Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
misstinytoes
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Question How old is too old for a sippy cup?

I apologize if this has been discussed already, I don't come into this forum regularly I was watching Supernanny the other night and she was horrified that a 5 year old had a sippy cup. I have a 5 year old and she drinks out of a regular cup when we sit down at the table for a meal, but first thing in the morning I give her and my toddler both sippy cups of milk or juice and let them snuggle on the couch and watch tv before it's time to get ready for school. It's not that she can't use a regular cup, but she's 5 and doesn't really pay attention to what she's doing and there aren't many places she could put a regular cup down without the toddler getting into it, so I guess it's just easier to give her the sippy cup. Is that wrong? Should I just expect her to be responsible about a regular cup in the living room?

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old is too old for a sippy cup?

I don't think there should be an age limit on sippies. It's just what you're comfortable with. My 3yo doesn't take one, but that's because he refuses because "Daddy drinks out of a regular cup" I also don't let him eat/drink off the kitchen table, so if he spills it, it's no biggie.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
carmismom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you feel bothered by it you could get her a water bottle to use, basically it is the same thing. Also, remember that the Super Nanny does not have any kids!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

DSD is going to be 5 in Feb. She has a need to have water available to her all.the.time...she also tends to carry it all over the house too, and I'm fine with that...I do the same. No way is she going to have a regular cup and do that, not to mention between the two girls it'd be knocked over in a half a second. Granted, meals and stuff she drinks out of a regular cup.

Shoot, I use a waterbottle when I carry water all over the house, I guess that's my adult version of a sippy cup and Jo would be horrified by me :-P
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont see anything wrong with that. My 5yr old drinks from a regular cup most of the time and gets a sippy of water at bedtime
Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel it's wrong if she doesn't want it anymore. So if she's fine with them go for it!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Yep, water bottles are the same thing and adults carry them all over the place. That's exactly what I told my sister who kept saying stuff about my kids having sippys and hers didn't anymore. It must have made sense to her because she quit saying stuff and I've seen her 5 year old have water in a sippy again. I only see it as a problem if something like this happens. My other sister took her ds off a bottle at 12 months but started giving him a sippy of milk instead. No problem except he took it to bed with him and ended up with almost all the teeth in his mouth having baby bottle tooth decay from his sippy. That still didn't stop her. Once his teeth were fixed with caps on all of them, she let him continue with taking a sippy of milk to bed with him because all the teeth were covered anyway. That went on until he was almost 5 and she was pregnant with another baby. She finally threw them all out.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not sure. For my kids I think 2 is too old. As long as she knows how to use a regular cup then that's fine. If she doesn't that's a life skill that a normal 5 year old is capable of and should know how to do it.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
bellaprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SuperNanny would be horrified by me. My DDs had bottles until they were 2, yup I said it, 2. They are now 4 and 2.5. They can both drink out of a regular cup, but if they aren't at the table, they have a sippy sup. since I take my drink with me, I don't feel like I can limit their drinking to the kitchen. I really think that the decision is up to you, as a parent. I am sure she won't graduate hig school with a sippy cup.
Maggie(10.21.05) & Avah(06.01.07)
bellaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dislike "magic ages" that things are suddenly not okay. Who cares? Until they give away carpet on Saturday's for free, the sippy is my best friend! There are appropriate/inappropriate uses for everything.