Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
How early would you give your dc whole milk??

I have a 9.5 month old dd that is bf and she is eating solid and will drink from a sippy. I am 17 weeks pg and my milk is disappearing. When I was at the dr a couple of weeks ago, I asked him about her fluid intake and what to do if I felt she wasn't getting enough--he said to go ahead and put her on whole milk. I asked him about her being so young and milk allergies etc and he said he often switches at this age with no problems. (We have no allergies in my family.) We are pretty new with this dr, but I do trust him. I really am not sure I want to put her on formula, but am not sure if the whole milk is the right thing to do. If you were to suggest formula-which one would you use??

What would you do in my situation?? I think she is getting enough fluids, she just always wants to nurse and winds up biting me when there isn't the flow of milk there that she is used to.

Thank you for any thoughts!!

Advertisement

nicolehedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
thehorndoctor
Registered Users
seller

Re: How early would you give your dc whole milk??

I don't trust any doctor with the milk thing. I always start slow on the transistion. I would start with a soy base milk or a lact. base. I started with whole and it was to thick for my children and they didn't like.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i personally don't start it at all until 1 year, and when i do (this is just me personally again) i start it SUPER SLOW, like .5 to 1 oz at a time mixed with formula. i recommend good start formula (but i know there's a bunch of moms on here who boycott nestle lol), but there is a walmart version of it now called gentle ease i think . but i would go ahead and do formula. i've actually heard that until 1 year the bulk of their diet should still be breastmilk or formula. i too, do not trust lots of dr's with the milk thing.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our dr said at 9 months we could give dd a little whole milk as long as it was less then 2-3 oz a day. Around 11 mo I think we could bump it up closer to 5 oz or something like that I don't remember. I couldn't pump enough milk to make her a little cereal for breakfast and for her to drink a few sips of milk at meals. So I gave her whole milk (maybe 1/2 oz) with meals and used it to make her cereal in the morning. DD did fine with that. Our pedi just said to start our really small and be slow to build up to very much milk - whether they're a year or not. I drink a ton of milk so he said dd would probably do fine with milk but told me everything to watch out for. That is what we did but given the choice I would have kept pumping milk for meals longer but I couldn't get anything out anymore after she was done nursing. (maybe 1/2 oz in 20 min.)
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if I would give it to DS that young, personally. What are other alternatives (if you don't want to use formula)?

DS actually had his first taste of whole milk tonight a week shy of his first birthday, he liked it.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about powdered goats milk? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I hear that's a better option than cow's milk. I'm just now looking into it for my DS so I don't know much about it yet!
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

I wouldn't put a child on whole milk that early. Isn't it recommended to stay away from milk until 1 year?

What is her solids intake like? Honestly if it was me, I would use formula over whole milk, esp if the child was still primarily BF. But maybe that's because I'm not a boob nazi. :P

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm... while I'm not sure I would do it myself, I've heard of many children going on whole milk that early without any issues at all. You might do half and half (formula and whole milk) for a while to make sure she can tolerate it okay.

I would get a formula without DHA & ARA. I know they are beneficial, but my son is allergic, kind of... he got HORRIBLE gas and tummy aches and would scream and scream. We switched to the Goodstart Supreme with out it (the purple can) and he's done very well.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Oh-you momma's are so helpful!! I have given her a few sips of ds milk out of his sippy and she seems to like it--however it does worry me to give her too much! She eats anything I offer her and does like to drink watered down juice. I may try some of the formula you recommended and see how she does.
Thanks so much for your thoughts!!
nicolehedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 PM   #10
Missah78
Banned
seller

My Mood:

The reason they say no whole milk until 1 is because it can cause anemia. At 1 milk consumption goes down to 3 glasses a day...

That being said, I would do organic or some other type of milk..babies don't need all the hormones and crap that are in regular milk!
Missah78 is offline   Reply With Quote