View Poll Results: When to give American Girl doll?
this Christmas (27 months) 10 8.26%
Easter (31 months) 2 1.65%
September (3rd birthday/36 months) 11 9.09%
next Christmas (39 months) 19 15.70%
all options are too young 73 60.33%
other 6 4.96%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
TheFlare15
Registered Users
seller

Opinion: American Girl doll for a 2 year old?

I love these dolls b/c I grew up with them (I'm 27). I was originally planning to hold out until next Christmas to get DD a nice doll. She likes the "babydolls" that she has, and does use the cloth diapers, stroller, doll bed, etc...but she just isn't hard core into them yet. Elmo still rocks, lol! Typical 2 year old, so a bit rough with things, but I think more gentle than many of her friends.

That said, they have a really cute limited edition doll out right now called Chrissa. http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/static/chrissadoll.jsf/title/Chrissa/saleGroupId/1137/uniqueId/525/nodeId/11/webMenuId/5/LeftMenu/TRUE She looks A LOT like my DD; hair maybe slightly darker, but that's about it. She actually looks more like DD than any of the "Just like you" or "Bitty Baby" dolls that they have. I think I'm going to grab her, but now I'm debating on when to give her to DD.

She'll only be 27 months at Christmas. Do I give it to her then? Wait until Easter? Or until next birthday (Sept) or Christmas when she's 3?

Either way, I only plan to get the doll, a hairbrush, and the little sundress (again, A LOT like stuff I dress DD in). This young, she doesn't need all those tiny parts and ten million accessories.

I responded to a many of the responses in post #38, but here's part of that response: OK, let me try re-phrasing my question. It's not about the $100 at all (& yes, I know I'm lucky to be able to say that)...

At what age do you think a little girl would enjoy playing with an 18" hard-bodied doll versus smaller (12-16") soft-bodied doll?

Please keep the opinions coming, but please focus on whether DD would actually like and play with her so young, not the $$ or the doll being kept in pristine condition. I just don't want to get her and have the doll be ignored. Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by TheFlare15; 11-25-2009 at 01:15 PM.
TheFlare15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
happylittlefamily
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Opinion: American Girl doll for a 2 year old?

I voted all too young. I'm 31 and have yet to get one of those dolls! LOL I'd say 5 years old at the youngest and more likely to be 7-8 yrs old when she can read the books and learn/appreciate who each doll is. Just my 2 cents
happylittlefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

All too young. I would say at the very youngest 4 but preferably 5 or 6. You could get her an itty bitty baby or whatever they are called though!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just orderd my 16 month old a bitty baby for christmas. She likes baby dolls. I gave my now almost 5 year old a bitty twin when she was almost 3. She hasn't played with it much. She isn't really into to dolls, but now she is asking for a "big" american girl. I was tempted, but don't think I will get her one until at least 6 or 7 and I told her she needed to show me that she could play with Annie (her bitty twin doll) first. I think 2 is too young for the big dolls. They are an investment and she wouldn't be able to appreciate that. Get if for her and save it. I have one that I got before I even had kids. I will give it to my girl when I feel she is ready.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
quirkbean
Registered Users
Formerly: ShortStackCustoms
seller

My Mood:

I also voted too young. I got three from theage of... hmm right around when we first got the internet.. So 3rd or 4th grade to be honest. And I didn't treat them right, but my mother never told me to take care of them. Maybe if you tell DD they are special girls that stay home and what not, it would be okay. But I would wait untill shes three.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
GabesBrie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Eeeek I destroyed mine. My grandma got it for me when I was 8 I think. I cutt the hair off and drew on it's face. Made it some new clothes out of scarfs lmfao. I had no idea how much they were worth til' I was older.I feel SOOOOO bad.
GabesBrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
TheFlare15
Registered Users
seller

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for DD to be able to keep this doll in perfect condition. I know that by her playing with it this young (any of the options), it will get a bit messed up. That's fine. We'll start her true "collection" when she's older.

I was 8 when I first discovered this series...back when there were only 3 characters! I actually have 5 or 6 of the dolls packed away, including the now-retired Samantha, but I won't give her those until she's old enough to appreciate them!

I actually would love it if she did want to drag it everywhere, sleep with it, etc. She does understand when I tell her things are "special" (like books--we're big readers!) and to be "gentle." I'm leaning towards next B-day/Christmas, but I'll definitely buy this one & save it just b/c it looks sooooo much like her!

Last edited by TheFlare15; 11-25-2009 at 12:48 AM.
TheFlare15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

maybe you could save chrissa for when dd turns 5 or older, but get her one of the baby dolls for now. i had kirsten when i was young but not until i was 11. i can't imagine giving this doll to a 2 year old, honestly, but i understand the temptation. they are really nice dolls.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
bellybellybuttons
Registered Users
Formerly: boobybaby
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would get her and put her up except for special play dates.
Kinda like a blankie though if she get worn out that will make her even more lovable. I would go with now. I wish I had been able to get one for dd that young.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #10
MaineMama2Ten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have three daughters, ages 7, 5 and 3. Our 7 year old will be getting her first American Girl doll this Christmas, but our 5 and 3 year old daughters will not. While I don't expect our dolls to remain in perfect condition, I do expect that they should be kept off the floor (away from our curious puppy), put away after play, and not used as a canvas for a budding artist. Our oldest is finally able to do all of these things, so I feel comfortable that she'll appreciate--not just love--the doll this year. Our younger daughters are more than happy with babies from Toys R Us, which works for me! I won't have to worry when I see one with missing fingertips because "Mommy" thought she needed her nails trimmed. It's really person preference, but this is what's right for our family. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful holiday!