Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
fwlady's Avatar
fwlady
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 545
RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

Sorry it has been a while since I have been on here. I finally finished the cloth diapers, working on hoodies for the kids and DH, and have become addicted to knitting since I just learned how. I did post some pics of those just recently.

Well ladies, I thought I would just pass this by you all. Maybe someone will have some insight. I am praying on it. I am not sure what to do.

I am 38 wks pregnant now. I haven't gotten any place for the kids to go yet. Not saying there isn't someone, just that no one has said they wanted to take some or all of them, and I have not checked to see who was available. Now, my friend was suppose to meet me at the hotel in the city midway between our houses, when I am in very early labor. The hospital is down the street, but my labor is either false, or it goes so fast that I would never make it to the hospital in her van by the time I realized I was in labor. Don't really want her freaking out or having a baby in a van. But, the hospital won't do VBACs unless you are advanced (which is 1 hr from 4 to finish for me and we live 45 min away in good weather), and we have the agreement with the care provider that I am okay to VBAC (uh, for the 7th time). I have the care provider, but now her OB just walked out, and I have to go visit the other OB this Friday. It was an awful long wait and visit on Monday because of this fiasco. Which is fine for anyone not so far along as I am, because they can always choose another provider or hospital, or whatever. But, I don't really want to switch this late in the game. And, I think this practice is really awesome to tolerate VBACs when many don't.

Before I knew about this OB issue, I had already been worried about not having my husband available when I go into labor. What would be even worse is if there was bad weather (and that is when babies tend to come), my husband is overnight in Kentucky (they moved his routes further out and no option to stay close by until baby comes), I have 7 other children that need care and the time it takes to have ppl come pick them up, and then driving myself to the city where I plan to have the baby. If I had not had the issues I did with this pregnancy, I would just have a homebirth in the hotel down the street. But, that may still require me driving myself in early labor, if it isn't false, and I have to do it all over again because it was. KWIM? The last homebirth was a fiasco because of the PPH thing from having the lost twin, and losing another twin this time does NOT make me comfortable staying at home when it takes them 1.5 hrs to get me ambulanced to the hospital. I tried everything to get the bleeding to stop, and nothing worked, when we finally called 911.

So, from very early on, and especially during the questionable times, I have wondered if I should just schedule an induction. I know that VBACs shouldn't be, but it wouldn't take much to get me started. That way it can be scheduled, DH can be off for 2 days if needed, or he can care for the kids, what have you. I asked the MW about this option, and she said they can't do that anymore. The hospital really isn't a VBAC hospital (are any of them really?), and even though they used to do that all the time, they can't do them now. I do have the option of scheduling a repeat csection, which I have wondered all this time if it would end up that way anyway. I don't know why, maybe because of the lost twin, then the PROM, then the blood pressure issues which seem to all be stable now for a long time. Maybe I just feel like there is some kind of doom and gloom waiting around the corner. I have never felt this way about any upcoming birth, except with #6 when we were having the homebirth, then my water was broke for 90 hrs before we went in for the meconium issue.

I knew that a RCS is always an option. I don't like the idea of using it, as my husband had mentioned yesterday as it were, that we have many more years of pregnant years ahead. He does NOT like the fact that I still carry the VBAC label after 6 natural births. The MW didn't say that I have special needs, therefore she is referring me out because of her situation. She could have, I guess, but they can't drop you the last month, legally. And, we have been doing very well at this practice. Fortunately, I know this other OB, as I had one after Corbin's birth in the ER, and I had the other as her back up OB when I had Coral-Lee in the hospital for the meconium. No problem for me. I would just rather have a woman if I am having a VBAC, but if I choose RCS, then it really doesn't make any difference, a competant surgeon will do.

Now, the recovery of a RCS is going to be tougher with the number of children that I have, although they are really helpful and good about things. My son has wrestling, and I am his ride home almost everyday. Either way, I need to arrange some transportation for him anyway. I still have so much to do, and so glad that I go overdue anyway. I really wouldn't want to do an RCS before 7 days late anyway, which would be Dec 26th. Isn't that crazy? The dr would want to do it before Xmas day, since I could always end up in labor and ruin his family day. They have Dec 24th as the due date, I know it really is Dec 19th. But, that probably means having the baby naturally Dec 29th-Jan 3rd.

The other thing is money. If the baby comes on the 1st, they will slam me with huge deductibles, just becuase it is a new year. My other option is to stay home and have the baby there if it is after the 1st, and the MW agreed that is an option, but I really am not comfortable with that whole thing. I am really not wanting to nearly bleed out again. Now, I don't know that it would happen again. I am taking my RRL tea again. The U/S showed the other baby has been reabsorbed, so that is good news, as it wasn't the case the last time. I am really small, but it is all baby, so that is good too. I don't know that a RCS would be too hard to recover from, as I think that I am a perfect candidate for it. OTOH, I know a csection is more risky for me and the baby, but an RCS is preferable to an emergency one.

Well, I don't know how much insight anyone can give me here, and I don't want to burden anyone. I just figured if anyone could tell me how an RCS recovery really is, that would be helpful. I have ALWAYS been very pro-natural crunchy homebirth type. I don't know that it is instincts telling me to go ahead and just sign up for it, or just fear of the unknown and the unpredictability of the whole thing. That has always been a big issue of mine about birth, is the not knowing when it is going to happen, or how close baby is to coming, etc. I am really a control freak, and to have 6 natural, God timed, babies is a pretty good track record.

Well, thanks for listening. Kymberli

Advertisement

fwlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Fishie Kisses's Avatar
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJV, CA
Posts: 17,654
My Mood:
Re: RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

I've never had a c/s or vbac, so I really cannot offer advice in that area, but I wanted to tell you to call your insurance company...they cannot charge you a second deductible just because you deliver in the new year. It's still the same claim. My ODS was born Jan 15 and I only paid the one deductible.
__________________
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
sharon_k's Avatar
sharon_k
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/W New Jersey
Posts: 1,440
My Mood:
Re: RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

B/c you're due this year, and your claim from the ob was preapproved by the insurance company already, I don't think they can charge you the new year's deductibles if you go past the end of this month.

Otherwise, sorry I can't be of more help. Never had c/s....I am sure you will make the right choice
__________________
Sharon~wife to J, SAHM to A, H & R. Baby J born 9/23/11! It's a BOY!And baby T born 6/5/14!!! Another boy!
sharon_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
fanatic4cloth's Avatar
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern Belle
Posts: 3,329
My Mood:
Re: RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

Hi momma so sorry your situation.I had a section 11 years ago an emergency one.my son was breech. Well then 4 years later had a successful vbac. Then 5 years later was set to have a vbac.and my husbands job took us to another state. So if I would have known that I probably would not have moved until after babe. Because that state was not vbac friendly. They would not do a vbac. Liability was too high. So I got sectioned again. Now to my 5th child. Here they would do a vbac2 but only 1 dr does it and his practice is extremly busy and where he delivers is too far with traffic. So I opted to do a rcs. I did not make it to my scheduled section date like I figured I wouldn't. So went to the hossy and did a section on a sunday. The epidural wore off in the section I could feel everything the cutting, the pulling the stapling etc. But my daughter is worth it. If I would have known the epi was so crappy I would never have gotten it and would have went with a spinal as I had before. You have to stay in bed with an epi. And it is causing me spinal headaches waiting on the anesthia dr to call me back ob referred me back to them. Anyhow. No matter which route you go. I hope everything works out for you! But if you do a section don't get an epidural!!! Ughhhh it has made my recovery horrible. With my others I came home and bounced right back quickly.
__________________
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #5
fwlady's Avatar
fwlady
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 545
Re: RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

TY ladies so much. I don't think that my OB actually charges the insurance company until I deliver. Ouch! Well, they must, because I already met my person deductible for the first U/S, so I have to pay for that. But, I know that they mentioned that they charge at the end for the whole thing, copays and everything. I have paid for some copays already, to reduce my bill. And, luckily, the insurance had switched it to a $20copay in Aug, just after I started going, down from the $40 copays they were requiring. And, since I had to start going weekly (after bi-monthly so much sooner than I really prefer), it is getting expensive.

I will call them both though. to figure out if they can get this all established now so I don't get hit again. I never considered that.

I also had a spinal with my first csection, and it would be the only way I would ever go, because of the risk of a failing epidural. Although, I have considered asking for the epi for birth. LOL I usually go so fast from any actual pain, that it really is silly for me to consider such a thing, except for my 1st VBAC, and my 4th child, because with the 4th, I "naturally" induced and she was brow presentation. The others have been pretty quick. Part of my issue is just that. I don't have time to get my DH home once labor is really underway. I do have some false labor at times, and don't want to call him home on a false alarm, as he only has 2 vacation days left this year.

I never ever thought I would ever say that I wish an induction was an option, but I do. It would take care of many of my issues, except the PPH thing, because they don't seem to know how to really care for that. So, whether I have that at home, in the ambulance, or at the hospital, it is will be an issue if it is an issue at all, regardless. The bizarre thing about that is that I probably have that clotting disorder, as it is in my family, and should probably get tested. So, although I clot well, the bleeding just doesn't want to stop altogether, it seems. Which could be a grand multipara thing moreso than anything else.

