Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
mamamuse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Afraid to get started CDing

I know that must sound crazy, but...

I have never CD'd before. My third son is 8 weeks old today. I planned to start CDing after the first crazy month or so had passed, as I didn't want to deal with extra laundry during that time of adjustment.

Well, someone gave us a big case of size 1 sposies when he was born, so I kept using them after one month had passed. I still have some left, but my little big man is growing out of them. He was 9 lbs. 1 oz. at birth and is now 13 pounds and a little chunker! And I swore I wasn't going to buy sposies for him except to keep a few on hand for outings, so...it's time to take the leap!

But I don't know why I feel so afraid of doing so! My stash consists of prefolds, and assorted covers including Thirsties Duos, Mother-ease and Kushies. I also have a couple of WAHM AIO's.

I'm thinking part of my apprehension is that I'd planned to EBF as I did my other two. But we had many unexpected issues with breastfeeding this time, and he is still getting about half his food from formula supplements. Everyone talks about how easy it is to wash EBF poop out of cloth, but it is that hard with formula poop? (Because he's both BF'd and gets formula, his poo is somewhere between the two, consistency-wise...though sometimes the poo is clearly one or the other based on what he'd eaten when.)

Sorry that is so long...but if anyone can help me feel better about doing this, I'd appreciate the encouragement. I really enjoyed building my stash during my pregnancy. I can't believe I feel so reluctant to start using it!

Thanks,
Kari

Advertisement

mamamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
sbay
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Afraid to get started CDing

Hi Kari!!

You can do it mama!!!!

Good for you for choosing cloth for your baby, and it's ok to feel nervous about it all!!!

I totally know how you feel about being overwhelmed with everything right now. My 4th baby had tongue tie really bad, and had a huge problem with nursing making life very very difficult the first few months or so.

Don't feel bad if you only use cloth part time at first. One tip I have found from using cloth over the years is that the more diaper you own the easier it is to cloth diaper. Even if you can only afford flats to supplement your stash for a while. Our grandmothers/mothers recommended getting 5 dozen diapers for a newborn. That number seems ridiculously high, but if you think about it, newborns can go through 24 diapers a day, and on top of all that you are the most busy you'll ever be the younger the baby is! Having a lot of diapers gives you the option to not wash for a few days if you get really really busy without running out of diapers, or feeling chained to the washer.

Just a thought )
Let us know how it goes!! And congrats on your baby!!

SoftBums covers, made in USA!! Check out our BLOG Giveaways!!!
sbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your baby!!!
I EBF my first two children and they were both in cloth. Now, I am cloth diapering my third exclusively formula fed adopted daughter. I don't think dealing with formula poo has been harder (if anything) maybe a little easier than my breastfed babies because it was more solid and easier to dump!!!!!!

I think the hesitation is normal! Just go into it thinking you can do what you can. If at first, you are only doing 2 days a week, that is great! I have tried to have that attitude this time because I didn't want to set myself up for failure. If I need a break, I know where CVS is and I take a break!!! No worries, you don't have to be perfect to cloth diaper your baby!!! I would say we do about 85-90%, but I feel great about the days we do need a break and take one because I am only human raising three children and there are "those" days when you need a break!! Start off small, and when things cool off a little (you start getting more sleep, etc) the whole routine will take place and you may be doing full time before you know it!!!!
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Shellbell75
Registered Users

Hi-I started cd'ing my 8 month old twins and 2 y/o a few months ago and wish I had started sooner! I wash every other day, so its really not that much more laundry. Instead of looking at it as a "chore" I look at it as something wonderful that I am doing for my kids. Once you start, I'm sure you'll wish you started sooner.
Shellbell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
cowgirl76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally know how you feel mama! I loved building my stash and was excited to start cd'ing, but once my LO arrived, I had no desire to use cloth! I did not plan on cd'ing until the mecconium had passed, so I had disposables on hand and it was just easier. I had all these cute cloth diapers all laid out on my change station staring at me at every diaper change, but I was really reluctant to grab one.
I finally started to dabble with my cd's about 2 weeks after my LO was born. We now cd most of the time, but still use disposables when we go out and sometimes at night (only because I don't like to use fitteds with PUL covers and don't want to use wool at night and only have about 8 AIO's that work).

My advice, start out slow with no pressure. If it works, it works. If not, don't stress about it. Maybe try a different type/brand of diaper if what you have isn't working. Good luck mama!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would recommend starting out slow, and moving to full time only when you're ready. You can try different diapers and find a routine that works for you
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Olivias Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Once you get a system down, the extra work (laundry,etc) is nothing. I didnt start CD'ing until DD was almost 1 year old. I started with AIOS then switched to pockets. Now, Im working on trying fitteds. I know it sounds like a lot of work compared to sposies, but its just as much work to toss a sposie in the kitchen trash than it is to toss a cloth dipe into a dry pail. More laundry, but so worth it! (And SO SO much cuter!!!!)
Olivias Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
LMMakani
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbell75 View Post
Hi-I started cd'ing my 8 month old twins and 2 y/o a few months ago and wish I had started sooner! I wash every other day, so its really not that much more laundry. Instead of looking at it as a "chore" I look at it as something wonderful that I am doing for my kids. Once you start, I'm sure you'll wish you started sooner.

I also started at 7-8 months and wish I had started earlier. I was so scared to start and it's truly not bad, just intimidating when you are starting. Please don't hesitate to PM with questions! I am still trying new things. I was told I would get addicted. I didn't believe it. I jumped in with both feet and figured my stash would be it. Well now my ds is getting bigger and I have just found myself ordering 5 different kinds of diaper/covers, including my first wool, and a new detergent all this week. YIKES!!! I sort of feel like I'm starting over but excited to try everything out. I haven't even tried the wool yet bec. I am afraid to mess it up. lol The mamas on here can certainly help you start and don't hesitate to ask questions. I have been, and am about to start looking up old posts to learn more right now.

Try SwagBucks. You can be my SwagBucks Friend and earn FREE Amazon giftcards too!
LMMakani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
LMMakani
Registered Users

Oh, and it's fine to cloth with formula fed. Just make sure to do your cold rinse before the hot wash.

Try SwagBucks. You can be my SwagBucks Friend and earn FREE Amazon giftcards too!
LMMakani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
SAHM2Seven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Welcome to the dark side, LOL

CD seems like an overwhelming chore when you first think about it. My online best friend, which we met IRL about 5 yrs ago and are BFF, introduced me to cloth. I was sooo reluctant to first start, but once I did, there was no turning back. I have to say that in the 6 1/2 yrs that I have been CDing, we have gone thru periods when we used disp only...I had to take a break, but when id come back, id love it again.

Try a little bit at a time of everything and see what works best for your baby.
In time you'll see what works and doesnt. I have 7 children, I CD out of necessity when my 19 yr old was a baby...like in between paydays, but HATED it b/c all I had then were Gerber prefolds and Dappi velcro wraps they used to sell at *gasp* Wal Mart! I liked the vented covers just not the prefolds.

Then I met my friend online and she had been CD her little ones...introduced me to the new world of cloth, and I was in it, hook, line and sinker!!!

I dont enjoy doing laundry for my huge family, but cloth laundry, its not a chore, that is FUN! I love it when they come out of the dryer, and I fold them and put them all together and away, does not seem like a chore!

I hope you try it, I think its great that you have some, and might as well give it a try. If you hate it, you can always sell your diapers on here
But once you try it, I think you just might like it.

Hugs mama!
Kimberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamuse View Post
I know that must sound crazy, but...

I have never CD'd before. My third son is 8 weeks old today. I planned to start CDing after the first crazy month or so had passed, as I didn't want to deal with extra laundry during that time of adjustment.

Well, someone gave us a big case of size 1 sposies when he was born, so I kept using them after one month had passed. I still have some left, but my little big man is growing out of them. He was 9 lbs. 1 oz. at birth and is now 13 pounds and a little chunker! And I swore I wasn't going to buy sposies for him except to keep a few on hand for outings, so...it's time to take the leap!

But I don't know why I feel so afraid of doing so! My stash consists of prefolds, and assorted covers including Thirsties Duos, Mother-ease and Kushies. I also have a couple of WAHM AIO's.

I'm thinking part of my apprehension is that I'd planned to EBF as I did my other two. But we had many unexpected issues with breastfeeding this time, and he is still getting about half his food from formula supplements. Everyone talks about how easy it is to wash EBF poop out of cloth, but it is that hard with formula poop? (Because he's both BF'd and gets formula, his poo is somewhere between the two, consistency-wise...though sometimes the poo is clearly one or the other based on what he'd eaten when.)

Sorry that is so long...but if anyone can help me feel better about doing this, I'd appreciate the encouragement. I really enjoyed building my stash during my pregnancy. I can't believe I feel so reluctant to start using it!

Thanks,
Kari
SAHM2Seven is offline   Reply With Quote