Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #31
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Before I totally give up...

Wow great thread I'm gonna have to book mark it in case my supply is low again like it was with my 3rd baby.

Advertisement

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #32
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks HM!

I fought DD () and I managed to get her to feed from both breasts and no formula supplementing! I was so jazzed! Usually when she falls away and I lay hr down she screams to be re-fed but she just went to sleep. I almost OD'd on fenugreek and More Milk and the tea so maybe that did it. I also got the domp today so maybe it'll be here next week.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #33
lavagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay!!!! You go mama. Keep it up.
Hey, what kind of pump are you using? That makes ALL the difference. When my friend Felicity's son was in the NICU, she could barely pump an ounce out with the hospital grade Ameda pump they provided. I loaned my WONDERFUL Medela Pump in Style Advanced to her, and she was pumping 6 ounces of milk out within just a few hours!!!!
I myself cannot pump worth crap unless I use a Medela Pump in Style Advanced!

The Pump in Style Advanced really is the best/strongest/most effective breastpump available on the commercial market. You can get a GREAT, lightly used one on Craigslist for totally cheap. If you don't like the idea of using another person's tubing/accessories, then you can buy the replacement parts for this pump on Amazon. It would be SOOO worth it!!!

Also, what another poster said...consider getting a lact-aid at-breast supplementer from www.lact-aid.com. It is SOOO worth it!!! I used a combo of the lact-aid/domperidone with my last son, and I produced twice as much milk as I did with my 1st son (I'm a breast reduction survivor!). The lact-aid is amazing in that it is discreet, tiny, and allows your baby to feed solely at the breast WHILE receiving adequate nourishment. This provides the most lactational stimulation to your breasts, which helps your milk supply return!!!
The lact-aid was created by Jimmi (she always answers the phone when you call to order), and she was an adoptive mom that wanted to breastfeed. Even though she'd never been pregnant, within 10 weeks of breastfeeding/supplementing her adopted LO solely at the breast, her milk come in!!! Trust me, you will NOT regret it if you get the lact-aid. If anything, just call Jimmi (the number is on the website) and pick her brain about it. She is an old LLL leader. She loves to help.

Good luck mama! Keep nursing! Even if baby fights you right now, YOU are still doing the best thing for her. She just doesn't know it yet.
lavagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #34
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
Wow thanks!!

I am scared to try the domperidone b/c I hear it can cause depression and lawd knows thats the LAST thing I need. I have never heard of Shatavari but I am willing to try it.
Dom is not nearly as bad as Reglan, as far as side effects go. I was in the throws of severe PPD, nearing PP psychosis, and I took Dom. I did fine without any worsening depression, but I realize that may not be the case for everybody. If I remember correctly, Hale recommends Dom over Reglan, as well, but don't quote me on that one, as it's been awhile since I looked it up.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #35
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Now that shes here all I have for her in a 24 hr period is a little more than 2 oz. I put her to both breasts after an hr of us battling then she comes away screaming after shes been on for a long while. Its apparent shes hungry so I have no choice but to supp. When I do she gulps that 2 oz of formula down like shes never been fed before. I almost feel like Im in a catch 22 situation, ya know?
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but babies appear to guzzle down formula like their starving because they have no other choice. That's the way bottles are made, even slow-flow nipples. I'm not finding it right now, but I know I've read an article that explains why it happens.

ETA: this is not the one I was looking for, but it covers it: http://bfandsupplementing.blogspot.c...ed-bottle.html

Last edited by amandabarugh; 12-07-2009 at 12:48 AM.
amandabarugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #36
parkers_mom
8/14 File with paypal if waiting on items!

My Mood:

Sounds like you are making progress, which is so wonderful!!!

I tried everything under the sun it seemed with DS. My supply went from bad to next to nothing at one point and the main thing that saved me was my Medela SNS (as pp mentioned Lact-Aid is another brand of a supplemental nursing system that is also wonderful). I had to supplement with formula, esp. when my supply went so low, but using the SNS kept it so that I was able to supplement and stimulate more milk production at the same time. It is a bit more work when you get ready to feed your baby, but you get used to it and hopefully will get to the point you don't need it any longer.

I also tried the Domp. with no problems and I do have a history of depression. I really feel it did help but of course by that point I was taking every herb, drinking every tea, and eating everything I knew to help up my supply so it was hard to tell exactly how much the Domp. helped.

Good Luck mama! I hope things get better and your supply increases soon!!!

Last edited by parkers_mom; 12-07-2009 at 01:31 AM.
parkers_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #37
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have the Medela Pump in Style pump and I just cant get much out!!! I think its just me.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #38
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee02 View Post
I know you have others at home, but is there someone that could help out for a few days.

I would take a few days, grab some movies, get a HUGE jug of water and just lay in bed nursing on and off. When I feel my supply dropping this really helps. We just lay in bed (me topless, her in a diaper...lots of skin on skin contact) and nurse for as much as we can. If I do not have anyone to watch DS, I have him come into the bed for naptime and nurse her all through her nap (an be up to 2 hours).
nak

I* recommends this too. i'm on anti-d meds too & i NEED snuggle time w my baby to make enough m,ilk.

also i know its not easy but when ur pumping have the baby right there. at first when luke was super tiny i would sit indian style to pump w him balled up in my lap in just a diaper...makes a huge difference in what i could pump. now i just need to see/hear him & sometimes i pet his belly or arms/legs while i pump.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #39
parkers_mom
8/14 File with paypal if waiting on items!

My Mood:

Quote:
I have the Medela Pump in Style pump and I just cant get much out!!! I think its just me.
Don't feel bad, I had a Medela PIS and was never able to get that much out of it either in the beginning. I used to be thrilled if I got enough to cover the bottom of the bottle. While pumps do help to kick start your body to produce more milk actual breastfeeding when possible is much better stimulation. After awhile I did get more in my pump, not sure why, maybe my body just got more used to pumping. But almost always in the beginning when I had to supplement using my SNS it was with formula.