Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #111
cooldrinkofwater
Registered Users
seller

Re: Who is STILL pregnant!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallia View Post
Went to our 40 week appt today since our doctor is off for Christmas. She insists that an induction needs to be booked between 7 and 10 days after the due date. That puts us at Jan. 1st for 7 days. I'm still hanging on to the hope that he'll be here before the new year, but if he doesn't come on his own, I really don't think a January 1st induction is the best date. The doc made it sound like I really don't have a choice in the matter though. Anyone else encounter this?
Due Friday, and my dr. scheduled an induction for next Wednesday (the 30th.) But I am happy about it. Because of my age the dr. doesn't want to risk any complications. Besides, I need to have the baby this year to get the tax deduction.

Advertisement

Loving life! as a SAHM to three happy, happy kids --DS 6 and DD 4 years old and a DD who arrived Christmas day 2009 I talk about gardening, homeschooling, and crafts on my blog http://craftycristy.blogspot.com/
cooldrinkofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #112
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kris you ALWAYS have a choice. They cannot force you into an induction. Ask if you can come in for NST's after 41 weeks, and if baby is fine there is no reason you need to induce. Also, if he still insists, just don't show up for the induction. Seriously, what can they do? They are not going to come to your house and drag you to the hospital. They can't do it if you aren't there!

Still preggo here, 41w 4d. *sigh*. This is HARD.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #113
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, they can not force you though they will try to scare you with the reasons why.

40w6days. lol though really I always considered today the end of my week. Like tonight at midnight I would be 41 weeks. Okay who is counting but yes I am just so done and ready so I think of these things.
Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #114
nevsmom06
Registered Users
seller

Kris- I ran into that same attitude with DD2. The scare tactics, the feeling like they were just planning it all for me and scheduling me up without really asking if I was OK with it :-( Don't let them bully you!! If I could go back I would NEVER have allowed them to induce me.

39 weeks 3 days here. Had an apt yesterday and the baby's head is down and fully engaged in the pelvis so at least the babe isn't floating anymore! Yay for good things right?!?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #115
Jallia
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the pep talk ladies. I think I might just stand up for myself if we make it to the induction date. I'm really hoping he'll come on his own before then, but you're right. They definitely use scare tactics. I was told my placenta will be too old if we go past 10 days and I would be putting myself and the baby at risk for complications, including c-section and possible stillbirth. Can you imagine?!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #116
Hercun
Registered Users

Ugh- scare tactics like that are ridiculous. I can understand them wanting to monitor you a bit more closely, maybe, but saying that you might be risking a stillbirth? That's insensitive and ridiculous. Make sure you do your research and you know your stuff, they can't use tactics like that if you're educated about your options.
Hercun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #117
Jallia
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Who is STILL pregnant!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercun View Post
Ugh- scare tactics like that are ridiculous. I can understand them wanting to monitor you a bit more closely, maybe, but saying that you might be risking a stillbirth? That's insensitive and ridiculous. Make sure you do your research and you know your stuff, they can't use tactics like that if you're educated about your options.
/nod I feel like going on an education campaign to inform doctors properly!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #118
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh. I guess I'm risking my child's life then . Even ACOG's official position says that you are not post-term until 42 weeks, and that only after that do the risks go up. Granted it is a good idea to do kick counts and stuff when you are over your due date, but to say those things to a mama is just bad form!

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #119
nevsmom06
Registered Users
seller

Kris- I got that too with DD2. That my placenta was *old* and the baby was going to die because of it. Want to hear the kick in the pants? My placenta was the OPPOSITE of old. In fact it was in such good shape it was far from ready to detatch well from my uterus and I ended up hemorrhaging because my m/w pulled the cord Then she had the guts to tell me I must have been wrong on my dates because my placenta was just too healthy to be a 41+ week placenta. I can't tell you how many times I told her I was charting and temping and KNEW when I ovulated so I couldn't be wrong on my dates. She just dismissed me like I had no idea what I was talking about.

Hmph.

So anyways 41+ weeks doesn't mean old dying placenta as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #120
Ilovecaseyandcoh
Registered Users
seller

Hasn't the whole 40 weeks thing been disproved and now it is 41 weeks and one day? According to Bradley book that is....
Ilovecaseyandcoh is offline   Reply With Quote