes from now on or a rash issues comes up it jsut not an area I'd argue over... I'll send you my MIL and you'd see why.

I had to laught at this though..
Quote:
("Rags are fine for pee, but sometimes poo requires more.")
HA for every poo diaper we need like 29 sposie wipes but 1-2 cloth wipes. Cloth wipes clean up poo a million times better IMHO.

Deanna
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
oldtintype
Registered Users

I'd just be grateful anyone was willing to watch my child! If my child had problems with disposables it would be one thing but a child won't die from a few disposables now and then....
There are bigger fish to fry such as how they handle discipline, and so on! I say choose your battles! Some people really may struggle with cloth and it's not worth straining a relationship.

You could just tell her you prefer cloth and send them, but if she doesn't use them not get upset about it.
oldtintype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #17
MamaInMarch
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:

While it would be nice if everyone who watched my son in diapers was enthusiastic and willing to deal with cloth diapers, I don't expect them to. If disposable diapers were causing a painful rash or some such reaction it would be one thing, but if it's for a few hours while someone is doing me a huge favor by babysitting, I don't see the big deal. There are so many worse things that she could be asserting herself into such as vaccination, breastfeeding, sleeping habits, diet, discipline, etc. Diapering is so minor.

Provide her with the simple cloth diapers you hope for her to use, but if she feels more comfortable watching the baby with disposables that she is buying and it isn't affecting the baby in any way I personally would let it go.
This exactly. I love cloth diapering but would I risk spoiling a positive relationship with a family member, especially my baby's grandparent, over a diaper? Especially one he'd be in on occasion for a few hours? No way. Getting bent out of shape over something so minute makes me .
Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
Lovefam6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTDT mama, lol.

I have a wonderful and loving MIL AND FIL and when I started CDing neither has any interest in it. I had an 8 mo old and a 2 yr old at the time. I just explained that we planned on doing it full time, but if they wanted to by some sposies to use when the boys were with them, it would be fine. Now, a year later, I'm just now giving my MIL and gentle shove in the diretion of CD's. Have her change a couple while she's over helping you. How her how easy it can be. Make sure you have a poo sprayer or you'll be using your kitchen sink one!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

this is what I was going to say.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #20
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you trust your MIL to not ruin your nice cloth?

I actually encourage sposie use with my MIL because I'm terrified she'll slop a bunch of diaper cream and baby powder all over them, bleach them to death, or dry them with a half a box of dryer sheets. I just don't trust her to not ruin my nice pockets and AIOs. She and my mother don't get my "rules" for my diapers. They both are totally supportive of my CD-ing DS since they CD'd all their kids, but they refuse to understand why I use a tiny amount of "special" detergent and why I don't slather on gobs of Desitin and baby powder because those things never hurt their cloth diapers (Curity diapers w/plastic pants & pins). I do trust my mom to respect my new-fangled cloth diapers, but not my MIL. No chance. She'd "accidentally" ruin them, I just know it.
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote