Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
ks_girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
GBS testing?

Ive tested + for GBS before (I know that this dont mean I will test + again) and am coming up on my testing for 36wks. Now Im pretty sure I do not want antibiotics before labor .... so is there any reason to get the testing done? Whats everyones take on the whole GBS spiel?

Advertisement

ks_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: GBS testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_girl View Post
Ive tested + for GBS before (I know that this dont mean I will test + again) and am coming up on my testing for 36wks. Now Im pretty sure I do not want antibiotics before labor .... so is there any reason to get the testing done? Whats everyones take on the whole GBS spiel?
I chose not to have it for my homebirth. Do some research, and come to a conclusion that you are comfortable with...

Thank being said, there is new research showing that the use of routine antibotics during labor has not changed the outcome.

There are a lot of great MW recipes out there that are used to treat/prevent.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

Using routine broud spectrum antibiotics on a newborn comes with its own set of risks and consequences. So you have to come to a decision you can be ok with.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We choose to have the testing done, but since we're having a homebirth we choose to have it done more so we knew to treat/prevent it more agressivly if the test was +
There's a lot you can do to make sure you're safe without the antibiotics.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
ks_girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ive read that even being GBS+ ... there is sucha a small chance of any infection being passed to baby. And also that with the use of the antibiotics that there still may be a chance that baby develops infection but will be resistant to said antibiotic.

So ..... since I dont plan on using antibiotics, Im thinking why even go through with the testing kwim

What kinda of home remedies have GBS+ mamas used?
ks_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was positive both times - my second labor was so fast (at the hospital) that they weren't able to administer either doses.

We were both fine, but they did "observe" her.

I do know (because my mom works in the NICU) that GBS is super ugly in newborns. I think I would just want to know what signs I should look for just in case - to be proactive even if homebirthing.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

I have the testing done, but most likely would not have antibiotics (I've never been + before so I've never really been faced with the decision - although I've thought about it). I'd rather try other means first and foremost.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_girl View Post
Ive read that even being GBS+ ... there is sucha a small chance of any infection being passed to baby. And also that with the use of the antibiotics that there still may be a chance that baby develops infection but will be resistant to said antibiotic.

So ..... since I dont plan on using antibiotics, Im thinking why even go through with the testing kwim

What kinda of home remedies have GBS+ mamas used?
Garlic cloves like a tampon work wonders

Here is a copy and paste of an old response I posted on this, not sure if the links are still good or not.
OK, I have been a little busy lately, but here are some main stream links to show that it isn't just hippie mamas like me who are turning down testing and antibiotics.

FWIW, antibiotics are really scary stuff. They mess with your body in ways that really can harm you and the baby in the long run.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...n/group-b.html This is a good fair article with lots of facts. Pretty mainstream, but really examines why antibiotics might not be a good idea in these cases.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...infection.html
In this link the American Pregnancy Association gives the IV recommendation, but does say there are alternatives that can be prescribed 2-3 weeks before your due date so that you don't have to have Antibiotics or the IV.

http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01...formation.html This is a good read about it in Canada, it has some good links in it too.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_109265328 this is a study showing that resistance to the antibiotics is increasing, meaning the baby may or may not be protected either way

http://members.tripod.com/groupbstrep-ivil/id20.html A list of some alternatives
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep- I'm planning on going with natural/ home measures firstly to try prevent testing positive, and secondly in the week before my due date, just to try get rid of anything...