Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Sleep Apnea in my 3 month old?

I'm not sure if my 3 month old has sleep apnea, my DH has a very mild case of it that doesn't need treatment.
So, I'll give a little back ground history, when DS was about 2 months old I awoke suddenly in the middle of the night because I sensed that something wasn't right, I couldn't hear him breathing so I felt his stomach and it wasn't moving, I panicked at that point and jumped up and started to wiggle him, he didn't move so I did it again and was about to wake DH up but then DS gasped for air and grunted. I nursed him and he fell back asleep. I wake up even more to check on him now I thought he had died

Anyway, he did that again early this morning, except I was half awake and laying there and he wasn't breathing again, it was realllly quiet and he is normally loud when he sleeps because hes always been congested sounding. So I did the same routine this time and wiggled him and nothing the 1st and 2nd try but the 3rd try he again gasped for air and grunted and woke up. Both times my heart falls to my stomach because I think he died or something I freaking hate that!
But other then those two episodes that I've woken up for I'm not sure how many might have happened. But he does hold his breath when hes first falling asleep but nothing close to the amount of time it takes me to wake up him when hes having an "episode" Its probably a good 30 or more seconds each time.

I keep thinking to myself, what would have happened if I didn't wiggle him? Would he not have started breathing again and woken up?

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Green.Mommy
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep Apnea in my 3 month old?

My DS has central apnea (which is the same as sleep apnea, his brain forgets to tell the body to breathe) and is on monitor at night for it. It was diagnosed in the NICU by a sleep study. Ask your Ped to send you to a pulmonary doc to get some answers. It is very scary. I hope you get some answers soon!
Green.Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

If he's always congested, you need to try and figure out why and deal with that. if you get rid of the congestion, most likely his sleep issues will go away, too.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I called the office and they are closed so the on call doctor called me and I explained to her what was going on and she wants to see him tomorrow in the out patient department at the hospital. I asked about sleep apnea and she said it wasn't common but she will examine him tomorrow.

But yeah, hes always sounded really stuffed up since birth, I remember when I held him after they sucked out his nose after birth he sounded like he had something in his throat or nose that was making him stuffy. He never got rid of it though it wasn't really bad until about a month ago when his older sister got sick and then he got a stuffy nose and its been worse for the past month and I need to suck his nose out everyday and normally every night or he can't even breath.

I know he has some sort of food allergy that passes threw the breastmilk because he gets a rash on his face everytime he eats, but the blood allergy test came back saying everything was normal, but I have a feeling something is up with that. That would explain the stuffy nose which an allergy can cause...
Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well the on call dr. just called back and she wants to admit him overnight to see whats going on...wish us luck please :9
Old 11-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Green.Mommy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmommy0503 View Post
well the on call dr. just called back and she wants to admit him overnight to see whats going on...wish us luck please :9
Good luck! I hope its nothing serious!!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Green.Mommy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I hope it all turned out ok.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Good luck mama!

p.s. Your ds has a great mom.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
VWgurl619
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama! I hope our little buddy is going to be ok! Everything will turn out as it should. Prayers and thoughts for you and your family tonight..

https://www.facebook.com/MickeyWorldTravelSaraRobinson
VWgurl619 is offline   Reply With Quote