Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Red face more zorb questions...

i serged up some soakers for dd with suedecloth top, 2 layers of zorb, and 1 layer of bamboo fleece but they didn't perform like i expected...they did fine for a long trip in the car, but couldn't handle a nap doubled up. the inserts were soaked and the front of dd's clothes were soaked

they've been washed once, but will they get more absorbent over time? i was under the impression that it didn't need to be 'prepped'...it's pretty fluffy stuff so i don't think i could do more than 2 layers, especially since my serger didn't even want to do that.

am i missing something? i don't understand why they're not working as well as i've read

(FYI: she usually naps in a bg with both inserts and they're pretty wet, but not soaked and can go overnight in that as well)

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
AH1OZ
Registered Users

Re: more zorb questions...

i did some testing with mine..

i made a soaker that was 2 layers of zorb encased in cotton flannel.

i put 1/2 cup of water in a bowl and put the soaker in. it soaked up the water in seconds with very little dripping when i picked it up.

i hadnt pre washed anything prior to the test - freshly made

edited to add: I just tried it with a cup of water and it soaked it all up but dripped when i picked it up out of the bowl

Last edited by AH1OZ; 11-30-2009 at 11:32 AM.
AH1OZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH1OZ View Post
i did some testing with mine..

i made a soaker that was 2 layers of zorb encased in cotton flannel.

i put 1/2 cup of water in a bowl and put the soaker in. it soaked up the water in seconds with very little dripping when i picked it up.

i hadnt pre washed anything prior to the test - freshly made
i tested it before i used it too and it definitely soaked up quickly and seemed to be pretty absorbent...that's why i'm so confused. it soaked up fine because the soakers were drenched, but didn't hold enough i guess

Old 11-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Charitys*Creations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Add a Hemp insert behind it. Zorb has a squish factor. If you add a hemp insert behind it the hemp will absorb the leaks from the zorb.
Charitys*Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
sbfrankie
Registered Users
seller

You may also want to completely enclose the Zorb in another absorbant material. So maybe do suedecloth/bamboo/Zorb/bamboo or similar. My serger just about croaked when I tried to do an insert of two layers of Zorb in between a total of 3 layers of bamboo so unless you have an awesome maching you might consider just doubling up on your inserts like you've been doing. I just think you need to surround the Zorb in something absorbant to combat the squish factor, esp. if your daughter is a tummy sleeper. HTH
sbfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What they said. But it does get more absorbent with more washing too!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
amehrkens
Registered Users
seller

I have two layers of Zorb sandwiched between a layer of flannel and my LO can go all night with no diaper change. I have noticed that after about 4 washes they became mopre absorbant. Good luck, I hope they work for you, I really like mine!
amehrkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charitys*Creations View Post
Add a Hemp insert behind it. Zorb has a squish factor. If you add a hemp insert behind it the hemp will absorb the leaks from the zorb.
i'm trying to stay away from hemp and microfiber because we have really hard water and stuff gets stinky REALLY easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfrankie View Post
You may also want to completely enclose the Zorb in another absorbant material. So maybe do suedecloth/bamboo/Zorb/bamboo or similar. My serger just about croaked when I tried to do an insert of two layers of Zorb in between a total of 3 layers of bamboo so unless you have an awesome maching you might consider just doubling up on your inserts like you've been doing. I just think you need to surround the Zorb in something absorbant to combat the squish factor, esp. if your daughter is a tummy sleeper. HTH
the only thing is that i need the zorb to soak up as quick as it does so putting a layer of something else absorbent on top of it would hinder that i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
What they said. But it does get more absorbent with more washing too!
oh good, i was hoping so!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

You know I am finding that I don't love my zorb inserts I made... I always get leaks out of my pockets now, which I NEVER did before. It seems like the zorb doesn't soak the moisture up through the length of the insert, it just soaks exactly where the pee goes (does that make sense?) and stays there and gets completely soaked, even though the entire back 2/3 is dry. Even when I sandwhich it between 2 layers bamboo fleece I have this problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
amehrkens
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by petuniajo View Post
You know I am finding that I don't love my zorb inserts I made... I always get leaks out of my pockets now, which I NEVER did before. It seems like the zorb doesn't soak the moisture up through the length of the insert, it just soaks exactly where the pee goes (does that make sense?) and stays there and gets completely soaked, even though the entire back 2/3 is dry. Even when I sandwhich it between 2 layers bamboo fleece I have this problem.
I would say mine are completely opposite. This is interesting. I can't believe how many takes there are on the Zorb!
amehrkens is offline   Reply With Quote