Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
HaleysMommy's Avatar
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,068
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

I'm nursing after a reduction so I'm prone to low supply. I take herbs and lots of them!

Fenugreek, 610mg capsules, 4x4
Blessed Thistle, 480mg caps, 4x4
Marshmallow Root, 340mg caps, 2x4
Barley Grass, 500mg tabs, 5x3

Fenugreek is the most widely used and you'll know you're using enough when your armpits smell like maple syrup. Blessed thistle works best with fenugreek and marshmallow root enhances the effect of the fenugreek and blessed thistle.

I personally like the effects of barley grass but it's not regarded as a traditional galactagogue.

Other things to try:
alfalfa
nettle leaf
fennel (cycling one week on, one week off)
goat's rue

Have you tried Shatavari? It's an herbal supplement that is similar to domperidone. Have you tried domperidone to up your supply?? You can takeup to 160mg with 90mg being the minimum dose to see effects. Takes awhile to get the full effects of the domperidone (up to 6 weeks). Fenugreek is almost immediate (as in I felt my breasts tingling/aching within an hour or so of my first dose).

I have a recipe for lactation cookies that utilizes oats and brewer's yeast. They're really yummy!

Drink lots of water, pump pump pump, and really look into galactagogues.

Have you read Diana West's "Making more Milk" book? Imperative to anyone with low supply. GL!!

Advertisement

__________________
Stacey --SAHM to H 3/07 A 11/09 R 12/12
BFAR'd 32 months, 32months, BFARing now!
Hand Stamped Jewelry, Mama Necklaces, Babys First Xmas, and More -- HARLEYStripes on Etsy
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
HaleysMommy's Avatar
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,068
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

Just saw the updated posts about what you've done.

How much fenugreek were you taking?

Is your daughter getting formula from a bottle? I'd suggest getting a Medela SNS or a Lact-Aid so she can get her supplement at the breast. The more stimulation your breasts get the better for your milk supply!!.

Also, does she nurse first then get the supplement or supplement then breast?
__________________
Stacey --SAHM to H 3/07 A 11/09 R 12/12
BFAR'd 32 months, 32months, BFARing now!
Hand Stamped Jewelry, Mama Necklaces, Babys First Xmas, and More -- HARLEYStripes on Etsy
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
XtraOrdinary's Avatar
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,258
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleysMommy View Post
I'm nursing after a reduction so I'm prone to low supply. I take herbs and lots of them!

Fenugreek, 610mg capsules, 4x4
Blessed Thistle, 480mg caps, 4x4
Marshmallow Root, 340mg caps, 2x4
Barley Grass, 500mg tabs, 5x3

Fenugreek is the most widely used and you'll know you're using enough when your armpits smell like maple syrup. Blessed thistle works best with fenugreek and marshmallow root enhances the effect of the fenugreek and blessed thistle.

I personally like the effects of barley grass but it's not regarded as a traditional galactagogue.

Other things to try:
alfalfa
nettle leaf
fennel (cycling one week on, one week off)
goat's rue

Have you tried Shatavari? It's an herbal supplement that is similar to domperidone. Have you tried domperidone to up your supply?? You can takeup to 160mg with 90mg being the minimum dose to see effects. Takes awhile to get the full effects of the domperidone (up to 6 weeks). Fenugreek is almost immediate (as in I felt my breasts tingling/aching within an hour or so of my first dose).

I have a recipe for lactation cookies that utilizes oats and brewer's yeast. They're really yummy!

Drink lots of water, pump pump pump, and really look into galactagogues.

Have you read Diana West's "Making more Milk" book? Imperative to anyone with low supply. GL!!
Wow thanks!!

I am scared to try the domperidone b/c I hear it can cause depression and lawd knows thats the LAST thing I need. I have never heard of Shatavari but I am willing to try it.
__________________
"The government has the media under its thumb and this enables it to sway the emotions of the masses". ~ Albert Einstein

Last edited by XtraOrdinary; 12-06-2009 at 09:24 AM.
XtraOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
XtraOrdinary's Avatar
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,258
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleysMommy View Post
Just saw the updated posts about what you've done.

How much fenugreek were you taking?

Is your daughter getting formula from a bottle? I'd suggest getting a Medela SNS or a Lact-Aid so she can get her supplement at the breast. The more stimulation your breasts get the better for your milk supply!!.

Also, does she nurse first then get the supplement or supplement then breast?
I take 10 610 mcg pills a day. I nurse then supplement. Ive neve heard of the Lactaid either. There may be hope yet!
__________________
"The government has the media under its thumb and this enables it to sway the emotions of the masses". ~ Albert Einstein
XtraOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
HaleysMommy's Avatar
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,068
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

I was on an antidepressant and domperidone at thesame time. I can't say it made things any worse for me and i certainly didn't notice a change when i went off it after 14 months. I did gain some weight though

Shatavari
www.lowmilksupply.org is the sister site of bfar.org (post reduction site). There are forums you can join for assistance, too!

Where to get Shatavari (best price we've found).
__________________
Stacey --SAHM to H 3/07 A 11/09 R 12/12
BFAR'd 32 months, 32months, BFARing now!
Hand Stamped Jewelry, Mama Necklaces, Babys First Xmas, and More -- HARLEYStripes on Etsy
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
vickieboggs's Avatar
vickieboggs
Registered
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 6,321
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

motillium/domperidone......I had to go on this when I would pump all day long and get 2-3 oz max within a week I had increased a lot and about a month later I had 200 oz in my freezer.

I was 12 pills a day 10mg each.
__________________
Momma to 2 wonderful kids Kaylee and Tyler and wifey to Cory.
Priced to clear diapers FSOTcheap covers FSOT

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
HaleysMommy's Avatar
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,068
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
I take 10 610 mcg pills a day. I nurse then supplement. Ive neve heard of the Lactaid either. There may be hope yet!
There is absolutely hope!! The Lact-aid is the greatest invention ever. A little tricky to use at first but it soon becomes like second nature. It's truley a nursing TRAINER too, so it will help give your daughter energy she needs and help her learn to suck better at the breast. I used mine with DD1 from 2-7 weeks when I realized she was barely taking 1oz of formula in 24 hours. I was also on 160mg domperidone, fenugreek, blessed thistle, marshmallow, goat's rue, and nettle leaf. And drinking Mother's Mlk Tea. It was a nursing relationship saver and she went on to be ebf until we started solids. She weaned at 29 months when I was 6m pg with her little sister.

You can do this!! There is hope and your desire to nurse your daughter is evident.That goes a long way!
__________________
Stacey --SAHM to H 3/07 A 11/09 R 12/12
BFAR'd 32 months, 32months, BFARing now!
Hand Stamped Jewelry, Mama Necklaces, Babys First Xmas, and More -- HARLEYStripes on Etsy
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
XtraOrdinary's Avatar
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,258
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

It sounds like the domp. is the way to go in addition to everything else. Can this be ordered or do I need a script?

BTW thanks so much everybody for your help!!!
__________________
"The government has the media under its thumb and this enables it to sway the emotions of the masses". ~ Albert Einstein
XtraOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #19
Heather8183's Avatar
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,755
Re: Before I totally give up...

I haven't seen that dom causes depression...I know reglan is risky, but never heard it about dom. I'm on the dom and couldn't be happier with the results! I agree with the other suggestions, more milk plus, lots of fenugreek, blessed thistle, marshmallow root, nurse her much more often.
__________________
Heather-wife to the sexiest plumber you've ever met,
mama to H (6) K (3) and the newbies Sonia Faith and Jon David
My ISO/IHA My WAHM Wares
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
HaleysMommy's Avatar
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,068
My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
It sounds like the domp. is the way to go in addition to everything else. Can this be ordered or do I need a script?

BTW thanks so much everybody for your help!!!
www.inhousepharmacy.com

No script needed!
__________________
Stacey --SAHM to H 3/07 A 11/09 R 12/12
BFAR'd 32 months, 32months, BFARing now!
Hand Stamped Jewelry, Mama Necklaces, Babys First Xmas, and More -- HARLEYStripes on Etsy
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.