Anything in my spine (again) terrifies me, mostly because of the pain, so that really isn't something I want to do again. I have terrible fear of needles. But, I know they will insist on a heplock anyway, and so I will get poked at least once. They have a laboring pool, but again, they want VBACs to come in late. Once waters have broke, the pool is out. But, they let me shower for pain relief last time.

So sorry that I don't make much sense. I know another VBAC recovery would be so much easier. I have got to make some phone calls. Kymberli
fwlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,442
Re: RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

Oh mama, I definately would not want to schedule a RCS. It will all work out. You can see from my siggy that we too have many little ones and hope to have many more. I have had 2 c-sec. The 3rd and the 7th(which should not have been, should have just listened to my hubby - long story) Should have trusted him and God's will. My 5th, 6th, and 8th were all unassited births. And our 9th will be as well. :O)
If you want to talk -- pm me and give me your phone number and I can call you, I am pretty sure our phone bundles package lets us call into the United States as well. Easier to talk details on the phone. I am thinking about you lots.
__________________
Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
fwlady's Avatar
fwlady
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 545
Re: RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

TY ladies so much. And, I will PM you, 7arrows, when I get a moment.

DH and I talked, and I talked to my friend. She said that she would do anything for us, if that means she takes the kids after dropping me off to the hospital. She is suppose to be my support person, but if DH isn't here, and no one else is available, our last resort is for her to take the kids or stay with them. Her husband is home all the time, so he can care for their large brood.

We also all decided that if DH is home, he will care for the kids, and she will be my support person. He would rather skip the birth, and have a clean new baby to hold. He just doesn't do birth. So, if all is well, that is the plan. They will switch off if things get crazy. But, we are expecting that things will go fine, as they have with me in the past.

I also remembered that we do have the Methergine in our safety deposit box, which was for this birth anyway, that I totally forgot about. So, I can still get that, and have a UC. It is the PPH thing that concerns me the most, and I guess part of me thought that having an RCS would guarantee that I wouldn't have a bleeding problem. But, I do know that isn't necassarily true.

DH also said that although he has 2 vacation days before the 1st, he gets all 2 weeks after, so if we were to opt for a RCS (and he wants me to do whatever is more comfortable for me), then he can take up to that to help with me and the kids. That would also put the baby overdue, and I really think she will be born before the first.

With all the loose stools I have been having the last 2 days, I do wonder if she could end up being early. LOL

The holiday weeks, he has 2 overnights back to back, and then a 3 day holiday for XMas and New Years. So, we could try to move things along during that time. Probably be more successful after New Years. But, the last time we "naturally" induced, it was a very hairy situation, and although we got lucky that it all turned out okay, that child does have special needs, that could be from the birth. Everything was fine until I had an urgency to push her out, and her cord came out limp. She pinked up right away, but was a floppy baby and wouldn't nurse at first. Her differences could also be from in utero seizures that I suspect she had, so we really don't know for sure which way it was. And, it doesn't really matter, I suppose. I am just hesitant to naturally induce without any monitoring. KWIM? And, a hosp induction is out of the question.

Well, anyway, I am rambling. I think it will work out, I could still even have my UC again. I just really want my DH here, whether it is with me or at home. Part of the reason we decided he should be with the kids, is because my 2yo who has medical needs could be traumatized by both mine and his absence for such a long time. He is okay about being babysat, but I don't know how well he would do with just the kids and being cared for overnight. DH will have it hard enough, but DS would be better with him than a friend. So, it is a win win for him and DH since he just doesn't do birth. He loves babies and children, but doesn't like the birth thing. I am just now getting him to tolerate cloth diapers. LOL Kymberli
fwlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
fanatic4cloth's Avatar
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern Belle
Posts: 3,329
My Mood:
Re: RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

Kymberli if you go early there is someything called family medical leave act. You get up to 6 weeks unpaid to help care for a sick love one a newq child or adoption I don't know financially if you can risk him takuing a few days off but that is an option you can look into hope everything works out for you
__________________
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,442
Re: RCS vs homebirth that could be risky for me

What did you use naturally to induce? That you thought caused a problem.

Having a repeat c-sec, does not decrease your chance of hemorage. It can happen the same and actually I believe I had studied somewhere and has been mentioned somewhere on diaperswappers as well, there is actually and increase, after all they are opening you up and taking the placenta out before it was ready. So the worry of hemorage I do not think would justify a RCS. Just thoughts.
__________________
Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.