Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #21
lavagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

Hon, Reglan is known to cause depression and migranes, and it can only be taken for a short while. Domperidone has no known side effects, and is actually classified as "safer" to take while breastfeeding as compared to Reglan. It can be taken longterm. I second that...www.inhousepharmacy.com is the place to order! 120mg is generally the therapeutic dose (the dose at which studies show the best lactational response in the average population).

By the way, what indication do you have for low milk supply? When you got your baby finally on breast, did she start to lose weight? Fail to produce wet/dirty diapers? Begin to act listless and weak? Stop meeting developmental milestones? Because all of the above symptoms are indicators of failure to thrive, which is caused by a true low milk supply.

If baby is just acting REALLY fussy, but still gains well and produces adequate diapers....then I'd say you have a perfectly normal newborn that's just doing her job!!! The average newborn only has a tummy the size of her fist. Sometimes they need to eat every 1.5 hours around the clock!!! It's the name of the breastfeeding game. The more you put your baby to the breast, the more milk you'll produce. The more formula you supplement with, the less milk you'll produce. Once every 3 hours is NOT often enough for a newborn to nurse!!! The reason she's going that long in between is because the formula you're supplementing with is hard to digest, and sits in her tummy MUCH longer than breastmilk will. In turn, your breasts are receiving alot less stimulation than they should, and your body gets the signal to produce even less milk. Consider having a "nurse-in," or a few days where all you do is lay in bed (skin to skin) with your baby. Resist the urge to supplement and just nurse, nurse, nurse whenever your baby seems hungry! I know it's a scary thought, but I PROMISE your body will do what it was created to....

Also...your baby may continue to experience difficulty in latching as long as you supplement with bottles. A bottle requires a MUCH different latch than a breast does. A bottle also doesn't require nearly as strong of a suck, so bottle-supplemented infants often develop a "lazy" suck, which results in less milk being removed from the breast, and you guessed it....less milk production!

One more thought for you...Domperidone functions by increasing the prolactin levels in your brain. Ironically, prolactin is released EVERY time you nurse your baby. Whenever your baby suckles, it stimulates your 4th intercostal nerve to send the message to the brain, "release prolactin!" Prolactin is the hormone that then tells your breasts to produce more milk. Once the brain releases more prolactin, milk production is initiated. Thus, if you start putting your baby to the breast more often than every 3 hours (which you'll need to do if you cease supplementing, because the breastmilk will digest much more quickly and she'll need to feed more often...which is totally normal for a EBF baby), your body will start releasing ALOT more prolactin....and you'll produce more milk. It's simple biology, and unless there is an underlying endocrine problem or a previous breast surgery, then your body will respond!!!

By the way, how you respond to a pump is not a true indicator of your milk supply. I had a friend who couldn't pump an ounce of milk if she tried. Her initial engorgement completely subsided, and her breasts were fairly soft and flaccid. Her baby seemed horribly fussy and hungry all of the time (even though he was growing well), and her pediatrician suggested that she needed to supplement with formula because maybe her son wasn't getting enough breastmilk. Sarah was not satisfied with that answer. She sought help from her local La Leche League (which I recommmend for you!), and they hooked her up with the use of a sensitive scale to weigh her son before and after a feeding. It turns out he weighed a whole EIGHT OUNCES heavier after nursing!!!!! So much for not having enough milk!!!! In retrospect, Sarah realized that her baby was fussy because he was getting TOO much milk, TOO fast...and it was upsetting his little tummy! So much for the need to supplement!

Best of luck, and I encourage you to believe in your amazing ability to sustain your child. You can do this!

Advertisement

lavagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #22
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i hope things are looking up for you and breastfeeding is going much better! dont feel bad for nursing every 3 hours i nursed all my newborns every 3 hours from the start and havent had an issue yet~! enjoy your little one as much as possible and try not to stress about the milk supply!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #23
Hbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Abigail was born at 34 weeks, and spent 9 days in the hospital. I wasn't allowed to nurse her until she could come off the oxygen. I took reglan for 5 days and my supply was huge. I had to pump the excess for two weeks after she came home. I had no side effects personally.
Hbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #24
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagirl View Post
Hon, Reglan is known to cause depression and migranes, and it can only be taken for a short while. Domperidone has no known side effects, and is actually classified as "safer" to take while breastfeeding as compared to Reglan. It can be taken longterm. I second that...www.inhousepharmacy.com is the place to order! 120mg is generally the therapeutic dose (the dose at which studies show the best lactational response in the average population).

By the way, what indication do you have for low milk supply? When you got your baby finally on breast, did she start to lose weight? Fail to produce wet/dirty diapers? Begin to act listless and weak? Stop meeting developmental milestones? Because all of the above symptoms are indicators of failure to thrive, which is caused by a true low milk supply.

If baby is just acting REALLY fussy, but still gains well and produces adequate diapers....then I'd say you have a perfectly normal newborn that's just doing her job!!! The average newborn only has a tummy the size of her fist. Sometimes they need to eat every 1.5 hours around the clock!!! It's the name of the breastfeeding game. The more you put your baby to the breast, the more milk you'll produce. The more formula you supplement with, the less milk you'll produce. Once every 3 hours is NOT often enough for a newborn to nurse!!! The reason she's going that long in between is because the formula you're supplementing with is hard to digest, and sits in her tummy MUCH longer than breastmilk will. In turn, your breasts are receiving alot less stimulation than they should, and your body gets the signal to produce even less milk. Consider having a "nurse-in," or a few days where all you do is lay in bed (skin to skin) with your baby. Resist the urge to supplement and just nurse, nurse, nurse whenever your baby seems hungry! I know it's a scary thought, but I PROMISE your body will do what it was created to....

Also...your baby may continue to experience difficulty in latching as long as you supplement with bottles. A bottle requires a MUCH different latch than a breast does. A bottle also doesn't require nearly as strong of a suck, so bottle-supplemented infants often develop a "lazy" suck, which results in less milk being removed from the breast, and you guessed it....less milk production!

One more thought for you...Domperidone functions by increasing the prolactin levels in your brain. Ironically, prolactin is released EVERY time you nurse your baby. Whenever your baby suckles, it stimulates your 4th intercostal nerve to send the message to the brain, "release prolactin!" Prolactin is the hormone that then tells your breasts to produce more milk. Once the brain releases more prolactin, milk production is initiated. Thus, if you start putting your baby to the breast more often than every 3 hours (which you'll need to do if you cease supplementing, because the breastmilk will digest much more quickly and she'll need to feed more often...which is totally normal for a EBF baby), your body will start releasing ALOT more prolactin....and you'll produce more milk. It's simple biology, and unless there is an underlying endocrine problem or a previous breast surgery, then your body will respond!!!

By the way, how you respond to a pump is not a true indicator of your milk supply. I had a friend who couldn't pump an ounce of milk if she tried. Her initial engorgement completely subsided, and her breasts were fairly soft and flaccid. Her baby seemed horribly fussy and hungry all of the time (even though he was growing well), and her pediatrician suggested that she needed to supplement with formula because maybe her son wasn't getting enough breastmilk. Sarah was not satisfied with that answer. She sought help from her local La Leche League (which I recommmend for you!), and they hooked her up with the use of a sensitive scale to weigh her son before and after a feeding. It turns out he weighed a whole EIGHT OUNCES heavier after nursing!!!!! So much for not having enough milk!!!! In retrospect, Sarah realized that her baby was fussy because he was getting TOO much milk, TOO fast...and it was upsetting his little tummy! So much for the need to supplement!

Best of luck, and I encourage you to believe in your amazing ability to sustain your child. You can do this!
Thanks so much!

I have BF my other 3 babies with minimal problems but this is why this situation is unique for me.

This child was a preemie and spent 3 weeks in the NICU and they wouldnt let me put her to my breast until the last few days she was there. I kept asking, they kept saying no.

Meanwhile at home all I had to rely on was the pump to maintain any sort of supply and after round the clock pumping after 24 hours I would only have 2 oz at the most.

Now that shes here all I have for her in a 24 hr period is a little more than 2 oz. I put her to both breasts after an hr of us battling then she comes away screaming after shes been on for a long while. Its apparent shes hungry so I have no choice but to supp. When I do she gulps that 2 oz of formula down like shes never been fed before. I almost feel like Im in a catch 22 situation, ya know?

Last edited by XtraOrdinary; 12-06-2009 at 02:13 PM.
XtraOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #25
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I agree
I would go 2 hours not 3
Get a lactaid and supplement at the breast
Get domperidone from inhousepharmacy
The domperidone is a life saver for us
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #26
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

I looked up the drug on the site but Motilum comes up for 10 mg. Is this the right thing?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #27
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

yep you have to take a bunch of pills...lol
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #28
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know you have others at home, but is there someone that could help out for a few days.

I would take a few days, grab some movies, get a HUGE jug of water and just lay in bed nursing on and off. When I feel my supply dropping this really helps. We just lay in bed (me topless, her in a diaper...lots of skin on skin contact) and nurse for as much as we can. If I do not have anyone to watch DS, I have him come into the bed for naptime and nurse her all through her nap (an be up to 2 hours).
Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #29
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee02 View Post
I know you have others at home, but is there someone that could help out for a few days.

I would take a few days, grab some movies, get a HUGE jug of water and just lay in bed nursing on and off. When I feel my supply dropping this really helps. We just lay in bed (me topless, her in a diaper...lots of skin on skin contact) and nurse for as much as we can. If I do not have anyone to watch DS, I have him come into the bed for naptime and nurse her all through her nap (an be up to 2 hours).
No unfortunately there is no one. I couldnt even get anyone to help me with them so I could recover from my c-section.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #30
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post

Now that shes here all I have for her in a 24 hr period is a little more than 2 oz. I put her to both breasts after an hr of us battling then she comes away screaming after shes been on for a long while. Its apparent shes hungry so I have no choice but to supp. When I do she gulps that 2 oz of formula down like shes never been fed before. I almost feel like Im in a catch 22 situation, ya know?
Bottle feeding and nursing are so different. WIth the bottle the formula flows freely.
•The mouth does not need to open widely to receive milk, and the nipple does not need to be placed at the back of the mouth.
•The bottlefed baby must push his tongue forward to control the flow of milk from the nipple.
•The milking motion of the tongue seen at the breast does not appear in the bottlefed baby.
•The bottlefed baby can retrieve milk using only the lips or by "chewing" on the end of the nipple.
•Milk flow is immediate.
•There is no rhythmic pause in sucking.

Therefore the baby gulps because there is no slowing of the flow. The baby sucks, pulls in formula, swallows, and that swallow provokes another suck. Repeat. Baby seems starved but in reality just can't stop the cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
I looked up the drug on the site but Motilum comes up for 10 mg. Is this the right thing?
Yep, you have to take a whole bunch. They're really little though!
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote