Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #31
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How accurate is fundal height for estimating baby's size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinMartin View Post
I doubt it. I've had more than a few mamas (my 'clients', but I hate that word) birth close to 10 or in the 10 range. They never seem to want an induction for the next ones, and their births don't seem any different than others I attend - some had 'easy' labors while others had 'harder' labors, just like anyone else.
Are you a doula or a midwife?

Advertisement

MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #32
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
Are you a doula or a midwife?
Birth doula

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #33
MarineGurl020412
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
I think, once you have delivered a 10lb baby, you may look at induction a little different.
What do you mean by look at it differently?

Just curious since I have a somewhat biased opinion in that my girls were 9lbs4oz, 9lbs12oz, and the newbie was 10lbs1oz. All three of my labors were fairly quick. DD1 was a total of 12 hours from first contractions to delivery and only about 30minutes of pushing (I arrived at 4cm). DD2 was a total of about 4 hours from first contractions to delivery and about 20 minutes of pushing (I arrived at 6cm). DD3 (the largest) was 3 hours from first contractions to delivery with 5 minutes of pushing (I arrived fully dialated and delivered 20 minutes later).

I know that I have mush more ideal situations than most but I have NEVER considered in induction, even with my oldest who they thought would be well over 10lbs and they were urging little ignorant me to induce because of size. I say ignorant because I didn't know any of the dangers of inducing at that time and they certainly didn't tell me.

"Your intuition is a better guide than everyone else's opinion of how you should do it."
MarineGurl020412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #34
6 for Sarah
Registered Users
seller

my newest dd was born 4 weeks ago and weighed 10 pounds 5 ounces. She had a posterior placenta and she was also posterior, my first posterior baby. I delivered her vaginally without so much as a skid mark. Labor was 4.5 hours start to finish.

I was measuring according to weeks until 34 weeks, when I suddelny measured 38 weeks. At a 36 week u/s she was estimated to weigh 7.5 pounds already and all measurements were 38-40 weeks. I had previously delivered a 9 pound baby at 38.4 weeks so they were not too concerned. I had also never in 6 pregnancies made it to my due date nor been induced.

I made it to 40 weeks this time and knew this baby was BIG...I outgrew my maternity clothes!! Seriously, I could not wear my maternity jeans, only my overalls and they were tight on the belly. I did not consider induction. My water broke at 40 weeks 1 day and I had horrible back labor, baby did not turn until i was pushing, which i had to push for 1.5 hours!! Never had I had to do that before. She was born vaginally with no problems. ACOG now does NOT recommend inducing just based on expecting a big baby.

My recovery this time was easy..I was up within an hour of having her and went home the next day. We hope to have more and I will not consider induction unless there is a medical reason for it, not another suspected big baby.
6 for Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #35
pieceofjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS was 10 lbs 1 oz when he was born and I never measured big! I was always, always average. So I'd say, nope, not accurate!
pieceofjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #36
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have to LOL at the accuracy of ultrasounds. For my younger three kids they were TO THE OUNCE spot on the day of delivery. For my oldest? At 38w they estimated her to be 9.5-10lbs. She was breech, stuck, wouldn't turn no matter how hard we tried (and MAN we tried and it hurt), so we went with the c/s. When they pulled out a 6lb 6oz baby the entire staff was FLOORED. Now, she was 23in long (that's why she was stuck, too long to be nudged in any direction) but not even close to 9lbs! I measured ahead the entire time, they thought she was going to be enormous. Nope. Just long and skinny. Looking back, I probably could have delivered her breech.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #37
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFourStars View Post
I have to LOL at the accuracy of ultrasounds. For my younger three kids they were TO THE OUNCE spot on the day of delivery. For my oldest? At 38w they estimated her to be 9.5-10lbs. She was breech, stuck, wouldn't turn no matter how hard we tried (and MAN we tried and it hurt), so we went with the c/s. When they pulled out a 6lb 6oz baby the entire staff was FLOORED. Now, she was 23in long (that's why she was stuck, too long to be nudged in any direction) but not even close to 9lbs! I measured ahead the entire time, they thought she was going to be enormous. Nope. Just long and skinny. Looking back, I probably could have delivered her breech.
Was it the same doctor/midwife doing the u/s every time?
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #38
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

No, we moved to IL for my yds, so I guess that's more of a coincidence? But same docs and techs for the other three. From what I gathered, because certain measurements of hers were so high (femur length, head circ) it threw everything off in their "formula".

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #39
cotopaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With both so far I have always measured small after 30 weeks, but they've been average size by u/s and actual birthweight.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #40
mommy2twins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
So it sounds like fundal height isn't necessarily a good indicator of baby size. Which was what I was thinking...it didn't make sense to me that my OB would think this baby would be smaller...I personally would anticipate him to be about the same size DS was. So far, all of my kids have gotten progressively fatter and longer: DD1 was 7.5 pounds, 19 inches, DD2 was 8 pounds, 20 inches, and DS was 9 pounds, 21.5 inches - and each one got progressively earlier - DD1 was born 5 days early, DD2 was born 9 days early, and DS was born 15 days early.

Neither DH nor I are "small" people - he's 6'3" and I'm 6'. All of the boys on both sides of the family going back at least 3 generations have been in the 9 pound range. So unless this little man decides to make an appearance at say 36 weeks, I personally would be surprised if he wasn't close to 9 pounds.

Besides the actual weight, all of my kids have had 90th percentile or greater head circs at birth. DD1's was so out of proportion (because her other measurements were pretty much 50th percentile) that they were worried that she had water on the brain. DD2's was also 90th percentile. DS's was off the top of the charts, and even as of his 18 month appointment he was in like the 105th percentile.

My other concern is this baby is also laying "sunny side up" - so his spine is to my spine right now. DS1 was the opposite - he always had his butt in my belly button. This guy all I get is feet and knees. My OB thinks it is likely he'll turn before I go into labor...however DD1 also had the anterior placenta and she ended up being born facing my left hip. It was a horrible labor with her - I had attempted to go natural and then labor stalled out at 9 cm. I had no break from contractions - they were right on top of one another - as soon as one ended another one began. I ended up getting an epidural. My other two were inductions - one for cord concerns and DS was for size. Again an epidural for both - the first one I was peeved about having an induction, so opted to get the epidural as soon as they knew the pitocin was working, and the second I attempted to go without but the pitocin was too much for me to handle. Which, as I'm sure you know, having an epidural limits your birthing options/positions - so combine that with big babies, bigger heads, and my narrower pelvis and we end up with the risk of baby getting stuck somewhere.

When it comes down to it (and I hope I don't get flamed for this, see my siggy for my disclaimer!) I'd much rather be induced at 38 weeks with a 9 pounder that I know I can birth than go into labor on my own at 40 with a 10 pounder that I end up having to have a c/s for. I don't want major surgery! Not to mention the recovery period worries me - I know some women bounce right back but then I've heard others where it took a full 4-6 weeks to recover and they couldn't even climb stairs it was too painful. Well, I live in a 3rd floor walkup and will have 3 other kids plus the newborn and no help (DH doesn't get paid vacation so will go back to work right away and we don't have family here) so I can't "take it easy" and hang out on the couch.

I see my OB again in another 2 weeks (I'll be 33 weeks then) so I think I'll try to get him to schedule me for another u/s if only to put my mind at ease.

My Hypnobabies study guide says that swimming the belly down the breast stroke while keeping your legs and feet straight instead of "frog legs" help to turn a posterior baby. Also avoid reclining in the car or at home in a recliner. Making sure not to keep your legs and feet elevated. Also says, sleeping on your tummy, using lots of pillows and cushions for support and also maybe an egg carton pad too. IT says try crawling around the carpet (ground) for 30 minutes.

HTH Mama!
AprilSAHM to my fab twin girls (3/07)Maddison and Cameryn Grace , and Samuel born 1/10 by an amazing waterbirth using hypnobabies, Zander born 3/12 a beautiful home water birth using Hypnobabies both fully intact non vaxing,ing, , and wife to my awesome high school sweet heart of 12 years
***HYPNOBABIES CHILDBIRTH HYPNOSIS INSTRUCTOR- St. Louis, MO!***
mommy2twins is offline   Reply With Quote