Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
bellaprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old is too old for a sippy cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
I dislike "magic ages" that things are suddenly not okay. Who cares? Until they give away carpet on Saturday's for free, the sippy is my best friend! There are appropriate/inappropriate uses for everything.
I agree!

Advertisement

Maggie(10.21.05) & Avah(06.01.07)
bellaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
TanajaPerry
Registered Users

My Mood:

i think yes and no. if its the baby sippys with the spouts, i definately say 5 is too old, 2 is too old for that matter. but if its the kid with not spout and it's made like a real cup then i think it's okay. my ped dentist said the only reason they don't recommend sippys after a certain age is because the spout can damage the teeth. i do know for a fact they make them and on the package it says ages 3 and up and it's for teaching your kids how to drink out of a regular cup. but, if you feel it's weird, give her a water bottle. i got one from the dollar store that didn't leak. nothing would come out unless you sucked on it. either way, it's what YOU want for you children. yes. jo frost has some awesome tips but i also highly doubt your kids act like any of the beast on that show =)
TanajaPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
I dislike "magic ages" that things are suddenly not okay. Who cares? Until they give away carpet on Saturday's for free, the sippy is my best friend! There are appropriate/inappropriate uses for everything.
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
rle376@hotmail.com
Registered Users
seller

My four and 1/2 year old drinks out of a regular cup 90% of the time, but I have no problem giving him a sippy to protect my car, furniture, etc. Would Jo even let a kid have a drink away from the table? I like her, but she's just a bit too structured for my taste. But that's her job, huh?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
doodah
Registered Users
seller

totally agree with the nakedbabytoes. I have seen some supernanny episodes and i think the issues she has with them is that mom is viewing her kids as babies in more than one way. some kids will ask for big kid things and mom will say no in an effort to keep her babies babies. i think it is that mentality that supernanny is against maybe more than the actual sippys. one episode i saw, there was sippys and bottles for preschoolers plus they were treated like babies in many other ways. it wasn't just the sippy cup.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Angel89411
Banned

My son is 19 months and takes a straw cup. His own choice. He one day decided he wanted to drink from a straw in one of our cups. As soon as he got the hang of that, he wouldn't take anything else.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Blah. My almost 2 year old is pretty competent with a regular cup or glass. That is what she uses at mealtimes. However when we go out and she's in the stroller or the car or just for water during the day since she walks around the house with it... we use a sippy. I plan on using a sippy for a while! What's the difference? Adults use 'sippys' (sports water bottles etc) when out and about or at their work desk, why can't kids?

Last edited by jeebee; 12-11-2009 at 07:51 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
Masonsmommy06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stopped them at 2 1/2
Ashley~Wife to Martin~Mom to~Mason Karl 2/23/06 & Grace Nevaeh 7/26/07. Furmom to Peri 5-2-10 & Angel 04 & Aunt to Elisabeth Astrid 12/12/06, Stephen Lee 12/18/08, John Drake 12/22/10, Rayne Lyn 5/6/12, Connor Maxwell 7/11/12, Sarah Renee 3-7-13, & Rabecca May 4-20-13
Masonsmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #19
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it also depends on the cup - if it still has the stop spout then children have to suck to get the liquid out . . . it isn't good for their teeth (I was told). There are many sport like bottle out there and I think that is fine around the house but sitting at the dinner table w/ a sippy at 5 is too old, as a Preschool & Pre-K teacher we stop sippies cup when they go to Toddlers . . . at 2. My daugther is starting Monday and it will be a change for her to use a reg. cup, but it is a learnign process.

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

We use KK bottles, and Siggs here. DD will still use the avent tops on the kleens, but prefers the water bottle spout on the sigg. She is 3.
The family I nannied for let their kids have sippy cups for their water at night, and her kids were 4 and 6, but they both used regular cups at the table.

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote