Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Fever in a 20m old

Aidan has had a fever since Thrusday night, its been anywhere from 100-103.5 when we have taken it, usually 101.9-103 it comes down w/ motrin but doesnt go away I have been treating him (more than I like but hes so cranky and uncomfortable--very unlike him even when hes sick) plus hes congested (but it is draining, yellow)..so how long should we wait it out before calling the dr?

I really dont want to take him in (we were there last wed for his xrays for a recheck on the pneumonia) but hes not sleeping at all--we havent had a nights sleep since thrusday not even 2hrs at a time without him crying out) dh thinks I need to call 1st thing in the morning to talk to a nurse (which is unlike dh to tell me to call)
So should I call or wait?

Thanks

ETA: Can an ear infection cause a fever? (ds always has wax in his ears no matter if I clean them every day, but yesturday I noticed its more hard(crunchy) AND bad compaired to usual?

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Re: Fever in a 20m old

A phone call to the nurse certainly can't hurt to ease your mind, especially with a fever that's lasted a few days. And I want to say that he can have a fever with an ear infection (at least when I had ds' ears checked recently the dr asked if he had been running a fever). An ear inf would partly explain the frequent night waking as lying down can cause more painful pressure. Have you tried propping up part of mattress so his sinuses don't drain so much? Hope he's feeling better soon!

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If he still has a fever tomorrow, I would definately give them a call, especially if he has had pneumonia recently. His system is still probably weak from that and germs have an oppurtunity to plant themselves pretty good. Hugs, mama. I hope he'll be feeling better soon.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
Have you tried propping up part of mattress so his sinuses don't drain so much? Hope he's feeling better soon!
Yes we have been propping him up, he wont even sleep for very long on our chest w/ us sitting up, he hasn't been in his own bed for over a week now (when the cold/asthma 1st started this last time)...so hes propped up with our pillows, on us,etc and nothings working, not even the motrin/tylonal calm him down for very long)