Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
plumpossum
Registered Users

Re: How accurate is fundal height for estimating baby's size?

I'm 5'4" and my husband is very small framed, 5'9", and he weighed 5lbs even at birth. I told my doctor repeatedly that I was a 9 pounder and that I was the smallest in my family (my largest cousin was over 12 lbs at birth), my doctor insisted that I was measuring behind and bumped my due date by a week. He kept telling me that my boy would be 7 pounds, 7 and a half at the most (by my fundal height, third trimester exams, and estimates from my 19 week ultrasound)

He was 8 lbs 12 oz and born 3 days after his due date. I never measured any bigger than I was.

Advertisement

plumpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
shara1128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think fundal height has much to do with weight. I usually measure 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ahead and DS was 7lbs, 11 oz and DD was 6lbs, 12 oz.
shara1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Keep in mind that induction INCREASES your risk of a cessarean section... so being induced to try to avoid a section isn't in your favor.

Posterior babies are no fun, but you have to allow yourself to move and get through it. I really don't believe in 'stalling' ('just because') - there a reason progression has temporarily subsided. When you 'stalled' in your last labor, what were you doing? On the bed? In the water? Did you attempt to change whatever it was that you were doing? Sometimes babies just need some extra time to find a better position to be born.

The weight isn't what really matters - head size is more important (and a head molds). Your baby's head isn't going to drastically grow in size from 38-42 weeks. Yes, he or she may put on a pound, but it doesn't really make a difference. It's just fat. It squishes.

And induction are 38 weeks are not 'safe' JUST because you are 38 weeks. I had a 38 week induction that landed my son in the nursery under an oxygen hood for the first 24+ hours of his life attached to moniters and tubes and crap due to respitory problems. Respitory problems I am SURE are due to his induction. He simply wasn't ready (and we were sure on dates).

Let your baby come when he or she is ready, if the only thing you're afraid of is his/her size. You can birth what you bake.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Assuming that this pregnancy progresses like the others, I personally am not too worried about an induction ending in a c/s. I was 4 and 5 cm dilated and at least 75% effaced with both inductions and both progressed well.

With my labor that stalled, I was stuck at 9 cm for over an hour before opting to get the epidural. Up until about an hour before that I was up and walking around, tried using the shower for pain relief (no birthing tub in that room), moving positions, etc. I had a very nice nurse who was very supportive of my attempt to go natural who suggested different things for us to try. I was checked and at a 9, they told me it would be soon. By that point the contractions were so intense I couldn't stand up anymore...and they were literally one on top of next with no breaks in between. I moved around on the bed a lot because there was no position that was comfortable. After an hour of that they checked me again - no progress. The OB delivering me gave me three options - 1) continue what we were doing (it had been about 9 hours since my water had broken at that point, so we still had plenty of time even on a hospital schedule), though she had no idea at this point how long it would take, and she did express some concern that since there was no break in the contractions I would be too tired when it came time to push and we would have some issues there; 2) she could take me in for an c/s right then, with the assumption that there was some reason I wasn't progressing any further - baby too big, cord too short, etc.; 3) we could try getting an epidural to see if that helped me rest up some and let my body do it's own thing, with the assumption that because I was so uncomfortable I was tensing up and essentially "fighting" my body and making it worse for myself. It took them about a half hour to get the anesthesiologist up there to place the epidural, and another half hour to get it in and working properly so that I actually got some relief. Still a 9 after all that. Once I was comfortable again DH and I "napped" for about an hour until they checked me again - at that point I was complete and an hour of pushing later she was born.

I went in thinking that natural birth would be no big deal. Now I'm still a bit amazed that some women choose to go that route...particularly those who have the long, drawn out labors. I think back to all the natural birth books I read while pregnant, and am especially baffled by the "orgasmic birth" stories. Maybe I'm a wuss
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Fundal height has always been notoriously inaccurate for me
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

Inductions are hard on babies. They lead to an increased risk of c-section not only because mom's FTP. But also because the little one cannot handle the strong pitocin induced contractions or because they are taxed being pushed out before they are ready.

Your ungrounded fear seems to be holding you back. You have already birthed a nine pound baby! that last two weeks is often necessary for your baby's growth and development.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say your risk of a c/s would be much higher with an induction than doing it naturally even if the baby is large.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
Assuming that this pregnancy progresses like the others, I personally am not too worried about an induction ending in a c/s. I was 4 and 5 cm dilated and at least 75% effaced with both inductions and both progressed well.

With my labor that stalled, I was stuck at 9 cm for over an hour before opting to get the epidural. Up until about an hour before that I was up and walking around, tried using the shower for pain relief (no birthing tub in that room), moving positions, etc. I had a very nice nurse who was very supportive of my attempt to go natural who suggested different things for us to try. I was checked and at a 9, they told me it would be soon. By that point the contractions were so intense I couldn't stand up anymore...and they were literally one on top of next with no breaks in between. I moved around on the bed a lot because there was no position that was comfortable. After an hour of that they checked me again - no progress. The OB delivering me gave me three options - 1) continue what we were doing (it had been about 9 hours since my water had broken at that point, so we still had plenty of time even on a hospital schedule), though she had no idea at this point how long it would take, and she did express some concern that since there was no break in the contractions I would be too tired when it came time to push and we would have some issues there; 2) she could take me in for an c/s right then, with the assumption that there was some reason I wasn't progressing any further - baby too big, cord too short, etc.; 3) we could try getting an epidural to see if that helped me rest up some and let my body do it's own thing, with the assumption that because I was so uncomfortable I was tensing up and essentially "fighting" my body and making it worse for myself. It took them about a half hour to get the anesthesiologist up there to place the epidural, and another half hour to get it in and working properly so that I actually got some relief. Still a 9 after all that. Once I was comfortable again DH and I "napped" for about an hour until they checked me again - at that point I was complete and an hour of pushing later she was born.

I went in thinking that natural birth would be no big deal. Now I'm still a bit amazed that some women choose to go that route...particularly those who have the long, drawn out labors. I think back to all the natural birth books I read while pregnant, and am especially baffled by the "orgasmic birth" stories. Maybe I'm a wuss
I'm like you except I'm only 5'4". All 5 of my deliveries were induced early (1-2 weeks) with no troubles. I would go in dilated 4cm too. All of my babies were over 9lbs. Labors last about 4-5 hours. My last son was sunny side up, induced at 38w, weighed 9lb 4oz. He was severely bruised and had blood shut eyes for over a month. I don't believe that "fat just squishes". Their bones are bigger than a 7lber. All of my estimated weights were on the money. My babies gain a pound week at the end. The last baby's est. weight at 37w was 8lb 1oz, he was born 1 week later at 9lb 4oz. I'm having my 37 week scan Thursday and will be induced next week. I will post again with the size of the baby. Anyway, I would definitely demand an U/S.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
I'm like you except I'm only 5'4". All 5 of my deliveries were induced early (1-2 weeks) with no troubles. I would go in dilated 4cm too. All of my babies were over 9lbs. Labors last about 4-5 hours. My last son was sunny side up, induced at 38w, weighed 9lb 4oz. He was severely bruised and had blood shut eyes for over a month. I don't believe that "fat just squishes". Their bones are bigger than a 7lber. All of my estimated weights were on the money. My babies gain a pound week at the end. The last baby's est. weight at 37w was 8lb 1oz, he was born 1 week later at 9lb 4oz. I'm having my 37 week scan Thursday and will be induced next week. I will post again with the size of the baby. Anyway, I would definitely demand an U/S.
Just because your u/s weight estimation was a pound less than the birth weight doesn't mean your baby gained a pound - u/s can be off by up to 2 lbs in either direction. Your baby could have weighed 9 lb 1 oz (or anything within 2 lbs of 8#1oz) at 37 w and the estimation was wrong.

Baby bones shift and move and flex. The baby's head molds to fit through the pelvis. Your baby could have been bruised/had trauma because he was induced when he was in a bad position (posterior), causing him to unnaturally be pushed with massive force against bones he otherwise would have had time to mold and 'give' to.

I've had two posterior babies - my last was posterior, acynclitic, and close to 9 lbs, and had zero bruising or other birth trauma. His 14.5" head had a good amount of molding to it though (Oh - and I'm also 5'4", although that has little to do with the size of the pelvic inlet/outlet, especially when relaxin is involved and a mother is allowed/able to move freely during labor and birth)

Again, if you can bake it, you can birth it. Birth is safe - intervention is risky.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!

Last edited by Kaboom; 12-01-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
I had an ultrasound a week before I was induced. I was told my son was WELL OVER 10 pounds, and to really consider a c-section. He was 8 pounds 2 ounces.

Ultrasounds are not accurate for weight at that gestation, and can be off by 2+ pounds.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote