Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How accurate is fundal height for estimating baby's size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
I'm like you except I'm only 5'4". All 5 of my deliveries were induced early (1-2 weeks) with no troubles. I would go in dilated 4cm too. All of my babies were over 9lbs. Labors last about 4-5 hours. My last son was sunny side up, induced at 38w, weighed 9lb 4oz. He was severely bruised and had blood shut eyes for over a month. I don't believe that "fat just squishes". Their bones are bigger than a 7lber. All of my estimated weights were on the money. My babies gain a pound week at the end. The last baby's est. weight at 37w was 8lb 1oz, he was born 1 week later at 9lb 4oz. I'm having my 37 week scan Thursday and will be induced next week. I will post again with the size of the baby. Anyway, I would definitely demand an U/S.
it is more likely the estimate was wrong rather than your babe gained 1 lb 3 oz in one week.

Advertisement

Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #22
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...my OB told me that the bigger babies tend to gain more per week than the smaller ones - so instead of putting on the "average" half pound of weight gain per week they can put on closer to 3/4s of a pound to a pound.

I know u/s can be way off - but the last two were right on...they told me DS would be 9 pounds (he was 8 lbs 15 oz to be precise) and they told me DD2 would be between 8 and 8.5 pounds and she was 8 lbs 1 oz.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My thoughts... I know women who have delivered 11 pound babies NO PROBLEM! I wouldn't induce early just because of size. JMHO.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #24
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
My thoughts... I know women who have delivered 11 pound babies NO PROBLEM! I wouldn't induce early just because of size. JMHO.

I'm not sure how the subject came up after I had DS, but one of the nurses was complaining about "stupid inductions for big babies" and that she had seen women have no problems with very large babies.

As for the original question. I don't know if it was based on just fundal height, but my OB guessed within an ounce of DS's birth weight at my last appointment.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:04 AM   #25
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My memory is coming back! For my 2nd, est weigh at 37w was right at 8lb she was born 2 weeks later at over 10lbs. Bigger babies Do gain a pound a week. I didn't get pitocin for her. I went in, dilated to 5cm, OB broke my water and she was born within a couple of hours. She was severely bruised without the pitcoin "forcing her out". My uterus was so stretched out, OB had to scrape the walls with guaze so I wouldn't hemerage like I did for my 1st baby. Oh! My 1st baby weighed 9lb 4oz. My body suffered some serious damage, my insides were torn, was uterus could not shrink back, I ended up in the OR to have a DNC. Inductions are not bad if your body is "ready". Most of my deliveries, I was on such a low dose, I could have done without it. Not all babies that were "baked" are delivered "with ease". For this baby I didn't start measuring ahead untill about 30w.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #26
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sadly, an 11 pound baby would not be coming out of my vagina, induced or not. They weren't even sure DS would make it, so no way a baby 2 pounds bigger would. Kudos to her though!
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #27
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My memory is coming back! For my 2nd, est weigh at 37w was right at 8lb she was born 2 weeks later at over 10lbs. Bigger babies Do gain a pound a week. I didn't get pitocin for her. I went in, dilated to 5cm, OB broke my water and she was born within a couple of hours. She was severely bruised without the pitcoin "forcing her out". My uterus was so stretched out, OB had to scrape the walls with guaze so I wouldn't hemerage like I did for my 1st baby. Oh! My 1st baby weighed 9lb 4oz. My body suffered some serious damage, my insides were torn, was uterus could not shrink back, I ended up in the OR to have a DNC. Inductions are not bad if your body is "ready". Most of my deliveries, I was on such a low dose, I could have done without it. Not all babies that were "baked" are delivered "with ease". For this baby I didn't start measuring ahead untill about 30w.

I'm sorry your birth was so traumatic for you and your baby - but I HIGHLY doubt your uterine problems had anything to do with your baby's weight.

Some babies come out bruised - birth is not easy for baby trying to find the right fit through mom's pelvis. 5 lb babies can get bruised. 10 lb babies can get bruised.

Inductions, in MOST cases - and ELECTIVE inductions in ALL cases - are bad. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Just because an induction goes 'well' (depending on your definition of what 'well' would be in regards to birth) doesn't mean the induction wasn't 'bad'. If the risks outweigh the benefits, it's BAD. I'm not referring to medically necessary inductions - but I don't consider baby weight a medical necessity in regards to induction.

My son was a 38 week induction and I was dilated to 3, effaced more than half, before my induction. I had a 'great' bishop's score and was 'term'. My labor was not short, and not long, and went relatively 'smoothly'. I didn't have any tearing or other materinal physical complications. My son, however, had respitory problems and spent over the first day of his life under and oxygen hood.

Just because something like that doesn't happen to EVERY induced labor, doesn't make it a 'not-bad' thing to do. I won't even get in the risks associated with cytotec, which is still often used, and pitocin, or AROM.

Our babies are smart. Our bodies are smart. We need to TRUST that they will take the necessary steps to birth in a way that is best for us. Just because we may not fit the stereotypical and unrealitic time frames or 'process' that many doctor's tell us it should, doesn't mean we're broken. We are all different. We will all birth different, and at different gestational times.

Again: Birth is SAFE, intervention is risky.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!

Last edited by Kaboom; 12-02-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #28
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
Sadly, an 11 pound baby would not be coming out of my vagina, induced or not. They weren't even sure DS would make it, so no way a baby 2 pounds bigger would. Kudos to her though!
The awesome thing about our bodies is "they" do not get to decide what is possible. You have birthed a nine pound baby before! Unless you have had rickets or something similer you will not grow a baby you can't birth. Elective inductions are though on babies and increase your risk of c-section dramitically. The rise is premature babies is heavily due to elective inductions
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #29
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think, once you have delivered a 10lb baby, you may look at induction a little different.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #30
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I think, once you have delivered a 10lb baby, you may look at induction a little different.
I doubt it. I've had more than a few mamas (my 'clients', but I hate that word) birth close to 10 or in the 10 range. They never seem to want an induction for the next ones, and their births don't seem any different than others I attend - some had 'easy' labors while others had 'harder' labors, just like anyone else.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote