Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #1011
Erica820
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats Picture Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariola View Post
ok, today was our first day using flats and of course it didn't go very well... I could fold the flat just fine, but had hard time putting it on my baby. For reference, she's almost 2 months old, about 11lbs and we're using snappis. I tried rosie posie and mini kite. Are there other folds that work better on tiny babies? Also, anyone has photos of little babies in flats (as an encouragement that it can be done ) or point me to the pages that have photos?

TIA!

ETA: I had this page open for hours before writing this post and didn't notice that there was a photo posted tonight That fit looks so much better than our attempts today. Any tricks on doing kite fold for little baby like that?
What type of flats are you using? I am using osocozy flats on my 3 week old with the kite fold and they fit great. The only picture I have is of the ONE time I did the origami fold on her.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #1012
deanaparthur
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The kite fold and me don't get along as well as the origami - I've had 2 heavy wetter's during my CD days, and haven't done anything except the origami fold in years. Sorry I cant help!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #1013
mom2LandJ
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkilikina View Post
I read through the entire thread the other day, and you ladies inspired me to go back to flats. I love the simplicity! My 13-mo old DS, on the other hand, seems to hate them - he seems way worse (ranging from squirmy to all-out fighting) for flat changes than any of our other diapers! I'm not sure if it's because there's two pieces...or they're uncomfortable... Any thoughts on how to make him "like" flats better? Or tips on how to get a good fit on a running-away baby?
I sing to my 14 mo runaway baby during diaper changes...it seems to work better than when I'm yelling at him to "stay still!!!"

Plus you'll get better at it with practice. Its just a tough age for changes anyway. They can finally get around on their own and dont want to be held back for anything! It gets easier in a couple months

Last edited by mom2LandJ; 07-19-2010 at 08:11 AM.
mom2LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #1014
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, some mamas on here make flats look so easy! But for me there is definately a learning curve. It has taken me a couple of months to get a few folds down that I like and do well with. I have also found that some folds are not good for snappis as there is not enough material on the sides to prevent the snappi from reaching the skin. For me it has just taken practice, practice, practice
Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #1015
MBRA518
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I question for those using flats on toddlers - do you always use a doublers - or 2 flats - or do I just have the wrong flats?

I bought the ones from ebay (granitesmith I think is the seller) they are very soft and quite absorbant - but I need a doubler - I usually use birdseye pockets insert that were given to me and that works well - that fabric is about the same thickness at my flats - but not as soft.

She had a rash the other day so I was letting her go coverless in a single flat at home and it holds a pee (or a poo just fine too) - like she's not leaking - but you don't want her sitting on your lap She's not what I would consider a heavy wetter - but she is 20lbs and loves her water.

We are a CDing (PL'd now), BWing, BFing (done at 2), ERFing, BLW family
Challenging myself to make all DD's clothes - and a few for myself too
MBRA518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #1016
MommaYoung
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow, this is so helpful, thank you. Can I ask.... Do you use covers at all? I am a newbie, sorry.
& baby #5 Due 09/26
My Blog: Momma Young at Home Mommy Stuff, Reviews & Giveways
MommaYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #1017
deanaparthur
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518 View Post
I question for those using flats on toddlers - do you always use a doublers - or 2 flats - or do I just have the wrong flats?

I bought the ones from ebay (granitesmith I think is the seller) they are very soft and quite absorbant - but I need a doubler - I usually use birdseye pockets insert that were given to me and that works well - that fabric is about the same thickness at my flats - but not as soft.
My 2.5 year old can wet through a single LL flat in a blink of an eye. I have LL flats I bought that were cut and sewn in half for doublers (work amazing). With DS I add one of those and a thin but absorbent hemp doubler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaYoung View Post
Wow, this is so helpful, thank you. Can I ask.... Do you use covers at all? I am a newbie, sorry.
My DD goes coverless TONS but she's not mobile. My very mobile heavy wetting DS on the other hand rarely is coverless.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #1018
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518 View Post

She had a rash the other day so I was letting her go coverless in a single flat at home and it holds a pee (or a poo just fine too) - like she's not leaking - but you don't want her sitting on your lap She's not what I would consider a heavy wetter - but she is 20lbs and loves her water.
I have always had to use a doubler with my toddler but not my 4m old. If I would have let him go coverless he would have leaked right down the legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaYoung View Post
Some mamas prefer to go coverless but we prefer covers here! I am still trying to find a fool proof fold for us and in the meantime we have leaks with EBF poo onto the covers. There is no way I would let the boys go coverless here. My carpets would look like poo....literally!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #1019
kkilikina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LandJ View Post
I sing to my 14 mo runaway baby during diaper changes...it seems to work better than when I'm yelling at him to "stay still!!!"

Plus you'll get better at it with practice. Its just a tough age for changes anyway. They can finally get around on their own and dont want to be held back for anything! It gets easier in a couple months
Thanks, I really needed to hear this! We'll keep practicing! I can get a great fit when he *is* still - so I know that flats can work well. Half the time, though, I give up and padfold into a wrap and leave it at that - not as trim as I'd like, and no poop protection, but it works well enough.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #1020
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Just curious, does anyone have the GMD large bleached flats? Are they square? How's the softness/thickness compared to a LL? Would the size be way too big on a petite baby (my 7mo is only 15lbs)? I have only LL unbleached now, but I think I'm going to want some bleached. I just really adore the crisp white much more than the unbleached. I'd like to buy something that is relatively "OS" like a LL flat but in bleached.

We may have another baby someday and I don't want to have to buy "small" flats for a newborn. I just want flats that fit everybody and not have to buy diapers ever again. I don't want to store multiple sizes. I just want a nice big fluffy pile of bleached flats that work on any age of baby. My kids tend to potty train around 3, but usually aren't more than 28-30lbs at that age and should fit in a "regular" flat.

Or should I try "bleaching" my LL flats and just stick with those? I know that if you soak them in oxyclean you can get them much lighter. I love the size and absorbancy of the LL, I sure wish they came in bleached! We can get away with no doubler during the day with the LL and that sure would not have happened with the ones we tried from Cottonbabies ages ago.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote