Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Preemie baby and BF...Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eragsdale View Post
i think you are only supposed to take Fenugreek up until your milk increases and then stop.

Also i could only get 2oz from each breast using an automatic pump (hosp grade medela); i went and got a medela hand pump and was able to get up to 4oz each breast. I also hand expressed.
Wow I didnt know that!! I took fenugreek the whole time I BF my other 3!

I have a hospital grade medela too and I just cant get a lot. Its sooooo frustrating!!!

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
Wow I didnt know that!! I took fenugreek the whole time I BF my other 3!

I have a hospital grade medela too and I just cant get a lot. Its sooooo frustrating!!!
try hand expressing and see what happens. It takes longer of course; but the joy was seeing me get more milk for my baby. Ds#2 was born at 35wks.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just called the NICU and they are FINALLY going to let me put her to the breast! Her next feeding is in 45 min and I cant make it there in time so I will go to the next one. Thnx ladies!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
grady&finnsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS came at 28wks 3 days and he never got the hang of BFing. I pumped for almost 5 months, but i never produced more than 2 oz per side. Here are a few things that I was told by our LC...

1. Drink tons (more than 64 oz a day)
2. Even though your LO is here, your internal clock thinks you should still be PG, so you may produce more closer to your due date.
3. Pump every two hours throughout the day and sleep at night.

I would totally ask for the LC to come and help you. They typically will bend over backwards to help you so that you don't feel frustrated and an get that baby nursing.

I found that some nurses do not want to deal with mom's trying to BF because it messes up the whole feeding, meds, etc. schedule. Be proactive... Ask the LC to help and see if there is any reason why you are not able to try BFing now.

Skin to Skin or Kangaroo Care is critical. I did not have a Moby with DS, but I would totally take a moby and wrap it around to keep the warmth. They do encourage you to go topless, so try to sneak the baby to the breast during that time. My LO was so tiny, but I would put him as close as I could and he would suck a few times each time. Anything will help. Also pumping with the hospital pumps while you are visiting NICU is great. I always produced more at the hospital rather than at home with my Medela.

Good Luck! Be your own advocate. That was one of the things I learned while our DS was in NICU. If you don't stand up for your LO and you, they will do whatever is easiest.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard this pump is fab because it was specially designed to actually replicate the baby's sucking pattern, not just be a vacuum (which doesn't work for all women), but I've never tried it. Just a thought. Hopefully she'll bf well and you won't need a pump soon!
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
'burbtransplant
Registered Users

It seems like you should have enough. When a baby is full term, his stomach is about the size of a marble-- imagine how little it takes to fill that!
There also has been a lot of success with cup feeding, which helps avoid nipple confusion in the future.
'burbtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have the right size shields for the Medela pump? That can make a huge difference in trying to pump milk. My dd was born at 35 weeks and in the NICU for ten days. She was first put to breast at 5 days. My milk came in on day 3 and I pumped 100's of oz in those first ten days of her life. I pumped every 2-3 hours during the day and slept 6 hours at night. I drank tons of water and made sure I was eating.

The Medela pump is not for everyone, but with my son, I had too small of shields and produced much more milk once I discovered there were different sizes. I am glad I had it figured out when dd was born because exclusively pumping would have been very painful. If you are unsure about the shield sizes, your lactation consultant can help you
Old 11-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend just had her baby at 34 weeks and pumped for 3 days, until she was out of the incubator, and started putting her to breast right away from then. She was still getting some syringe feeds, my friend had a great supply though, and she would pump at home and come in twice a day to breastfeed as well, until 2 weeks old when they let her stay for 24 hours and show she could totally breastfeed without problems, and they let her take her baby home. So I would say, it depends on the baby and your unique issues but I don't see why you can't start at least trying the breast now.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hope the breastfeeding session went well today. I remember how horrible it was for me. One session would go great and the next one was terrible. I was so afraid we would fail! At 8 months old, she still struggles to efficiently eat, but we are getting by. Good luck, mama!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

Mom to 28 week twin here, YES you can breastfeed a preemie! My twins are 7 months old now, and one exclusively breastfeeds, and the other never got the hang of transfering milk (she still loves to nurse, just for comfort though!). It can take a lot of work, but it will pay off!!! Trust me! Don't by shy about it- tell everyone you want to put to breast a often as possible, do kangaroo care as soon as the arterial line is out, and completely take advantage of the NICU LC! Here is a link about pumping while baby is in the NICU. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html This has a lot of graet information here! GL!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote