Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
sjh100
Registered Users
seller

Empty sac - medical advice please

Background: So we had an 8-week u/s and the sac was empty. The doctor doesn't sound hopeful at all and I think I'm on the same page. Nonetheless, the doctor is willing to wait a few days and look again, just to reassure me. I'm on progesterone, so I am not bleeding. I'm 36 and fairly anxious to try again (we have a 2.8 year old).

My question for you all (and I hope this is appropriate to ask): If you have miscarried, can you tell me whether you decided on a D & C or to just wait? And why?

Any experiences you're willing to share would be appreciated. You can PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks so much!

Advertisement

sjh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Empty sac - medical advice please

Sorry to hear of your loss I also had an empty sac (it was a blighted ovum pregnancy). I was scheduled for a D&C but I started to M/C on my own the morning of my appointment. My water had broken on it's own and I started passing huge clots (which turned out to be the placenta). I would have been 13 weeks along. I no indications that anything was wrong with my pregnancy so when I went in for an U/S I was in a bit of shock. I ended up going to my doctor's office instead of the surgery center and had her do a D&C without anesthesia there in her office because I just wanted it to be over quickly as possible. I have had a D&C before (twice before actually) so I knew what it was like. I could have done it naturally but I just wanted to get back on track asap. I stopped bleeding after a few days after I had the procedure done only because I had passed most of it on my own by the time I had gotten to my OB's office. My M/C was on April 1st. I was told to wait one cycle before TTC again. Anyhow, I got my cycle back on May 1st and found out I was pregnant on June 1st so things happened every quickly for me.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

I decided on a D&C because it had been so long since the baby had passed until they found it. I was already showing signs of infection, and my body wasn't letting go of the tissue. It was the best course of action for me, since I didn't want to risk greater infection.

L0Ri K

MAMA T0 KADE (1/07)
LEVi (09/10)!

:: & RUBY ♥ ::
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i am with Lori-6 weeks had passed and wasn't even spotting...with my second though i chose a d&c the day after the babies heart stopped...i just wanted the nightmare over with. Big hugs!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

with my first loss, i wanted the d&c. i had already begun spotting weeks before and it took two weeks for the baby's heart to finally stop beating...at that point, i was very distraught and just wanted it 'over with'...

i had a chemical pregnancy that ended w/ my period basically...and then another loss in which i didnt even know i was pregnant until i'd begun spotting in what i thought was the middle of my cycle, took a test on a hunch and found out i was indeed pregnant...so i just naturally passed that one too.

the only reason why i would not repeat the d&c is because it was very expensive, even with my health insurance...otherwise, i think its a good way to get to gettin' busy trying again...tho it does have a chance of doing damage to your uterus and potential future pregnancies...i think its slim, however.

so very sorry for this uncertainty. i know it is difficult.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
stefaniem
Registered Users
seller

mama, I'm sorry this is happening. The first time I got pg I had a m/c around 7 weeks. No DandC - I had been spotting since I got the pos. pg test and passed it all on my own. I went in for a followup a few days after it happened and they said there was no need for one. I agree w/becks the uncertainty is the worst.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
sjh100
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone. Your kind words help.

I think I'm leaning towards the D&C just for the expediency of it. Besides being able to try again sooner, I also just don't want it to drag out (I don't want continuing physical pain or other symptoms).

My mom wants me to wait an extra couple months for my body to reset, but the doc says I just need to have one regular cycle before trying again. Still, I find it hard to believe at this moment, that I'll be able to try again so quickly. However, people seem to say it can happen.

Anyways, this is a difficult time, but I appreciate you all helping me sort through it. Even though we are all in different places, it helps knowing that someone is listening and can empathize.

Last edited by sjh100; 12-04-2009 at 02:56 PM.
sjh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh100 View Post
Thanks everyone. Your kind words help.

I think I'm leaning towards the D&C just for the expediency of it. Besides being able to try again sooner, I also just don't want it to drag out (I don't want continuing physical pain or other symptoms).

My mom wants me to wait an extra couple months for my body to reset, but the doc says I just need to have one regular cycle before trying again. Still, I find it hard to believe at this moment, that I'll be able to try again so quickly. However, people seem to say it can happen.

Anyways, this is a difficult time, but I appreciate you all helping me sort through it. Even though we are all in different places, it helps knowing that someone is listening and can empathize.
It can cause I waited just 1 cycle after my MC and got pregnant the first month we tried. I'm now 30 weeks along with a healthy baby boy so yes, it happens. In fact you're more fertile after a MC then you are before you got pregnant the first time around because of the extra hormones your body has been producing.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Mayghan
Registered Users
seller
seller

Im so sorry your dealing with this mama.

I can't exactly answer your question but I had a d&c just over a week ago for a molar pregnancy, so I didnt have any choice but to go ahaid with it. I will say that once it was done I felt much much better. 2 days later my hormones totally crashed (not sure if you'd have that happen or not), but it just made me weepy for 2 days, hair falling out, and lost all pregnancy symptoms. Im still happy that I had it done as soon as I could so I could "move on".
Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Paulinemck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I m/c naturally at 7 weeks. All came out fine and I only waited one cycle also, then conceived our daughter. So she was born only about 11 months after the miscarriage.
Paulinemck is offline   Reply With Quote