Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Empty sac - medical advice please

I'm sorry. I had a blighted ovum and chose to have medications to take at home. I can't remember the name. I also got pain medication. I was very glad not to have a D & C as it can be damaging. I then had an ultrasound to make sure everything passed and it had. Good luck.

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
mrickmon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a miscarriage earlier this year and, like some others here have had, it was a missed miscarriage and the baby measured 7 weeks, no fetal pole, but I was 13 weeks along. I had some spotting which is why I went to the ER on a Sunday to find out what was going on. I decided not to do a D&C but took medications at home that cause your uterus to contract so you pass everything. It was painful but it all passes within 24 hours or so and then there's postpartum bleeding for a bit, of course. I was told to wait two cycles and then we could try again on the third cycle. We got pregnant again right away and this pregnancy has gone fine as did my first two. Good luck in whatever you choose!

ETA: Medicines I was given to take were Cytotec and Advil. If you google miscarriage and Cytotec you can read how this drug is used to expedite miscarriages. I was scared/worried about having a D&C and since my body wasn't really recognizing that I had lost the baby I wanted something as close as possible to naturally miscarrying.

Last edited by mrickmon; 12-08-2009 at 07:22 PM.
mrickmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
Sonoran Bloom
Registered Users

Hope you are doing well today, mama
Sonoran Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
sjh100
Registered Users
seller

So just an update: Went for one more ultrasound and it is similar to mrickmon above -- missed miscarriage/abortion. I'm 9.2 weeks, but the fetus was measuring 6.5 weeks.

I told my dr. that ideally my preference would be to try to start to miscarry on my own, just so my body could tell me what it was trying to do. And then thereafter proceed with the miscarriage/intervention as needed. It was then she told me of the option of the drugs to take at home. I didn't even know this was an option until today. She said I could wait for signs of m/c and then take the drugs to hasten the m/s (background: since I'm taking progesterone, she said once I stopped with it, I could expect the spotting/bleeding to begin.)

It sounds like the best way to go for now. If I don't fully miscarry after a week, she said we could go ahead with the d&c. For my personality, I generally like things final and resolved, so it will be a little hard to wait for the m/c to start. But I have faith that my body will do what it needs to do.

Thanks for your input and thoughts/prayers! Sometimes I find it hard to get on the boards because I tend to be a private person and since I'm older, I feel like I have different struggles than some others on here, but it helps to have you all there when I need it. Thanks so much!

Last edited by sjh100; 12-10-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Typos
sjh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had an empty sac with my 1st pregnancy and I waited it out. I m/c in my 8th week.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote