Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
JuneBugg
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help Making A Mei Tai Carrier

I am looking for help to make my own Mei Tai Carrier as I cannot affrod to buy one.

What fabrics should i use and are there any good websites or patterns out there to help me out?
Have you ever made one your self? what are the measurments of a mei tai?

Please help me to do this!!! thanks so much for the help!!!

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help Making A Mei Tai Carrier

Here is a link to the tutorial that I've used 2 times now, I love it! It looks very difficult, but if you just follow the steps it's a piece of cake. It only looks hard because she did such a great job of taking lots of pics to show you every step.
http://scanditute.blogspot.com/

I'm actually getting ready to start another one using that same tutorial, but I'm still trying to decide if I might like to try this one instead, it looks great too!
http://stilllearninglife.blogspot.co.../its-back.html

Good luck and I'd love to see what you come up with!
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've made quite a few MT's in my time. For the straps I only use canvas or heavier twill (8-10oz is best). Also, for the body if you're going to use a quilting weight fabric (which is most of the pretty designs out there) be sure to use a hidden of layer of the strap fabric to reinforce it. So don't use a layer of the strap fabric alone with one layer of quilting fabric, use a layer of the strap fabric for the back of the body and one layer + the pretty fabric for the front side of the body. Also, don't use cotton thread. You need a 100% polyester thread so that it will hold up. Cotton threads break down quicker and aren't as safe and reliable. Oh, and don't forget to reinforce your seams...esp in areas where the carrier has a lot of stress (straps and base of carrier)
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
JuneBugg
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Would a heavy cord fabric reinforced with a layer of twill be okay for the straps? I read where cord sometimes breaks but what if it was reinforced?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
erin,momof4
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have the same pattern as the other woman posted and have been excited to try it. I think it looks simple enough that I would be able to do it. Now I just need to find the time.
erin,momof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am having my friend make me one and I got Home Decor fabric from Joanns. It is like a light canvas and mine will be double-sided. With a coupon and sales, my total was $15!