Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
lilymama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: dinosaur sewing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
Thats how it works. At least from my memory thats what I saw happening.
Surprisingly, they are getting popular again, mostly because they *don't* require electricity. If you live in an area where you lose power a lot, or want to be a bit more green, I can see a treadle or handcrank (which is more portable) being a nice solution.

You might like to see some examples of the quilting that can be done on a treadle. Really very nice: http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/no...ewmachine.html . Did I mention how beautiful those machines are?

Advertisement

lilymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilymama View Post
Surprisingly, they are getting popular again, mostly because they *don't* require electricity. If you live in an area where you lose power a lot, or want to be a bit more green, I can see a treadle or handcrank (which is more portable) being a nice solution.

You might like to see some examples of the quilting that can be done on a treadle. Really very nice: http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/no...ewmachine.html . Did I mention how beautiful those machines are?
I loooooove my great-g-mas machine!!!! Its all black and in very good condition.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 AM   #13
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

Arguably, I have too many sewing machines perhaps, however today while working on custom orders I used a treadle sewing machine, an industrial electric "sew through anything" machine and two separate handcrank machines! They are all good for different things.

I like the treadle because it is very strong but goes slower than the industrial. The industrial machine makes very quick work of long straight seams, one of the handcranks is set up solely for sewing on buttons and the other handcrank was perfect for taking in the car and using on my knee to finish off some fiddly work while I waited for one of my daughters at gymnastics!

OP - do try to track down a manual for the dinosaur machine - it seems that the older the machine, the more reliable they tend to be.

Regards
Marnie - who knows people with many more sewing machines than myself, so it must be all right... LOL
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
BlueOrange
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooneeWilga View Post
Arguably, I have too many sewing machines perhaps, however today while working on custom orders I used a treadle sewing machine, an industrial electric "sew through anything" machine and two separate handcrank machines! They are all good for different things.

I like the treadle because it is very strong but goes slower than the industrial. The industrial machine makes very quick work of long straight seams, one of the handcranks is set up solely for sewing on buttons and the other handcrank was perfect for taking in the car and using on my knee to finish off some fiddly work while I waited for one of my daughters at gymnastics!

OP - do try to track down a manual for the dinosaur machine - it seems that the older the machine, the more reliable they tend to be.

Regards
Marnie - who knows people with many more sewing machines than myself, so it must be all right... LOL

NO such thing as too many machines!!

I knew someone who had at least 50 machines!

http://www.TheBlueOrange.etsy.com
BlueOrange is offline   Reply With Quote