Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Users
our favorite longies

is a weird mishmash of a few patterns, just thought I'd share. My mom and I have been knitting a bunch and she ended up combining several patterns into what I think is the best one for DS! (just fits him great, anyway)

since he's in a scooting/crawling stage, the first pair she made (turtle knit longies) were nice, but the tie was annoying and the legs were a bit too long which made the feeties keep slipping off. That being said, we use them ALL the time when we go outside since they have the feet and in a wrap it doesn't matter.

earlier, I had made some curly purly soakers for DS (in the summer) and those fit so awesome, she decided to do a curly purly waist w/ the rest of the turtle knit longies, and no feet, result - very easy to get on, fits great, no issues!

last, she researched some other patterns, and decided to add a gusset. So the last pair she made:

she had to reduce down for the legs a bit since they end up wider w/ the pickups from the gusset.

and then I used the same pattern mishmash but didn't reduce down for the legs so they are more like a wide-leg version of the pair above. The leggings style is really great though for where DS is at now w/ locomotion. The wide-legs just look way cuter

anyway. Annoyingly, the turtle knits pattern isn't free (curlypurly is) so I can't post the whole thing here I guess - but if you have that pattern its a nice combo! Adding the gusset isn't too hard either - I think I can post that here since my mom made it up! It is similar to a few I've seen online though (I think pimp my longies, maybe?) this is right before you divide for the legs.

To make the gusset:
Knit to one stitch before the front marker. Increase one stitch. (then knit that stitch before the marker as well) Slip the
marker. Increase one stitch. Knit around to one stitch before the beginning
of the round marker. Increase one stitch, slip the marker, increase one
stitch. Knit one round plain.

Do this three times, so you have increased 6 stitches front and back.
These stitches will be grafted along with 2 from the body to form the
gusset (8 stitches from the front, 8 stitches from the back.)

On this last round of plain knit, place 4 stitches from the back after the
marker on a stitch holder.

Knit to 4 before the center front marker. Place the next 8 stitches on
another stitch holder.

Knit to the last 4 stitches on the needles, and place these on the first
stitch holder.

Kitchener stitch the 8 front and back stitches. Be sure to leave a long
tail so you can tighten everything up later.

then go on and do the legs - reduce down to get the leggings effect in the first few rows though. (since you probably picked up 3-4 stitches on each side, maybe k2tog a few times to get back down to the turtleknits leg size)

anyway. I just thought I'd share. the curlypurly soaker is *awesome* and as the waist of longies its great - it'll last a while since it can be folded over less as he gets bigger, etc. It also has 3 short rows which make the fit so much better! Ill have to post a pic of my wide leg ones too, they turned out really cute on DS. And Ill try and get some pics of them on him! they really fit so great.

seamarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: our favorite longies

Those are super cute! Thx so much!
Mommyplunder is offline   Reply With Quote