Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: siblings 4 years apart?

My kids are about 3 1/2 year apart and they play great together. If anything I find my DD (who's 1) beats on my 4 year old too much They share a room so their toys are all mixed and I've taught my DS to keep toys smaller than his hand away from her and he's been great with it

Advertisement

MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: siblings 4 years apart?

I think it is good to teach them to play together but I also think it is good to teach them that it is ok to have personal space if they need it.

If DS is working on something important to him and doesn't want to be disturbed (a puzzle perhaps) designate the kitchen table as a "safe place". Then teach your DD that she can't play with whatever DS is doing at the table. When she gets old enough to want a safe place for her toys teach her about using the table as well and the same rules will apply that DS can't disturb her project. I think it is good to teach older siblings to tolerate younger childrens antics but I also think it is good to teach younger children to respect other peoples space and projects. It is also gives the older child a sense of self-worth and a good sense of boundaries.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote