Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Question Fabric prep and a few other ? (First timer, Christmas stockings) UPDATED with pic

Alright, I felt a crafty itch and decided that since I have had such a hard time finding decent stockings for us that DH & I both like, I would just make them.
I happened to have coupons for Joann's and went and bought myself some fabric and a pattern... Now I am a bit lost. I haven't sewn anything (except my wipes) since my nanny passed away when I was 12.

I am presuming I need to wash the fabric before cutting... What temp/cycle? Do I also wash the fusible fleece?

Also, Joann's didn't have all the required parts for this pattern and told me to look online, which I have. No one has them. It's the trim, cord and tassel... Made by Wright's. I don't know quite how to go about finding something else to use, and the people at Joann's were no help at all. Every time I asked for assistance they just pointed to an aisle and told me that what I wanted should be somewhere around there (and I asked several different staff )

I'm beginning to feel I should either have just gone the 'easy' route with felt or just given up and bought something.

Any help is very, very appreciated!

ETA: Just opened up the pattern to see if my answers might be that simple... And discovered I am likely over my head as I have a simple craft machine, so don't have the required settings/parts for the cord/trim/etc. I am betting I can just leave them off, though it won't look quite as nice...
Anyway, still need the washing question answered

Advertisement

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!

Last edited by Squig'sMumMum; 12-04-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
sbfrankie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Fabric prep and a few other ? (First timer)

From your post I can't tell what stockings are (or what would require trim, cord and tassel). Are they clothing? IF so, then it's usually a good idea to prewash them on the same setting you intend to wash them in the future. I don't know if that helps or not but even a cold prewash and regular heat setting in the dryer will help remove any fabric sizing and also preshrink the fabric.
sbfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Piper's Closet
Registered Users
Formerly: ewalk585 **DO NOT FSOT~ADMIN**

My Mood:

i hate jo anna's fabric, i just sent a message yesterday to corporate, i had to call there and the lady who answered the phone did not know what a sewing machine was..

any who for washing depends on fabric -christmas stockings is what you are making right, you could get away with no washing as long as you iron the fabric. the fusible fleece does not get washed.

Make sure you have the adhesive side toward the wrong side of your fabric (it should have a slick or rough feel compared to the other side.) If one side does not feel distinctly different from the other, you may have a regular fleece and not a fusible one. I don't use steam or a press cloth and I keep the iron (hottest setting) in one place for 5-10 seconds. For heavy fabrics, I keep repeating until it's fused.
Also, if you get the adhesive on your iron, you can wipe it off with a dryer sheet right away.

you could hand sew the cords, trim, ect pretty quick as it not an item that is handled alot. just take your time..

pictures would be nice- to help you out more

Last edited by Piper's Closet; 11-14-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Piper's Closet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did make sure to get fusible fleece, and one side is rougher than the other, so that part should be simple to get done then.

Yes, Christmas stockings Sorry I didn't say specifically in the first post, I didn't even think about the other ones *lol*

I was thinking I could handstitch the trim/etc, so thank you for saying that. I am also considering replacing it with something easier to sew though, like a lace. The original trim is supposed to be a 'jingle bell' trim.

This is the image from the pattern:

ETA: This is what someone else did with the pattern

From seeing what some others have done with the pattern, it looks like they left the trim off as well, and it looks fine That gives me hope!
I was planning on embroidering our names into the cuff of the stocking as well, so that may dress it up enough to not be completely plain too. (Embroidery I know I can do at least, even if I am rusty!)

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!

Last edited by Squig'sMumMum; 11-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
sbfrankie
Registered Users
seller

LOL! I'm such a dork! I thought stockings was some kind of European clothing item! I figured I just lost something in the translation. Sorry to be of no help at all. As for trim, you might check Walmart or Hancocks, usually in the decorator fabric section for Hancocks.
sbfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

*lol*!
No problem, they are a clothing item anyway
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look there!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Got what I needed, as well as a bit of help from my MIL (and the use of her machine). Here is the outcome:

Hope that picture works for everyone, if not I can upload it somewhere else
I'm really happy with how they look and can't wait to use them! I still plan to embroider our names on the cuffs, but haven't gotten that done yet