Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone driven long distance overnight?

Hmm Thank you for the tips.

I think what I will do is drive DH to work (which is an hour south of here). Come back and take a nap with DS, then drive back to DH's work and pick him up on the way out of town. This way we can have a "head start" down there. We can then stop in North Carolina (so on the other side of the DC traffic headache) for the night and have about 10 hours of driving the following day.

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh I would spend the night somewhere!! Too long to drive!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #13
ralenth
Registered Users

We have talked about it, but never done it. The drive we make (at Christmas this year) is about 15 hours without stops, and usually longer than that. We talk every time about driving straight through. The reason we don't... at about 11pm everytime we drive at night, the youngest one starts crying, which sets her brother off, which ends with both kids screaming louder and louder. In the end DH scrambles to find a place to stop for the night.

When the kids are a bit older? We'd definitely give it a shot. We've driven non-stop several times before kids (getting up early, and driving until late).
Old 11-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
JAMmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do it.. We just cam back from Pa it took us 15 hours we left a 7pm and got there around 10 am it was much better the kids were only awake for 3-4 hours tops. On the way back we left a 7 am and it was a nightmare!!!

Check us out on Facebook
JAMmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

We drive to Ohio from Florida every year and it is 18 hours...we tried going overnight the first year and DH and I vowed we would never ever ever...do that again. Just thinking about it gives me shutters. We stay overnight in West Virginia or Virginia.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I think that'd be a bit long, especially for a child your son's age.

The furthest we've driven w/ my DD (who is almost 2y+4m) is 4 hours one way down to Ohio to visit my family. And that is hard on her.

When my sister was getting married at the beginning of June 2007 (I was 8 months pregnant), we all drove from NW OH (about 45 minutes from the MI border) to Raleigh, NC on an overnight trip.

It took about 12-13 hours, if I remember right. We left at 2-3 a.m. and drove straight through. My cousin and DP took turns driving. We also had my cousin's two children (who were 4 years old and 21 months, at the time) and they actually did very well.

Her son (21-month-old) slept a lot of the way and we got out to stretch and eat and take breaks quite a bit, b/c I was very pregnant and the kids were still young yet.

We're planning a long trip in February. Going from MI (we live in the Grand Rapids area) to South Carolina (Myrtle Beach) and plan to stop in NC to visit my aunt/uncle and cousins before heading all the way down. We plan to drive straight through.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd stop somewhere also. We drove from AZ to TX overnight, dh drove the whole time. He stopped for a 20 min rest and kept going across TX...I was wiped, so I don't know how he did it.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we used to do a 16 hour trip all the time through the night although at the speeds my DH would drive it usually ended up being more like 14.5 hours!!LOL however it is doable. we always left around 530 though so that way there was about 3 hrs before our boys fell asleep and that was usually enough time for them to get restless so they passed out and were asleep for most of the rest of the trip! we stopped doing the overnight drive thing after a couple years and started taking two days to do it instead just becasue we had a friend that lived half way through so free overnight stay! wish you the best on your trip though!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We have made several trips straight through of a length of 15-19 hours. So long as at least one adult gets a good amount of sleep before hand we've always been fine. Sometimes we stop at a truck stop in a well-lit area and take a short nap, but generally we've not had a problem.

I say, budget for a hotel in case you need it. Take munchies, not snacks. Make sure you have music you enjoy and can listen to for hours in case there's not a radio station you like. We never had a problem with the kids, and we started doing these trips when our oldest was 9 months or so. We did a few before that, but not in one long haul.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My only advice when planning a long drive is avoid getting to your destination in the middle of the night, if possible.

We left at DD's bedtime on a 4 hour trip a few years ago (when she was 2) and when we got there she was so confused about being in a strange place it was really hard to get her back to sleep.

TuthGuru is offline   Reply With Quote