Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: children and cellphones?

Hmmm - I would make the decision based on the kid, not the item. Some kids can handle the responsibility, others will get carried away very quickly. It's important to set your kid up for a win - if you think your dc is old enough to handle it at 10, or 13, or 16, then that is the decision. Noone else gets to be their parent, or make that decision.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Depends on what phone. My children will not own an actual cell phone until they are AT LEAST 16. Once you've started driving, you are allowed to have a phone in case you break down.

However, starting maybe around 10 or so, IF my children ever had a reason to be without me (lol), I would consider the phones that can only call 911 or the pre-programmed phone numbers.

They will NEVER have one to just use whenever they want for whatever they want until they have a job and can pay for it. Just like they'll probably never have a phone in their bedroom.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
Mel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well Joshua got a cell phone this past November for his birthday. He turned 10. Obviously I have no problem with it. We did get him a Firefly. He can only call the numbers that I program into the phone and those are the only numbers that can call him. I LOVE him having a cell phone. I'm sorry but when I was growing up was a lot different of a time than him today. I worry about him a lot more than my Mom had to worry about me. I like to be able to get ahold of him.

Oh and he is added to our plan. For $10 per month it was cheaper than getting him a prepaid. Plus with the Firefly he can only call the numbers I say so I like that option better for a kid.

I also have to add that I agree with pp that it depends on the kid. Joshua is very responsible and I trust him with a phone.

Last edited by Mel; 01-21-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
rizomomof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is GREAT!! My DD is 11 and got her own cell for her 11 birtday but the yr before we gave her my Dh to see how she would use it like not running the mins up and all that she does great !! and we she is gon we know all we have to do is call
rizomomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allye View Post
Do you agree or disagree to this? And I don't mean giving a kid a cellphone with a plan?
We bought my 13 year old a cellphone for his birthday, and its prepaid. He knows that once his time runs out , he has to buy his own time. But we have received flack for this because of his age , etc... But we thought it would be a good idea to keep tabs on him, etc...

But what do you think about this?

I think it's a great idea. Good for you! Your son needs to know you care about what he's upto and that your involved. Don't listen to other people. You do what's best for your family. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #16
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My daughter's friends had cell phones in second grade. She's in fourth grade now and most have cell phones. She doesn't; there isn't a need yet. Once she is in extra cirricular activities without me present, then we will probably get her one. For now she is only in gymnastics and I watch her at every practice.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #17
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I am sorry but the whole brain damage thing is nuts, why would just kids get brain damage from cell phones? Post links to facts before making comments like that. I am not picking on you just a though is all.

IMO if and when Noah is old enough to go to his friends houses by himself I will be giving him a cell phone to take with him. Because we don't have a home phone and like many ppl I would just assume that the friends parents don't either.

I don't intend for my kids to be on the phone more then they need to anyway. Believe it or not I am not a phone person anyway and I suspect my kids won't be either, just a guess.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I think the cell phones that can only be used to call home, 911, and maybe Mom and Dad's phones are fine. I don't think kids need a plan with a ton of minutes, text messaging, etc. In fact, I don't think most people need cell phones, either. I get so sick of idiot drivers on their phones! HANG UP AND DRIVE!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
mama23boys
Banned
seller

my sds (9 almost 10) and ds (11 almost 12) both want one but they dont ever go anywhere without us so it seems pointless to us.

but if they do out a lot without us then i would probably consider a prepaid one with the GPS on it.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
jen317
Registered Users
seller

Our 9 year old daughter has a cell. It was a Christmas gift. I know she doesn't use the regular phone much so it was more for fun. We got her one that plays music and has a camera, so she spends most of her time playing with those parts of it. It is a virgin mobile pay per minute and she used all her first 3 months money buying games. I used to be against kids having cells, but now I figure it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. She is a good kid and and I have to trust in the job I have done teaching her responsibility. I think you did a good thing if it feels right to you, you are the mom.