Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
borja010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Another Dumb BF'ing Q- Anyone???

OK, this is prolly the dumbest bf'ing question but here it is anyway...

How do you know when your supply is low??? I always hear mamas on lists talking about how their supply is "too high" (I suppose this is obvious!) or "getting low" or whatever...

I just wonder b/c I am hoping dd is getting enough... She is 8 mos and nursing on demand since birth. I stay at home so have never pumped or anything like that and had hoped to nurse to 1yr + at least but since 6 mos she has shown a real interest in solids. As much as I wanted to prolong it, I had to start her on solids in earnest at about 7mos... I was hoping that she was just wanting to experiment with different flavors/textures and not actually get too much down but NOPE! Even with a baby-led intro to solids (she feeds herself age appropriate foods, I do not spoonfeed) she gets down A LOT AND acts very hungry at times (even now that she is on solids!)... She can be very embarassing when we go through the produce isle in the market! It looks/sounds like I never feed her!

SOOO I am wondering if this could be supply related. I had assumed that, since she was peeing the "6 soaky diapers worth" per "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" that she was getting enough but am starting to have my doubts! Also, how much does she have to suckle for the milk to keep comming? (Currently she is off and on all night and about 2 sessions in the day).

Help! Anyone??? Similar experience? Ideas? Tips? I really want to keep BFing for a good long while!

A BIG thanks to anyone who made it all the way through the rant

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb BF'ing Question/Rant...

I do not know how much this will help, since I pumped. But maybe she is going through a growth spurt or she just gets distracted easily even before she is done.
Did she just start doing this?

Also with pumping, the babies are so much more efficient at getting out the milk, I would never be able to pump all my milk out, KWIM?

I would say if she is not dehydrated, and she has the right amount of diapers, your milk supply is fine.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loni1090 View Post
I would say if she is not dehydrated, and she has the right amount of diapers, your milk supply is fine.
and meeting milestones. It sounds like she's doing OK. I never really suspect my supply is too low. She would get pretty fussy and keep trying to eat all the time (from you) if that was the case, I would think. Hang in there.
Oh, and some babies just LOVE their solids and experiencing new things. She probably just really wants to be more independant and start to figure things out with food on her own, KWIM? Some babies love their solids, and some hate it.

Last edited by Kimmomy2dom; 01-20-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
ElizabethAW
Registered Users

My DD is now 14 months, and she is totally into solids! She has been from the first try--and she was desperate to get ahold of what was on my plate as soon as she could! I do pump from time to time, and I don't think it's a supply issue at all. There's plenty of milk there. I agree with the other posters--it's not a supply issue, it's that she likes solid food! My DD is very independent too. She refused to crawl, but loves to walk. She never wanted to be spoonfed; she wants to feed herself. I would guess that it's just part of that personality.

My biggest worry is that she will wean too early. (I BFed my son until he was 2 years, 3 months.) I'm encouraging her to nurse as often as I can, but she's an active little one!

So I don't think you need to worry about supply. Your little one just enjoys food! You're doing great!
ElizabethAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
LadonnaKen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been a co-moderator of a breastfeeding list for a couple years, and we have over 800 members, and the 8-9 month mark is notoriously when babies seem to show disinterest in nursing. Even my Gabe--he's EBF at 8.5 months, but its so hard to get him to stay still long enough to nurse sometimes---especially when we're out and about.

I would not worry about supply---if you are nursing on demand, and not offering bottles or pacifiers, then she and you are in sync--she'll suckle as she needs, and your body will respond by making the perfect amount of milk.

Give her a few weeks or a couple of months, and I bet you'll notice the breastfeeding sessions returning to "normal." (Of course, then you'll enter the acrobatic stage then )

I think you're doing a great job offering her foods on demand--going on her cues is great. Just always offer the breast first, and everything should fall in place.

Hope that helps!
LadonnaKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
borja010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb BF'ing Q- now a BIG Thank You!

Lots of love to you mamas in the know! I feel much better now!

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if shes only nursing twice during the day, i would be concerned about a supply drop. ds is 9 months and also loves his solids (started finger foods at 6.5 months and refuses to be fed most of the time, must do it himsef) but still nurses at LEAST 6+ times a day and 3+ times at night. most mamas with babes 2+ years still nurse 2 times a day. i just cant imgine that twice a day plus nighttime is enough at that age.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

At 8 months I would def. try to get her to nurse more during the day, HOWEVER I could've described my dd just like you have. She too LOVES her solids. I didn't start giving her three meals a day until 12 months. At 9 months she started actually getting 1 jar about everyday. She started to not want to nurse during that time and it hasn't gotten much better. She does nurse about 2 sometimes 3 times a day now, 17months tomorrow, but she doens't Love it like she used to. I wouldn't worry about supply, I would just be sure to limit the intake of solids, how often they're given, you know. Have you got AF yet? Maybe it's that causing a lower supply or it may even taste funny. Personally I bet you're doing EVERYTHING right. I've DONE everythign I can to get dd to nurse but she just LOVES her solids. I guess I'll be lucky if I make it to 2 years. Good luck! WTG for you!!
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoria View Post
i just cant imgine that twice a day plus nighttime is enough at that age.

DS is 8 1/2 mo old & LOVES his solids too. I have to watch how much I feed him, because he literally won't stop eating his "favorites" till he throws up! I feed him solids 2 or 3 times a day. BUT, he still nurses every 3 hours or so all day + twice at night.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
borja010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoria View Post
still nurses at LEAST 6+ times a day and 3+ times at night. most mamas with babes 2+ years still nurse 2 times a day. i just cant imgine that twice a day plus nighttime is enough at that age.
OK so are 6+ times all long sessions or are you counting each time baby suckles??? How many of these times count as a "good long quality session"??? I was thinking about your 6+ times yesterday and realized that I do put her to the breast quite often throughout the day but the thing is she will have at it for maybe 2 minutes then push it away and shes like "not now mom, it's time to play!" I guess it counts for something b/c she belches after