Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #21
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: children and cellphones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie View Post
I am sorry but the whole brain damage thing is nuts, why would just kids get brain damage from cell phones? Post links to facts before making comments like that. I am not picking on you just a though is all.

IMO if and when Noah is old enough to go to his friends houses by himself I will be giving him a cell phone to take with him. Because we don't have a home phone and like many ppl I would just assume that the friends parents don't either.

I don't intend for my kids to be on the phone more then they need to anyway. Believe it or not I am not a phone person anyway and I suspect my kids won't be either, just a guess.
Ask and ye shall receive, Times Article There are many more, but I figure it's a start.

In the UK they have lists with radiation levels on each mobile phone. So you can choose one with the least, I notice a bigger headache when I use one with more radiation, so I know there is a link.

The article has links to studies.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #22
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooCrew10 View Post
IMO it's just another thing that kids think they deserve to have rather than using it for an emergency. I see so many of my children's peers with cell phones, calling all over, the parents really don't have a clue what is going on and who they are calling. Computers, Ipods, Gameboys, PS1-2-3, etc, the list goes on. Children now days have way too much stuff, and most of the time don't appreciate what they have and what it takes to get those nice computerized, electric toys. I had to laugh at my step-son who at 18 had a reality check when it came to getting his car legal and paying for insurance/transfer fees. We gave him a vehicle but told him that it was up to him to get all that done otherwise the vehicle remained ours with our rules. It's still ours, he doesn't have the money because he didn't understand how much it actually costs to own and maintain a vehicle.

My kids won't need a phone unless both my DH and I go to work full time, which I hope won't happen as I prefer to be at home. They won't be anywhere I won't know where they are OR where they can't get ready access to a landline, so a cell phone is not necessary and IMO an extravagance (not meaning to sound argumentative, just opinionated, lol).
yep that is how i feel too
ohita to tara's reply. here in miami everyone is glued to the frikcing phone. ihate that!

Last edited by SandyG; 01-21-2007 at 06:33 PM.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #23
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:

He doesn't have any other electronic toys except for the cellphone. And he's amazing with it, he only uses it when he needs to plus the phone came with 50 dollars of airtime, so he has a long time before he has to refill it

Thanks for the responses guys!

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #24
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
I think the cell phones that can only be used to call home, 911, and maybe Mom and Dad's phones are fine. I don't think kids need a plan with a ton of minutes, text messaging, etc. In fact, I don't think most people need cell phones, either. I get so sick of idiot drivers on their phones! HANG UP AND DRIVE!
He doesn't have a plan, none of us do they are all pre paid better this way!

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #25
KatiesMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My eleven year old DS has had one since he was nine. It's more for me to keep tabs on him than for him... it's only ten dollars extra a month totally worth it so I can call him home when it's time for dinner....
KatiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #26
laniesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We haven't had a landline for 5+ years.

We decided now that the girls are older (8 & 10), that getting a 3rd line on our plan would be a good idea. The phone isn't used for talking to friends hours on end. They have Daddy and Mommy's numbers programmed in, as well as an emergency contact (neighbor), and some relatives. We use it to communicate while they are on playdates or at CampFire Kids, or anytime they are away from home. I feel better knowing that they have the option to call me at anytime without having to ask somebody else or look for a pay phone.

To each his own though. We just do what works best for our family !
laniesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #27
rainbowbrite812
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

both me and ds work FT and when the boys get older i will probably get them a cell. we don't have a landline phone here at home, and i know TONS of people that don't have them in their homes, so i find that it is a good emergency back up.

the firefly/kids phones seem great, you can get them as prepaid or use it with your plan.

i'm TOTALLY in love with the disney mobile plans. you get it as a family plan, but you can set the number of minutes for each phone...when they are out, they are out. like pre-paid, but you set it thru the group minutes rather than paying for a certain amt.

also, it has gps so that you can see dc's location, i know their is issues with that since people say if you can see, so can others, but again, it's helpful!

and you can also restrict the numbers on each phone and set it up so that they CANNOT add anyother number or call other numbers.

10% off code for Oliver's Labels, perfect for back to school! use code KBPG0808
rainbowbrite812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #28
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

we also havent had a landlines in years, I personally have 2 lines on my plan and my husbands phone is though his company ( so its free ) but it is also a cell, but my other phone stays in the house and my daughter knows how to use it for emergencies and if and when the rare occasion I have a babysitter ( but they are my cousins usually and they have cell phones of their own anyway.. they are 15 & 17 ) I figure by the time my daughter is about 10 or so plans will have changed to where her having one will be no big deal

have you seen the Disney mobile plans you can have GPS on your kids, track and limit minutes from online, and many other little perks.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #29
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Depends on what phone. My children will not own an actual cell phone until they are AT LEAST 16. Once you've started driving, you are allowed to have a phone in case you break down.

However, starting maybe around 10 or so, IF my children ever had a reason to be without me (lol), I would consider the phones that can only call 911 or the pre-programmed phone numbers.

They will NEVER have one to just use whenever they want for whatever they want until they have a job and can pay for it. Just like they'll probably never have a phone in their bedroom.
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #30
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I, personally, got my first cell phone at 12. I still have the same plan, though modified, actually.
I was involved in a lot of extracirriculars and needed a way to get in touch with my mom to tell her when to come and get me. I never went over my minutes or used the cell phone for evil or anything.

I'm with Carly- its just a phone. I'd rather my kid have one in his pocket than have to go roaming around looking for a payphone or even worse- asking a stranger to use theirs.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote